The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old August 11, 2012, 10:13 PM   #1
Major Dave (retired)

Do you use a Thermacell while hunting?

I'm talking about the mosquito repellant generated by a propane gas cylinder heating up a cloth pad soaked in a chemical solution.

First, does it really keep the mosquitos away?

But, more importantly, to me, how safe is it for the person using it? I mean, if it produces fumes that are toxic to mosquitos, what is that stuff doing to you!?

I usually "camp out" in my p/u truck when I deer hunt, just kicking back the bucket seat to sleep. If I use the Thermacell to keep the mosquitos away while I sleep, don't I run the risk of breathing in toxic fumes?
Old August 11, 2012, 10:34 PM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I use a Thermacell.

I don't think the stuff is "toxic" to Mosquitos, I think it's offensive.

Yes, they work, very well in my experience. The only downside is that there's an "in between" wind condition that's strong enough wind to blow away the repellent but not strong enough to keep the bugs away. Sort of rare though. Mostly it works really well.

It does get pretty hot so you'll want to keep that in mind.

As far as if it's safe in closed quarters, I guess I'd read the package and call the company.
Old August 12, 2012, 09:28 AM   #3
shortwave

Use the Thermacell as well.

They work but as with Brian P, don't know about closed quarters.

Peppermint oil as well as catnip oil are both effect, natural mosquito repellants.

Though if you're in 'big cat' country, I'd be careful using the catnip oil trick.
You might wake up with a unwanted, large feline boyfriend licking your ear.
Old August 12, 2012, 10:05 AM   #4
grubbylabs

I love mine, I hunt the river bottoms with it and it does not spook the white tail but it does keep the skeeters away.

Nope, the old nag's still dead .
(Capt Charlie)
Old August 12, 2012, 10:15 AM   #5
grubbylabs

Quote:
large feline boyfriend licking your ear.
I wonder how long it would take the lick to turn into a little tasting?

(Capt Charlie)
Old August 12, 2012, 12:05 PM   #6
arch308

I have found them to be effective as long as the wind isn't too strong. Also I don't think they spook deer, at least I've never expierenced it. Can't say what happens out of sight downwind.
Old August 12, 2012, 01:47 PM   #7
Doyle

There are two type of hunters here in FL - those who bring a thermacell and those who wish they had brought their thermacell.
Old August 12, 2012, 03:29 PM   #8
grubbylabs

They burn up kinda quick but IMOP I think they are well worth it. I don't think a pad will last the whole night and it only turns off when you turn it off, but I don't think you will regret having one.

(Capt Charlie)
Old August 13, 2012, 08:08 AM   #9
warbirdlover

I don't bowhunt so never worry about mosquitos. That's one of the reasons I quit bowhunting. Either get eaten or scare the deer away with repellents.

Nothing beats gun hunting in a stand in 10ยบ F weather with snow on the ground!
Old August 13, 2012, 10:04 AM   #10
Saltydog235

I use a Thermacell and a Bug Tamer. Normally I'll turn the Thermacell on while I walk to the stand and first get up in it to clear them out. They aren't as bad when you've been in it a while and cleared them out. Some days are worse than others though, depends on the breeze and humidity IMO. They do work though. I'm not as convinced they don't spook deer though if the wind is right. Then again, its hard to remain scentless during the early season heat. They are safe to use, though. I never keep the thing directly on my hip, instead set it up in the stand so its out of the way but in the general vicinity to work.
Old August 15, 2012, 01:55 PM   #11
1tfl

I use one when still hunting.
They are almost worthless when stalking.
Old August 19, 2012, 11:37 AM   #12
Double Naught Spy

In a breeze, stalking, etc., worthless.

In a blind with good wind protection or on a day with no wind, works pretty well. The barrier around you that is claimed probably only works in a large room (like a warehouse) with virtually no air movement.

Seems to help with flies.

Does nothing for ticks and chiggers (and not claimed to do so, but so it is possible to still need replellant if you are in areas with ticks and chiggers. I have gotten both while using Thermacell, but not becasue of the chemical, but because of the method of dispersal.

The chemical is definitely poisonous.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/28...d-ingredients/
http://www.sciencelab.com/msds.php?msdsId=8134

Quote:
Inhalation: Harmful if inhaled. May cause respiratory tract irritation. The toxicological properties of this substance have not
been fully investigated. May cause an allergic response. High exposure may cause dizziness, shaking, irritability, seizures,
p. 2
an d loss of consciousness. Allethrin may cause an asthma-like allergy. Future exposure can cause asthma attacks with
shortness of breath, whe ezing, cough, and/or chest tightness.
My biggest complaints about Thermacells, however, is that I can't get one to stay running while in the holster it came with and sometimes not when out in the open. The piezo-electric starter is noisy and often require numerous "snaps" to get the unit up and running.
Old August 24, 2012, 12:06 PM   #13
Major Dave (retired)

Thanks for all the input, guys.

I bought one for $22.95. Package says it has "earth scent" pads. Couldn'tfind refill pads with "earth scent" Got the holster, also.

Haven't used it, yet.

Intend to dove hunt near a lake, in a creek bottom, so will get a good test of the Thermacell. Hope the wind isn't a problem.

We shall see what we shall see.
Old August 24, 2012, 12:36 PM   #14
Doyle

If your holster is like mine, it has the long straps with the push-together catches. If so, use those to hang the unit under your seat. It needs air flow to work and it works best if the unit is laying flat so that air can flow up vertically through the pad.

Also, if you find that you have more pads than butain cartridges there are ways to get more gas at a cheaper price than you would ordinarily pay. First way is to use the exact same cartridge but with a different package. Thermacell is made by Conair (the hair care company). In the hair care section at Walmart, they will sometimes sell the exact same butain cartridge made for the portable curling iron. The Thermacell packaged cartridges are almost $7 at Walmart while the curling iron labeled cartridges were a buck cheaper. I just bought 3 packs that way.

Then, if you want to get all handy, there are some Youtube videos that teach you how to refill them from a bulk container. I'm going to save the empties from my current stash and start refilling them.
Old September 18, 2012, 02:02 PM   #15
SurplusShooter

I love my thermacell. For bow season turkey hunting in the spring, fishing, or bow shoots you cant beat it. It beats the heck out of getting eaten alive by mosquitoes.