The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 1, 2011, 11:08 AM   #26
artsmom

The 12 gauge shotgun shell is problematic when it comes to feeding out of a magazine, as mentioned by others already. A flat nose, a rim, no taper or bottleneck to help guide the shell into the chamber makes for clunky feeding. Plus, the large size of a 12 gauge shell makes a detachable magazine personally unappealing. Who wants a foot long magazine sticking out of their weapon that gives them ten shots?

Now, Kel Tec came up with a novel idea with dual magazine tubes and a neatly laid out bullpub design. I don't know how that will prove out in use, but certainly it blows up the idea that shotgun innovation has stagnated.

But I have a limited imagination, as I can't think of a scenario where an Ithaca Model 37 riot gun (with or without an extended tube) would be found wanting, or the same gun with extended tube, heat shield, and a mounted light wouldn't be close to ideal.
Old June 1, 2011, 12:43 PM   #27
anonymousFolk

IMHO...

That's like saying knife, shovel, or karate technology is in a rut.
Old June 1, 2011, 06:21 PM   #28
darkgael

no rut

Quote:
When they figured out how to mount two barrels, side by side, with two separate firing mechanisms, and the barrels indexed to the same point of aim at a predetermined yardage, they reached the apex, the epitome of shotgun technology.

Anything since then is just useless piddling.
Ah, it warms me heart. It does.
ye olde grouse hunter.

And yes, the O/U...a simple revolutionary change.
Pete
Old June 1, 2011, 07:43 PM   #29
kozak6

The KSG isn't as innovative as it seems.

The basic idea for a bullpup double mag tube pump shotgun goes back at least 20 years to the South African Neostead.
Old June 3, 2011, 06:54 AM   #30
Queue

As Scotty said, "The more you overtech the plumbing, the easier it is to clog the drain". Why reinvent the wheel? What do you want shotguns to do that they don't ALREADY do? And wouldn't ruffle legislator's and brady's and that ilk's feathers. Just wondering...
Old June 3, 2011, 01:55 PM   #31
anonymousFolk

IDK maybe civilian shotgun tech hasn't changed a lot lately...

but not military

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOoUVeyaY_8
Old June 3, 2011, 02:25 PM   #32
Bubba in c.a.

Bring your checkbook

The basic pump does HD/police/combat duty at such a rediculously low price it just isn`t worth doing the r and d to develop a Rambo shotgun, especially when AKs and ARs fit so well into the picture if you need or think you need massive firepower. Shotguns are IDEAL upclose but useless if the perp has cover

Brings to mind another àlso ran`, the pistol calibre carbine. Cutesy didn`t last in the police world--they lack power and they are a dying breed.