The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 15, 2009, 11:23 PM   #1
drstrangelove57

Bersa Thunder .380 mags

Hello all,

I'm currently in the process of upgrading my inventory. I have a Bersa Thunder .380 (sweet little gun) but only one mag. I had two questions:

1. Should I buy a factory mag or would one of these ProMags I keep seeing suffice?

2. Either way, any good recommended places to purchase from?

Thank you much for any advice. These forums are a lifesaver for me!
Old March 15, 2009, 11:25 PM   #2
Tex S

I bought a factory mag several years ago and it works great. Im sorry but I cant remember where I got it. Maybe CDNN???
Old March 16, 2009, 02:27 AM   #3
kandrus84

as far as price goes bersa pretty much bends you over for their extra mags but it's worth it in the long run. you can order them on bersa's web site. when you get there just goto the parts page and click on the model you have. it will bring up a list of parts and the price.
Old March 16, 2009, 05:54 AM   #4
JFN

I have two Promags for my Bersa Thunder C/C. Both of them have trouble feeding the last round, so I only use them at the range. Pushing down on the followers the Promags have noticeably softer springs, there is very little tension on the last round. So the slide will overrun the round and end up on top of it since the spring can't push it up fast enough.

I have 4 Bersa mags and they function 100%, so I won't be getting anymore Promags for mine.

Does anyone know of a spring supplier for Bersa mags? It doesn't appear that Wolff makes replacements. I think if I replaced the springs in the Promags they would function OK.
Old March 16, 2009, 11:11 AM   #5
michael t

pro mags are trouble
This will get you factory mags at a reasonnable price .http://condorsflight.com Fast service and is a member of http://bersatalk.com
PM sent
Old March 16, 2009, 01:08 PM   #6
HvyMtl

Factory only -

Bersa work better with the factory magazines, not off brand.

Do not buy off brand, unless you want feed issues.
Old March 16, 2009, 01:21 PM   #7
Creature

Why are mags so expensive for such a cheap gun?
Old March 16, 2009, 01:59 PM   #8
michael t

Bersa factory mags are approx same as PPK/S factory mags and the double stack 45 factory about same price as mags were for my POS Para ord. Which cost a lot more and didn't work even after warrenty work
You just hate this brand and take every chance to knock it Go get a life. Their are many more happy owners than unhappy . Kimbers have a higher complaint on internet than Bersa. S&W had to recall all their PPK/S PPK copies . But we all know that fine with people like you. just a little problem Company will make them right. Go bash something else.
Old March 16, 2009, 02:02 PM   #9
Creature

How did I bash? Are Bersa's expensive?
Old March 16, 2009, 02:03 PM   #10
daferg2

Thanks for the link Michael T.

I just ordered an extra mag for my Thunder 380.

For everyone else, stay away from ProMags. I made the mistake of buying two for the above mentioned gun and they aren't reliable.
Old March 16, 2009, 02:12 PM   #11
ttman

lol daz how they make ends meet
Quote:
Old March 16, 2009, 02:16 PM   #12
Creature

Why are owners so darn sensitive about their Bersa's? Its a very well known fact that Bersa pistols are inexpensive.
Old March 16, 2009, 02:34 PM   #13
michael t

And its a well know fact around here that you and a couple other never miss chance to bad mouth them in some way. If you don't like them fine Have many many people that do and more buying every day. Many thanks to you and other always bashing You are good for membership at http://bersatalk.com I do give you that

With you and a few others like you. Will more than double membership this year.
Mags holsters grips Soon to be CT lasor grips for the 380 Thunder can all be found at bersatalk.
Old March 16, 2009, 03:11 PM   #14
Creature

Quote:
With you and a few others like you. Will more than double membership this year.
I seriously doubt that.
Old March 16, 2009, 03:26 PM   #15
Wildalaska

Why is Creature being abused for asking a simple and quite legitimate question.

WildidliketoknowtheanswertooAlaska ™
Old March 16, 2009, 03:50 PM   #16
michael t

I answered his question Bersa factory mags are in line with other company mags.
If thats a problem oh well . Bersa makes their mags Their not contracted out.

I suppose you will now knock CT when they release their new laser grips for the Bersa Thunder in next couple months .

Your another one of the always bash the Bersa So no matter what owners or I say. You will have somthing to say against the pistols or the company . Your no longer worth a response or are your friends. :barf:
Old March 16, 2009, 03:52 PM   #17
Creature

...was there a question in there? It was kinda hard to read your post with all the misspellings, missing punctuation marks...and missing words.
Old March 16, 2009, 03:52 PM   #18
daferg2

Quote:
The same reason ALL firearm companies charge so much for a piece of stamped steel and a spring. The same reason printer companies charge so much for ink refills. they're not charitable organizations.

