The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old May 11, 2012, 11:22 PM   #1
madmax1854

Suppressed SBR AR build advice

I just purchased a Thunderbeast .223A suppressor and an Aeroprecision AR lower to be registered as an SBR, the paperwork is currently getting signed at the Sheriff's office (hopefully).

Its been a while since I've owned an AR, and it was a varminter.

I started looking at options at how to build my lower, it was daunting to say the least. So many options, and I dont know how to seperate the wheat from the chaff. My intent is to have a fun, small, relatively quiet rifle to plink with, maybe hunt some small feral hogs, and definitely keep as one of my SHTF rifles (the main SHTF rifle being my SOCOM II, love it). I want a good, clean trigger, collapsible stock, large charging handle, high quality lower parts kit. I plan on having an 18" upper for long range precision in addition to a shorty upper.

Also, which barrel length would allow the shortest OAL with suppressor while not hamstringing me too much from reduced velocity? I was thinking 10.5-12 inches. And would a 1/7 twist rate be the best? I'd shoot the heavier bullets for hunting, but would also want to be able to shoot cheap 55-62 gr surplus in bulk.
Old May 12, 2012, 06:25 AM   #2
David Hineline

Have you shot a .223 silencer on an AR/M16 type firearm, the gas blowback from the ejection port is killer if you shoot left handed, most right handed people are ok with it.

I always run a 30 cal silencer on my .223 semi autos cause as a lefty they choke me out.

If I was building it, I would use the MagPlul MOE buttstock 11,5" barrel with a latching QD type silencer.

If you are going to use a thread on silencer, you can use a Nord Lock washer to keep it tight, but will need a glove to routinely check that hot silencer that it has not shook loose on the threads while shooting fast.
Old May 12, 2012, 07:55 AM   #3
madmax1854

The thundebeast is a thread on, but thats a good idea about the washer.

Would a "gas buster" charging handle keep the blowback venting down if I use a DI upper? I am right handed.

Thanks
Old May 12, 2012, 04:16 PM   #4
David Hineline

There is the gas buster charging handle, a company that makes a forward assist button that vents the blowback gas down, all of these things will help. A gas tube or upper with adjustment capabilites will also help.

Look at the website of your silencer, they have a man shooting your silencer choice on a shorty M16, after shooting he wanted gloves and goggles. On your semi auto it will not gas as bad as a full auto does but know it will be there.
Old May 13, 2012, 04:28 PM   #5
pdogkilr

I went with piston uppers to help with the gas blow-back. Still get some, but not as bad as with DI. I also used 10.5" barrels. That is about as short as I wanted to go and not be abusive to the can. For mounting, I chose the AAC Blackout Muzzle Brake. It has two baffles to take the brunt of the initial fireball. I have one registered SBR lower and two uppers, one in 5.56 the other in 6.8 SPC. Each upper has its' own AAC M4-2000 Mod-8 Suppressor. The system works and is two tons of fun to shoot.
Old May 29, 2012, 12:02 PM   #6
Rebok87

The W.A.R. receiver will fix that blow back problem.

http://www.gunn-fighter.com/innovati...-receiver.html
Old May 29, 2012, 04:29 PM   #7
tepin

Some Noveske models use a Switchblock (adjustable) to help with suppressed 5.56 AR.
http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin...status=&title=
Old June 4, 2012, 01:32 AM   #8
docpadds

We have found that we are really beating up the suppressors on the short barrels, especially the 11 and below.
Gas piston is a help when suppressing just for its tunable nature too and does keep some if that crud away from you.
A good muzzle break makes a HUGE difference, honestly until you try a few yiu may not believe it but its true.

My favorite AR we have right now is a 11.5inch one. We usually keep it suppressed just because the thing is so loud. But even in 3 round burst its a decent balance of accurate but still short.
Old June 4, 2012, 07:12 PM   #9
madmax1854

Thanks for the replies. I decided on a Timney trigger, Magpul UBR stock and grip in FDE. Sent off my paperwork for approval for my suppressor and SBR registration last week. Right now I'm leaning towards a LaRue stealth 12" upper, but might consider an LWRC in 10.5", but apparently I have 6-7 months to think about it while the ATF sits on my papers.
Old June 4, 2012, 07:53 PM   #10
FordV8

I run a 12.5" switchblock Noveske upper. It runs well on everything I've fed it, including bags of mixed up cheap stuff. Its accurate too!

It's long enough keep decent ballistics. Also, I like 11+ inches to stabalize the round, reducing baffle strike.

Yet, it's short enough to be handy even when suppressed.

The switchblock works. I like that you can turn it "off." i.e. single shot only.

I use a Gieselle SSA Trigger in this lower and like it alot. I also have a Timney 3lb single stage in a Mk12 Mod0 and like it just as well. The Timney has better feel but it clearly strikes a little lighter. FWIW, I run AR Gold in my target AR and it's got the best feel yet. I do have a KNS anti walk kit on the Timney.

My experience with LaRue is good as well.

If I were going to "Piston" an SBR, I would choose PWS. Based on theory and second hand knowledge only. <-- grain of salt

I think your setup sounds good and well thought out.