The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old November 29, 2005, 10:03 PM   #1
taylorce1

Cry Wolf!

Thought I would ask you full auto guys, because you shoot lots of ammo. I can get Wolf Ammunition almost as cheap or cheaper than I can handload my .223. I bought my first AR-15 rifle and since my press is only single stage it takes a while to stock up on ammo. I've been shooting .223 in bolt actions and single shots for years but I'm worried about the steel cases feeding in my AR.
Old November 29, 2005, 10:12 PM   #2
Asmodeous

It can be hard of the extractor, but a new extractor is cheap. Haven't broken one yet though.
Old November 30, 2005, 02:54 AM   #3
Ac1d0v3r1d3

ammo

why not try mil surp ammo?
i hear its pretty cheap
Old November 30, 2005, 10:13 AM   #4
boofus

I use nothing but Wolf in my FNC. Haven't had a single problem yet. The new polymer stuff is better than the old lacquered.

It is a little less powered than milspec so on guns with variable gas settings you might have to turn up the gas a little to make it cycle reliably.
Old November 30, 2005, 06:48 PM   #5
Smurfslayer

Hey Boof...

What mags are you using just out of curiosity.
and about how many wolf rounds have you gone through?

I've been pumping a steady stream of "lake city" overrun through my FNC. I've had exactly 1 problem - A friend aske me to verify a magazine he was about to use in his m16. Fired 1 round; choke. It was a UK mfgr. new in the wrapper mag, and gave him trouble too... of course, it's an m16, "trouble" is to be expected

I've been using the GI contract mags with 100% success.
Old December 2, 2005, 10:29 AM   #6
boofus

I've been using the D&H USGI contract mags and so far 0 problems. I've only put about 800 rounds through it because I hate cleaning it

I have a new H&K mag I want to try out on it.
Old December 4, 2005, 11:49 AM   #7
Samuel_Hoggson

Wolf .223

I have over 5k through my 16s using various uppers (all Colt). Zero ammo problems. Only failures are mag (always those frickin' Orlites that I'm trying to kill - don't buy Orlites!!!) related. The stuff is underpowered and will not reliably cycle my friends LMG upper, but works 100% in my 11.5s, 14.5s, and A1 and A2 20s.

I keep hearing about extractors and have yet to break anything. Obviously, the economics argument would prevail anyway. Heck, buy a complete upper with the savings.

Actually, I very much appreciate the steel cases as range cleanup is required at one of my favorite shoots. A long-handled power-mag is a joy to use.

I have something like 20k stockpiled at the moment. I trust it far more than my own reloads. RRs are too dear these days to play games with crap ammo. Wolf is inexpensive and dirty, but it is not crap ammo.

Sam
Old December 4, 2005, 01:55 PM   #8
taylorce1

Thanks for all of the input on wolf ammo. I just bought 1000 rounds for 13.5 cents a round and I figured that it would cost me 13 cents a roud to reload and about 10 hrs of my time. I'll spend my time shooting and not at the reloading bench for a half cent. My mags are all good gov issue 20 round mags I've aquired quite a few over the years, I've got about 150 of them so I don't think I'll run out.