The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 1, 2011, 02:27 PM   #1
dukhnt

Help with a custom Tony Barnes Sako.

Hi guys, first post here, nice to meet everyone, and thank you in advance for any help or suggestions.

I used to work at a gun shop while in high school / college. During that time I met an amazing guy named Tony Barnes. Some of you may have heard of Tony or seen some of the beautiful A1 Sako pistols he was famous for making. I had finally talked Tony into making one of these for me after bugging him for years and years. Sadly, he passed away not long after.
I was able to acquire one of Tony’s pistols from another close friend. The problem I have is that I don’t do any reloading, and have almost zero knowledge of the art. In order to shoot this pistol, I will need a great deal of help.

The caliber is a 6 BH. The “B” stands for Barnes (Tony’s last name) and the “H” stands for Harrett. (from Steve Harrett of Harrett Stocks). The brass starts out as a 30-30 and is transformed into this caliber after being necked down and several other alterations in order to work in the bolt action.

I was able to find a few pieces of brass, but no dies. There isn’t anyone local that I know of who would be willing or have the experience and knowledge to help me with this situation. Is there anyone here who might be willing to assist me with this issue? I of course would be willing to pay for the expenses and time. I’m not asking for a handout. It would be so nice to be able to shoot this pistol.

Here is a picture of the gun.

Old September 2, 2011, 12:07 AM   #2
Scorch

To get custom dies, you used to call a reloading die maker, send a chamber cast and a bunch of money, and you would get a set of dies. Most have quit doing this. I believe Redding Dies still does it, give them a call. If not, PM me and I will put you in touch with someone who can help you. Once you have dies, making ammo is not a big deal.
Old September 2, 2011, 01:28 AM   #3
Ideal Tool

Hello, dukhnt. First of all..Welcome to the site! You can't help but learn something here. That is a very nice looking pistol..fantastic wood.
Now then, May I suggest you get in touch with Huntington's..they carry RCBS dies..and can special order custom ones. Have you any fired brass from it? If not, like Scorch said..a chamber cast would be the safest way to find out what is in there...How about the former owner..perhaps he might be able to help. Best of luck.
Old September 2, 2011, 01:40 PM   #4
dukhnt

Thanks guys! I do have about 20 loaded cartridges and 20 or so empty brass.

I know there was a set of custom dies, I believe from RCBS, but they are nowhere to be seen.
Old April 20, 2012, 02:59 PM   #5
capt fun

Barnes Sako pistol

If you till need to know about that pistol I may be your Huckleberry. I have one in 6 BH 7BH or we prefer to call it the 7 Kvanvig and the only one ever made in 30 BH. I also have a variance made in 223 from a Remington XP. Tony was was one of my Best Friends until his death and I worked in his shop with him for thousands of hours. I have 2 sets of Hornady 6BH custom dies still in sealed boxes and have all the loading material for these rounds. My close friends and I have hunted all over the world with these pistols and have taken African and US big game with these. Only 42 were ever made and my two friends and I have 12 of them. Did your pistol belong to Mike before he died?