The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 10, 2014, 12:04 AM   #1
Prof Young

Finally used zip trim and . . .

Loaders:

I bought a lee zip trim a couple years ago, but wasn't real impressed thinking the collet was hard to use. I've never had to resize many cases so . . .

Well, I had over 100 223 cases that had finally become too long and set out to trim them "by hand" with the Lee trimmer tools. About ten cases in I remembered the zip trim, read the instructions set it up and after I got the hang of it found it to be most useful and relatively efficient. Good deal.

Live well, be safe
Prof Young
Old July 10, 2014, 01:18 AM   #2
tangolima

Yeah they are pretty good and low on start up cost. I have a whole of pilots for different calibers. But in retrospect, I probably would bite the bullet and buy something else. Their problem is you have to have pilot to trim anything. Certain odd ball caliber I load I simply can't find the pilot. I had to modify other to improvise. Also I can't trim length different from the pilot without having to endure some pain. Not ideal but pretty good enough for most situations.

-TL
Old July 10, 2014, 11:11 AM   #3
Smokey Joe

Lee Zip Trim...

Prof Young--Lee Zip Trim: Cheap, effective, quick. I bit the bullet and got the universal shell holder, which I like, although it is a little fussy. Unless you have hundreds and hundreds of cases to trim, I would not look elsewhere for a case trimmer.

BTW, I set up a caliper as a "Go gauge," set on a longish medium case length for whatever case is being considered, and pass all the cases through the caliper. If they won't slide through, the case gets trimmed. Saves trimming cases which in fact don't need it.

Oddball cartridges--I think Lee would probably custom-make a pilot for an oddball cartridge--You could certainly contact Lee and inquire. They custom-make dies, I know.

Contact: Lee Precision Inc, 4275 Hwy U, Hartford, WI 53027. www.leeprecision.com

--Smokey Joe

Last edited by Smokey Joe; July 10, 2014 at 11:15 AM. Reason: The usual--Had another thought.
Old July 10, 2014, 11:38 AM   #4
DelawareDevil

Try the Lee quick trim

I tried the Lee quick trim and found it very useful. Downfall is you have to buy separate dies for every caliber. Lately I've been looking at a trimmer and case prep center by Frankford Arsenal, where you change pieces on the trimmer so it's almost universal. All the changeover parts are supposed to be included.
Old July 10, 2014, 03:46 PM   #5
Prof Young

Checking pre trim length . . .

Smokey Joe:

On my necked rifle cases I do check the length of everyone and those that don't need a trim don't get one.

I really like our idea of setting a caliper at the correct length and anything that doesn't fit get's trimmed. That sounds like a time saver and I'll try that next time around.

Live well, be safe.
Prof Young
Old July 10, 2014, 04:41 PM   #6
30Cal

I chuck it in a drill.