The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old April 19, 2009, 01:27 PM   #1
delta611

IDPA DA Firearm Question --

The only weapon I am able to carry on/off duty has to has to be DA with a de-cocking lever..I presently have both a Sig 226 and a 239 (issued)...I am in the market to purchase my own, which still has to conform to the above requirement if I wish to carry ccw..I want to try my hand at IDPA or other competition so have been handling both a Beretta 92G and a HK45 and 30L..Being new to the competition world is there any advantage to either the 45 or 9 as they both theoretically should knock down a target..?? From what I have seen neither choices are high on the list of serious competitors (or so I have read), but have to fill my requirement and assuming cost is not an issue..(My wife wont read this !!)
Old April 19, 2009, 02:11 PM   #2
Glenn E. Meyer

Depends what you want to get out of the game.

One thing - 45 is very expensive nowadays.

Also, many folks shoot their carry gun to get positive transfer of training with it as compared to some other competition only gun.
Old April 19, 2009, 02:32 PM   #3
delta611

Thats a good point..I guess I can always ask if I could use their Sig to try and compete with..!! I reload 9mm, 44-40's and 38's..(Was doing cowboy action shooting) but dont have any dies or components for 45...Just liked the feel of the HK45...But frankly the 92G felt pretty good as well..(My first issue many moons ago was a 92FS)...
Old April 19, 2009, 03:31 PM   #4
Jim Watson

IDPA Divisions are structured so that there is no advantage to any caliber versus the others. CDP requires .45 ACP, the others are fine with 9mm.
Old April 21, 2009, 11:08 AM   #5
FM12

Try S&W (any but the M&P or Sigma), Sig, CZ style and Beretta made handguns. This should give you a good selection. These have decockers, although some are on the slide instead of the frame, as in the Walther P38, a 9MM choice also. Ken

Last edited by FM12; April 21, 2009 at 11:10 AM. Reason: addtl info
Old April 21, 2009, 12:43 PM   #6
Jim Watson

If you are issued a P226 and the boss is for some reason reluctant to let you shoot matches with government property, then buy your own. There are others you could look at, but commonality of training and operation is worth a lot. Get a 9mm for cheaper ammo with less recoil.
Old April 23, 2009, 12:23 AM   #7
sidaemon

I would say in this case shoot in competition what you carry everyday. I own a p226, a walther p99, a Colt Python and a Kimber 1911 chambered in 9mm. The only semi-auto handgun I have that is nicer than the 226 is the Kimber, but it doesn't meet your reqs... The Python is a monster, but not real practical for carry.

Sig makes a bunch of DA weapons with decockers. Some other that come to mind are the CZ, and one of the metal framed Witness models includes one. One note on Sig is that their quality seems to have dropped on their newer weapons. My older 226 I wouldn't hesitate driving a truck over, but I looked at a newer one at the gunstore about a week ago and the frame already had a pretty deep scratch above the decocking lever...

The 220 that was there was the same, poor quality it seemed. May just be a bad batch at some point, but I wouldn't be putting the money Sig requires into what they're producing right now.

Thanks zac.
Old April 23, 2009, 07:24 PM   #8
delta611

I think Im going with Beretta 92G Elite II ..!! Ummm or the HKP30L !!
Old April 26, 2009, 01:16 AM   #9
T. O'Heir

Go shoot the games with what you have. Don't worry about placing. Unless you just want to buy something. "I want one' is a reason.
Neither IDPA nor IPSC are in the least bit practical, but they are a great deal of fun. Each has its own rules about holsters etc.
"...should knock down a target..." Paper mostly. Shot placement is more important, but there is the silly 'power factor'.
Old April 26, 2009, 06:44 AM   #10
delta611

Hey, I got em both !!!!!! Now if I can find some primers, so I can shoot these babies !!!