The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 11, 2012, 02:14 PM   #1
pturner67

Mossberg 930 SPX

In the market for a semi-auto shotgun. I found a new Mossberg 930 SPX yesterday and seems to be a fair price.

Does anyone here have one? Thoughts?

Thanks
Old January 11, 2012, 04:43 PM   #2
Orphanedcowboy

With Mossberg, it is a love it or hate it relationship. I actually like them and I shoot Brownings almost exclusively. I have Benelli, Beretta, Browning, Winchester and many more. My latest is another Mossberg 930, this will be my third 930 and my 10th Mossberg. The 930 is simply a 935 with a .730 bore and able to reliably cycle 2 3/4" loads.

There are a few things that people report as a problem with the SPX, the most notable is a canted front sight. The other problems can most likely be attributed to operator error, lack of cleaning or poor maintenence altogether.

I think it is a fantastic choice if it fits your need and desire.

Enjoy it and post pictures.
Old January 11, 2012, 05:56 PM   #3
Gehrhard

WISH it weren't the case but less reliable than I personally demand including from a broader range of ammo (I'd go Benelli) and the sights are on stilts compared to the rear stock.

People will argue the latter while they try to talk with a chin weld vs. a cheek weld, and its kinda funny to talk to them at the range with their guns shouldered, everyone else laughing. The regular 930 uses the same exact stock and angles -- now compare the sights. Both CAN'T work best, and you have to try for yourself (you'll be told this by the intelligencia too), but, here we go: watch the people who bought one defend their investment...
Old January 11, 2012, 06:39 PM   #4
Orphanedcowboy

The FN uses the same style front sight, no problem with either and a sight picture for me. Dollar for Dollar, the Mossberg is a sound investment, barrels are 1/3 the price of a Benelli barrel, so you can have 3 times the gun for the same investment.

I like Benellis, I have a 20ga M2, 12ga M2 and a SBE II and find no fault with them, but they are not the be all, end all when it comes to shotguns. Just like Browning, Winchester, Beretta, FN or any other, they all have a place in the game.

Instead of diverting the question to "buy a ???????" why not answer the question if you have actual hands on experience with the firearm in question.

935's have firing pin problems, but with the 1000s of rounds thru any of the 930s I have I have not had that experience. I have not had an issue with the canted front sight, magazine extension problems, binding of the plastic pusher assembly, failure to feed from the magazine, failure to cycle or failure to fires. The gun is only as good as the maintenance it is given.
Old January 11, 2012, 07:49 PM   #5
johnwilliamson062

I have one of the field upland combos. The rifled barrel didn't have a front sight installed. I called them and they said they would send one. Been three or four weeks and no sight. Trying to be patient with the holidays and all, but as soon as I have a minute during business hours I am going to have to check on it.
Old January 11, 2012, 08:15 PM   #6
pturner67

thanks for the replies

I held the Benelli...it felt weird to hold...typical subjective issue I guess

I watched a few videos today on the 930...seems a large majority really like it...so, I'm gonna take the plunge tomorrow

thanks again
Old January 11, 2012, 10:01 PM   #7
Stevie-Ray

Quote:
I watched a few videos today on the 930...seems a large majority really like it...so, I'm gonna take the plunge tomorrow
I doubt you'll be sorry, I love mine. And the stock is adjustable-I had to adjust mine for fit.

Last edited by Stevie-Ray; January 11, 2012 at 10:03 PM. Reason: Keeps disappearing on me
Old January 12, 2012, 03:43 AM   #8
concealcarry7

The 930 is probably my favorite shotgun from mossberg at the moment.
Feels like a solid build the only thing I noticed is that there 500 series has 2 extractor claws and the 930 only 1 no biggie so do the famous Remington 870s just found it peculiar. The 930 blackwater edition looks mighty nice. Thumbs up to mossberg for making an inexpensive yet solid semi auto 12g