The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Closed Thread

Old August 21, 2012, 12:47 PM   #1
ttdub

Glocks underwater...

Hey guys, I've been seriously thinking of purchasing a Glock, but I keep hearing that they always misfire after being submerged and taken out of water... I always thought they were supposed to be reliable under any circumstances. Don't get me wrong, I don't plan on being in the water, but I would also like to use this weapon as a SHTF pistol. Let me know what you guys think...

Last edited by ttdub; August 21, 2012 at 01:29 PM.
Old August 21, 2012, 12:52 PM   #2
BGutzman

I cant imaging a situation that you would ever need to fire from under the water... Regardless with few if any exceptions water is a pretty good bullet stopper (see mythbusters).
Old August 21, 2012, 12:58 PM   #3
ttdub

My mistake... I meant after being submerged, not actually being shot underwater. Like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5iahKNVj44
Old August 21, 2012, 01:02 PM   #4
BGutzman

I cant speak for Glocks as I am not a fan... however in general any reasonable quality firearms should be able to take a submerging and perform as if it hadnt occured.

I would suspect the Glock would have no problem as it is used by military forces in other nations...
Old August 21, 2012, 01:05 PM   #5
Walt Sherrill

I can't understand why a striker fired pistol would misfire if wet, or even if still underwater. The chemical reaction that would be created by striking the primer should be the same whether wet or dry. Any water that would impede the striker would, it seems to me, have a similar effect on a hammer striking a firing pin, and the firing pin itself.

I suspect any claims about Glocks (or other guns) firing or not firing underwater or after being submerged, comes from the experts who work part-time as mall ninjas.

(I saw a pretty interesting show recently on the history channel about firing under or into water. It showed that a bullet will only travel a short distance (feet, not yards) through water, even if fired from a relatively powerful long-gun.)
Old August 21, 2012, 01:12 PM   #6
militant

YouTube Glocks being shot under water. They shoot, the bullets don't go far. Why on earth would someone do this?
Old August 21, 2012, 01:31 PM   #7
ttdub

I miss worded what I was trying to say. I didn't mean shooting while submerged, but shooting after being submerged, like if it was dropped in wanted and it wouldn't shoot once taken out. I changed the wording.
Old August 21, 2012, 01:44 PM   #8
Tom Servo
Staff

I don't see that being a problem with most guns, so long as they're not retaining water inside the action.

With ammunition, wet primers can be a possible cause of FTF's.
Old August 21, 2012, 01:56 PM   #9
Mueller

A fair portion of SD ammunition is sealed and a short term dunking should not be enough to cause any problem with water getting into the powder charge of ammunition that is unsealed.

Water retained within the action could/may be a potential concern given tight tolerances, say with the striker needing to move water out of the firing pin channel on it's way to striking the primer, the hydraulic effect slowing the striker enough to cause a misfire, but that would rank up there in the really unlikely category, unless Mr.Murphy really likes you.

Having said that, I have on occasion taken an unexpected dip with firearms and after making sure the barrel was clear of water and cycling the action and a quick shake to assist any remaining water to clear the open action, just because I don't like playing the odds, I reloaded and continued on.
Old August 21, 2012, 02:23 PM   #10
mes228

Glock

I've read that the large open hole behind the mag well in a Glock is a purposeful design. It's there to have the pistol "drain" almost instantly after being submerged. Don't know if that's true as you can read anything. However, that's why I have never used an after market "plug" that's sold to plug the hole. So to answer the question, I believe a Glock will fire after being submerged with little problem.
Old August 21, 2012, 02:53 PM   #11
Dragline45

Quote:
A fair portion of SD ammunition is sealed and a short term dunking should not be enough to cause any problem with water getting into the powder charge of ammunition that is unsealed.
A while ago I left a 9mm round in a glass of water to see if it would fire after. I forgot about it for a couple weeks and to my surprise when I took it to the range it fired. It was cheap WWB value pack ammo from walmart.
Old August 21, 2012, 04:00 PM   #12
ttdub

This is great points everyone! Maybe he has aftermarket parts... Either way, you guys should comment on this guys video (definitely not mine just to let you know). He's talking crap about Glock not working and does a test: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5iahKNVj44
Old August 21, 2012, 04:18 PM   #13
jglsprings

