The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old November 5, 2014, 08:25 PM   #1
RetiredMajor

Bought a Ruger LCR 9mm today

My local gun store had one and the price was right! They had just gotten it in. It came with just three moon clips so I'll need some more. I should get to the range this weekend with it. I've always wanted a 9mm revolver and the LCR is a proven design. Looks like fun! Major

Last edited by RetiredMajor; November 5, 2014 at 09:48 PM.
Old November 5, 2014, 09:23 PM   #2
skizzums

cool, I think you are the first to actually buy ne. they have been discussed to death, but haven't seen one for real. please let us know how it is.
Old November 5, 2014, 10:52 PM   #3
Elerius

Man, every time I check the Ruger website there's nothing new. Then a week later someone mentions that they just released something... a 9mm is out now? I might have to check one out. Had a .38 special version, one of the first, and I loved it. Shouldn't have sold it
Old November 6, 2014, 09:29 PM   #4
RetiredMajor

I'll do a simple review after I shoot it. I like the 9mm round and I reload for it as well as other calibers. I hope it will make a nice backup gun. It feels good in the hand. Major
Old November 6, 2014, 09:34 PM   #5
SARuger

I love my .38+p LCR (hammerless) Great CC gun. I would love to test drive the 9mm
Old November 6, 2014, 09:36 PM   #6
Buckeye!

I will continue to look for one....
Old November 7, 2014, 06:52 PM   #7
gwpercle

I see where Charter Arms is making a revolver chambered in 9mm Luger that doesn't use or need moon clips. Called the Pitbull. J.B. Wood did a review of it in the March 2014 issue of Guns Magazine. Interesting for those who don't want to fool with moon clips.
Gary
Old November 7, 2014, 10:20 PM   #8
bedbugbilly

I had a .357 LCR but traded it off in favor of my Smith 36 snub. Mine was a good shooting revolver but I just preferred the 36. I would think that the LCR in 9mm would be a nice shooting pistol. I'll be interested in hearing your range report. Congrats on your new purchase!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old November 7, 2014, 11:56 PM   #9
Elerius

I was at the shop today ordering an LCP, by coincidence. I asked about the 9mm LCR but they have yet to actually receive any, so availability may be difficult for some of us. This is a pretty decent sized shop too. If they have one for rent in the range section I'll try one out myself
Old November 10, 2014, 10:07 PM   #10
ScotchMan

I really like the idea, I reload and shoot a lot more 9mm than .38, and have a lot more defensive ammo stockpiled as well. It makes a lot of sense logistically if you shoot 9mm primarily but use a snub situationally.

Of course, I have been asking for a 9mm snub forever, one got released, and I haven't run out and bought one, so I suppose I am part of the "9mm revolver" problem and not the solution.

NRA Instructor
NRA Member
Old November 11, 2014, 12:22 AM   #11
deerslayer303

My wife has a 38 LCR. With the factory grips I liked it alot, it shot great. But when I put the Crimson Trace laser grips on it, I absolutely hate squeezing off a defense round with it. The CT grips are smaller than the factory grip. And I have big hands. But she loves it and the CT grips. She has small hands and it fits her so thats all that matters. Cant wait to see what you think when you shoot it.
Old November 11, 2014, 12:48 AM   #12
Cheapshooter

I have a 38 Spcl. LCR. Great gun, and excellent carry revolver. It didn't come with any little springy thingies, and I don't need to buy more, or keep track of them.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old November 11, 2014, 07:58 AM   #13
Darker Loaf

Ooooh! I am jealous! I'll have to look for the LCR in 9mm now. I was checking places here, no luck so far. Definitely let us know how it shoots!
Old November 12, 2014, 06:53 PM   #14
VTRich

I picked one up in 9mm the other day. Shop just got two in. I stopped at another shop on the way home and hey had one too. So they are starting to find their way into the gun shops.
Old November 12, 2014, 11:19 PM   #15
Super Sneaky Steve

Looking forward to the review.