Quote:
Why are owners so darn sensitive about their Bersa's? Its a very well known fact that Bersa pistols are inexpensive.
Quote:
Why is Creature being abused for asking a simple and quite legitimate question.
Because most Bersa owners, including me, who happen to own completely functional and reliable examples are bombarded by net-experts trying to prove we don't.
Old March 16, 2009, 03:55 PM   #19
Creature

But I asked a legitimate question. I didn't bombard or bash anyone or anything.
Old March 16, 2009, 04:04 PM   #20
daferg2

Quote:
But I asked a legitimate question. I didn't bombard or bash anyone or anything.
True, and I wasn't offended by your wording of question. I think some may be concerned with the inflection of your question.

All gun makers charge a premium for their magazines. In a free market world, they'll charge whatever the market will bear. Bersa is in the game to make a buck. How many businesses aren't?

Gosh, I hope I spelled everything correctly.

Actually, in your first post above, you did call them cheap. That's not the same as inexpensive.

Last edited by daferg2; March 16, 2009 at 04:09 PM.
Old March 16, 2009, 05:56 PM   #21
Creature

Quote:
Actually, in your first post above, you did call them cheap. That's not the same as inexpensive.
Yes, I did. And yes, it is.

Quote:
CHEAP
–adjective
1. costing very little; relatively low in price; inexpensive: a cheap dress.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/cheap
Quote:
CHEAP
adjective
1. costing little money or less than is usual or expected
http://dictionary.cambridge.org/defi...2760&dict=CALD
Old March 16, 2009, 06:24 PM   #22
daferg2

Quote:
But you, as well as micheal t, were and still are mistaken. I had no tone...or "inflection" when I asked my question. It was a simple and straight forward question.
If this is the case, you have my sincere apology.

I do get tired of the constant gun-snobbery Bersa bashing. I own many semi-auto's. I have high-end models through the entire range down to what you'd call "cheap". The simple truth is my Sig's, H&K's, S&W's, Walther's, Ruger's, FN's, SA XD's, CZ's, etc., are no more reliable than my lowly Bersa's. Some here take every opportunity to run the brand down. I'm sure there have been legitimate examples of bad quality, but mine, and the others I know that own them, can't just be "lucky" somehow.

Now if someone wants to defend ProMag, I'll argue with them to the end. They're crap and I don't know anyone that has ever been happy with a ProMag magazine.
Old March 16, 2009, 06:45 PM   #23
Wildalaska

Quote:
I do get tired of the constant gun-snobbery Bersa bashing.
Why do you assume its gun snobbery? Are you saying that I, for one, have no idea of what I am talking about ? Creature himself has personally owned a Bersa, have you not creature? Is he therefore a snob?

WildispeakfromtheperspectiveofagunpersonAlaska ™
Old March 16, 2009, 07:12 PM   #24
daferg2

Quote:
Why do you assume its gun snobbery? Are you saying that I, for one, have no idea of what I am talking about ? Creature himself has personally owned a Bersa, have you not creature? Is he therefore a snob?
Wildalaska, You bring a unique perspective to this forum as a gun shop owner and I always read your posts with great interest. I appreciate your opinions knowing that you have dealt with the people who actually buy and use these products. That being said, you are one of the most vocal anti-Bersa folks here. I simply can not accept that they are all junk (to hear you talk). There are many people out here that have been utterly satisfied with the performance and reliability of our Bersa firearms. How can both be true?

I believe there are gun snobs here, people that are only loyal to name on their gun or the price they paid for it. I don't buy or use guns based on the name. I use what works for me (or my shooting friends). If it didn't work for Creature, I'm sorry. It doesn't change my experience.

One of the most jam-prone weapons I ever owned was a Sig P225. If I followed conventional wisdom here, I'd be up on a soap box trying to steer people away from such an obvious POS. BUT, I'm not going to let the performance of a single gun drive me away from other Sig's or even other P225's (yes, I know you had lots of Bersa's come back, so you're not talking about a single example). I'd rather see people just state that "it didn't work for them" or "I had many come back to my shop" rather than an outright condemnation of the brand.

Don't be mad at me Wildalaska, I may need to order something from you sometime and I'd rather you be my friend.
Old March 16, 2009, 08:06 PM   #25
Creature

Wow! A Bersa owner...with a sense of humor!