The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 1, 2000, 08:11 PM   #1
Kenneth L. Walters

Anyone know where you can buy RCBS primers in those strip they make?
Old May 1, 2000, 09:21 PM   #2
SKR

Your local dealer.
Old May 1, 2000, 10:08 PM   #3
Kenneth L. Walters

Give me a break! I've never been able to find a store that carries them.
Old May 2, 2000, 12:06 AM   #4
Mal H
Staff

Midway has them for $3.49 per 8 pack of empties.
Old May 2, 2000, 12:42 AM   #5
blades67

Your local dealer can order them for you. My favorite dealer will order almost anything I'm willing to pay for. I can't imagine your local dealer wouldn't do the same for you.

------------------
Guns cause crime like spoons cause Rosie O'Donnell to be fat!

I hunt, therefore I am.
Old May 2, 2000, 01:09 AM   #6
SKR

Here's how the conversation goes...

"Hello, Mr. Gundealer. I'm looking for some of those CCI primers that cmoe in the plastic strip."

"Sorry, son, but we don't have any."

"Well, gee, Mr. Gundealer, if I order 5000, would you be kind enough to get them for me?"

"Why sure son. I can order them this afternoon, and they'll be here in three days."

"Oh golly gee, Mr. Gun Dealer, that would really be nice of you!"

"No problem, son. But I do require payment in advance on special orders."

See how simple it is?

Old May 2, 2000, 10:18 AM   #7
Kenneth L. Walters

I've tried a local order. The store could not find a distributor who had them. I've e-mailed most of the distributors I know of. They don't carry them. This has not been the high point of getting useful information here!
Old May 2, 2000, 11:40 AM   #8
SKR

Well, I just checked with several of my distributors. And 6 out of 6 have them. (The 6 distributors were listed in the originaly message, but since Kenneth decided to call me a jerk in e-mail...let him find his own!)

I strongly suggest you find another dealer, if none of his suppliers carry them.

Or....if you want, have him send me a signed copy of his FFL, and I'll send you 5000 of each size you need, to his address.

[This message has been edited by SKR (edited May 02, 2000).]
Old May 2, 2000, 11:50 AM   #9
SKR

Forgot to mention cost...(The price list was included in the original message, but since Kenneth is such a friendly person...I've eliminated it with this edit.)

On second thought, after receiving your e-mail where you called me a jerk...and then had the balls to ask for my distributors' phone numbers and/or email addresses...I wouldn't sell you a damn thing!

[This message has been edited by SKR (edited May 02, 2000).]
Old May 2, 2000, 12:03 PM   #10
Bill Hebert

As a last resort, you can order direct from RCBS 1-800-533-5000. The catalog does not list loaded strips. Only unloaded and the loading tool are listed. Tool- $24.95 and strips $2.95/pack of 8.
Old May 2, 2000, 12:19 PM   #11
Kenneth L. Walters

The first place I tried was RCBS and Huntington's. Neither had them.
Old May 2, 2000, 01:49 PM   #12
Mal H
Staff

Can I assume the Midway tip was useless?
Old May 2, 2000, 01:53 PM   #13
Kenneth L. Walters

Midway doesn't have them according to their e-mail earlier today. Neither does Sinclair International, RCBS, or Huntington's. I haven't yet heard back from Old Western Scrounger.
Old May 2, 2000, 02:03 PM   #14
Bill Hebert

Ken, as I understand it RCBS and CCI Blount developed the system (both divisions of the same company). Did RCBS give a reason why they didn't have the strips? Are they not going to support a product they introduced less than two years ago? I received the RCBS catalog 2000 yesterday in the mail and I did find the loaded primer strips on page 37. They list 4 different types of small rifle strips, 4 large rifle strips, 2 small pistol strips, 2 large pistol strips, and even 50 caliber primers. There were several vendors selling them at recent local gun show. If anything, you should realize the guys here ARE trying to help you.
Old May 2, 2000, 02:15 PM   #15
Kenneth L. Walters

The problem is that this isn't technically speaking an RCBS product. It is a CCI product. Thus RCBS referred me to CCI. Five months and numerous phone calls later I talked them out of 1000 primers but that was it.

CCI intends to keep making these primers but the problem seems to be order size. For a distributor to carry them they have to order A LOT! Huntington's refused to do that because of the size of the order that they would have had to place.

You can find the empty strips easily enough but, well, loading them is a pain. I want to buy loaded strips. So far that has not proved possible despite the childish cheap shots of some of the posts put up recently.
Old May 2, 2000, 03:54 PM   #16
Mal H
Staff

Ah ha! Sorry Ken, I was under the impression from the beginning that you were looking for the RCBS primer strips not the strips with primers.

I just talked with Natchez Shooters Supplies as I was making another order and he said "we have plenty". So you might want to give them a call at 1-800-251-7839. The smallest order is 1000, just like it is for regular primers. Example: order number CC0084 is for 1000 CCI #300 (lrg pistol) in APS strips - $16.58.
Old May 2, 2000, 06:46 PM   #17
Kenneth L. Walters

Thanks! I'll call them first thing tomorrow.