It would also be nice to see a .357 Mag cut for moon clips. That would give me the best of both worlds.
Old November 17, 2014, 05:36 PM   #16
Pawatch

I seen one at area LGS on Sat. Price was $499.00
Cylinder is bulkier than the 38 model and also weighs slightly more - Just from comparing the 2.
I would be interested to hear how it shoots also!
I'm not sure how I feel about the moonclips. One advantage for me would be that my EDC and the LCR ammo would be interchangeable.
Old November 19, 2014, 09:00 PM   #17
stolivar

I bought one today

Just bought one today and bought some extra moon clips for $15. Price was $566 or $578 out the door

Trigger pull is really good on this gun. Mood clips loaded up easier and the moon clips are very sturdy, much more than my taurus moon clips.

Didn't get to shoot it at any targets but it did shoot to pt of aim at a dirt bank approximately 7 yards.

steve
Old November 21, 2014, 03:49 PM   #18
RetiredMajor

I finally got out to the range this morning with my new 9mm LCR. I bought it a few weeks ago for $460.00, so $492.00 out the door with tax. It came with 3 moon clips. Here's my report.

1. The gun functioned fine with no errors of any sort.

2. The felt recoil is actually much less than my S&W 642 Airweight with 38 specials or my S&W Bodyguard 38 special. Maybe it's the weight of the gun or the grip angle and grips but it was very controllable and easy to shoot. It did not punish my hands the way the other, lighter guns do.

3. The gun does not have adjustable sights. Like many small revolvers it has a channel on the top strap and a ramped front sight. The front sight is colored bright white and is easy to see. Contrast that with the S&W Airweight which is all one color. I found out that I have to hold the front sight high in the channel, If I do that the gun hit at point of aim. I fired 50 rounds, approx half of them at 12 feet and the rest at 20 feet. Again, I just had to get used to the correct sight picture and the gun was accurate.

4. The trigger is absolutely amazing! It is a very smooth, consistent pull and I found it very easy to "stage" the trigger for accuracy. I didn't notice any take-up and it was very crisp. It is by far the best revolver trigger I have ever experienced.

5. This is my first experience with moon clips and while they appear fragile, they actually seem pretty strong. Once the moon clips are loaded it's actually easier to load the gun using moon clips than it is loading a 38 special with a speed loader. With the moon clips, the rounds jut fall into the chambers and there is no knob to twist or shaking loose to do. But, they are small and I found myself making sure I kept close track of them as I used them. I could see them falling or getting shoved aside and then they may be hard to find. I loaded the moon clips at home and just threw them in my coat pocket as i headed to the range to see how they would travel. They made the trip fine, but I admit I was not rough with them. I need to buy more, three is not enough.

6. I like the gun. It felt good in my hand. I have other 9mm's and I reload that caliber so I was intrigued with this gun. I will keep it. It'll make a nice backup gun to my other larger semi-automatics.

Thanks for reading!
Major
Old November 21, 2014, 11:58 PM   #19
deerslayer303

Thanks Major for the honest review. I like when guys give an UNBIASED review of a gun rather than a fan boy review because it theirs. I really didn't expect you to say anything bad about the LCR. I was thinking if it is anything like the 38 it ROCKS! I'm liking the whole Idea of a moon clip revolver.
Old November 23, 2014, 09:24 AM   #20
Dave Chuppa

I have the LCR357. Mid range 357 Defence loads are not bad to shoot. Wear the gun really shines is with 38+P. The xtra weight of the 357 gun and the cushioned backstrap of the Hogue Fingergroved Grip, you can shoot 38+P for extended periods. This and the smooth trigger make the gun easy to shoot accuratly. Follow up shots are no problem. I have been carrying this AIWB with a 442 in my pocket for back up.
Old November 23, 2014, 12:52 PM   #21
stolivar

back to what retired major said

I totally agree on his osbservation about the front sights. You do have to have them on the high side to hit POI.

That is what I like about it though, most of my snubbies you have to barely have the front sight above the post to hit POI. I also agree that the LCR9 has very manageable recoil.

steve
Old November 23, 2014, 04:23 PM   #22
Pawatch

Thank you for the through review!
Old November 25, 2014, 09:29 PM   #23
tomrkba

Bruce at Pocket Guns & Gear does a nice review it:

http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com/s...&max-results=1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICJZ6u5NcD4