The only mod I know of for "submarine" warfare is the water proof spring cups.

http://www.glockmeister.com/GLOCK-Ma...uctinfo/G3073/

Quote:
Hey guys, I've been seriously thinking of purchasing a Glock, but I keep hearing that they always misfire after being submerged and taken out of water... I always thought they were supposed to be reliable under any circumstances. Don't get me wrong, I don't plan on being in the water, but I would also like to use this weapon as a SHTF pistol. Let me know what you guys think...
Really??! Of course if it is on the internet it must be true... Do you know of any weapon (or machine for that matter) that will be reliable under any circumstance? What other weapons are you considering to pass this test?

Commas save lives...
Old August 21, 2012, 04:22 PM   #14
ttdub

JGLsprings, I understand that, and that's why I asked. Also, a guy did demonstrate it on a video and others seemed to agree. That's why I asked people here. Also, I'm not asking about firing underwater! I've written multiple other posts on here explaining that (read up), and I changed the wording. I just mean if say I drop it in the water, and when I pick it up just like the video above.
Old August 21, 2012, 04:37 PM   #15
Ben Towe

As long as you tip it muzzle down to clear water from the barrel I see no reason it shouldn't perform flawlessly. A barrel full of water could cause a catastrophic failure though.
Old August 21, 2012, 05:12 PM   #16
sigcurious

ttdub, when you accidentally drop the hypothetical pistol in the water do you intend to also fill the pistol with dirt first?

While that random youtube guy might feel its a valid recreation of real world possibilities. I struggle to imagine a situation where dirt is poured into a pistol through an open slide.
Old August 21, 2012, 05:17 PM   #17
JC57

Just wait for the Gen 5s, they'll probably have that whole water issue resolved by then.
Old August 21, 2012, 05:44 PM   #18
Leejack

Quote:
Just wait for the Gen 5s, they'll probably have that whole water issue resolved by then.
LOL!

Sigmas can shoot in outer space!
Old August 21, 2012, 05:49 PM   #19
Skyline

It's hard to believe a dunking will cause a malfunction. I don't know what's going on there.

It reminded of this cool video of the HK P30 though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6a16KhDOZy0
Old August 21, 2012, 05:51 PM   #20
lyodbraun

here is a very well done video on how a Glock will Function just fine under water or above water....

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/show....php?t=1438051

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COea9...layer_embedded
Old August 21, 2012, 06:11 PM   #21
tahunua001

Quote:
I sure hope that's sarcasm, the generation 4 and all of it's "improvements" nearly killed Glocks reputation and is the first time they have ever had to issue mass recalls.

to the OP, I hate glocks and try not to defend or promote them if at all possible but more than likely the ammo being submerged wasn't built to the tightest tolerances and the powder probably got wet, causing failure to fires, the gun may have been working just fine but if the ammo's bad there is nothing the gun can do to fix the issue.

however on a similar note I have had 9mm ammo go through the washer before and have taken it out and it still went off in my SR9C so you can take that for what it's worth.
Old August 21, 2012, 06:34 PM   #22
jglsprings

Quote:
I sure hope that's sarcasm, the generation 4 and all of it's "improvements" nearly killed Glocks reputation and is the first time they have ever had to issue mass recalls.
The O/P was asking about when the Gen 5 pistols are coming out...

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=498891

... in an earlier thread.

Commas save lives...
Old August 21, 2012, 06:42 PM   #23
JC57

Yes, I was just weaving the two threads into a yarn.
Old August 21, 2012, 06:55 PM   #24
jglsprings

Yes, a yarn. I like that.

Quote:
4. a tale, especially a long story of adventure or incredible happenings: He spun a yarn that outdid any I had ever heard.

Commas save lives...
Old August 21, 2012, 07:10 PM   #25
wayneinFL

The only way water would affect the pistol would be to fill the firing pin channel and slow the firing pin enough to get a light primer strike. Maritime spring cups are supposed to stop that, and there are videos of Glocks firin underwater, though I have no experience with that.

I have immersed my Glock 27 before and the only time its operation was affected was when it got jammed up with beach sand. All I had to do was field strip it and rinse out the sand. Water has never hurt it.
Closed Thread