The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 26, 2009, 07:35 PM   #1
jstem

need help please, winchester 1200

I was recenly given a winchester 1200 buy my father, and am having trouble finding the info i need online. It is a smooth bore fixed choke. On the barrel under the model and chamber imprint it says "MOD." I think it meens modified choke... I am getting ready for a shotgun only hunt here on the Oregon coast and need to know if i can shoot slugs from this shotgun. And if so any recomendations on brand?
Old July 26, 2009, 08:00 PM   #2
Couzin

My understanding is that you can shoot rifled slugs out of your smoothbore with the modified choke, just not saboted slugs. You might still get some bulging though. Here is a Chuck Hawks discussion on slugs http://www.chuckhawks.com/shotgun_slugs.htm.
Old July 26, 2009, 08:18 PM   #3
lockedcj7

Modified should be fine with normal (foster) slugs. Improved cylinder is usually what is recommended by the slug and shotgun makers and Mod. is only a little tighter. They should shoot with no damage but may not give optimum accuracy. I've shot them through a 20 ga. full choke without a problem but I probably wouldn't do it again.

I haven't shot enough of them to have a brand preference and I've used Winchester and Remington regular old slugs.
Old July 26, 2009, 08:23 PM   #4
jstem

Thanks for the info.. i was thinking about using a brenneke green lighting slug and i'm pretty sure i wont have any problems, and should get good accuracy from them.

http://www.brennekeusa.com/web/pdf/G...htningHFSM.pdf
Old July 26, 2009, 09:51 PM   #5
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Only choke I won't shoot slugs out of is full choke, you are good to go with mod.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old August 1, 2009, 06:25 PM   #6
jrothWA

If I may...

suggest, look at "B-square for a side mount scope mount. this would allow you to get best accuracy.

Either the Foster or Brenneke, will be good, the Brenneke MAY give you additional range, but go for best grouping.
Old August 1, 2009, 07:04 PM   #7
PetahW

Yeah - The real problem with shooting slugs through your Win 1200 is consistant sighting for accurate shooting.

It might be a good idea to get a set of fiber-optic, clamp-on rifle sights for the barrel, just for slug hunting.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...con&hasJS=true

Old August 1, 2009, 07:41 PM   #8
SeekHer

My best accuracy with slugs is with a M - Mod - Modified fixed choke and an IM - ImpMod - Improved Modified fixed choke on another gun...

As long as you don't get the PolyWad, Quik-Shok sabot .68 slug anything can be fired out of a full choke, may not get the best accuracy as the slugs tend to like more open chokes...Not all rifled barrels are cylinder bore!

Only sabots may only be fired from rifled barrels only

A sabot is a smaller caliber bullet placed in a gel/plastic/cardboard sleeve or tube that fits inside a larger shell case and when fired, drops off (lags behind, actually) the bullet after leaving the barrel...

When the human race dies out, it will be because it was brainwashed to be so totally, completely, utterly safe that it no longer dared to keep on living