The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 10, 2011, 03:45 PM   #1
Glockfan36

The Walther PPK

For those of you who own the "007 gun", do you like it?
I think I should try to find one someday, maybe in October at Court Days.
Old August 10, 2011, 03:57 PM   #2
aarondhgraham

Everyone needs a "tuxedo" pistol,,,

When people ask a question like yours,,,
The answer is a resounding,,,
Heck yes!

How can you practice your James Bond poses without one?

I had one many years back,,,
I bought it specifically because it was the James Bond gun,,,
Then I foolishly decided it was too much trouble owning guns while in the military and sold it.

Perfectly adequate for self defense,,,
A complete blast to shoot,,,
Sexy as all get-out.

What's not to love!

Aarond
Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)

Last edited by aarondhgraham; August 10, 2011 at 04:40 PM.
Old August 10, 2011, 04:31 PM   #3
PSP

Every collection should have at least one of the PP series pistols.
Old August 10, 2011, 04:35 PM   #4
BOBA FETT

i had one of the smith and wesson blued ppk... it was my first handgun but i sold it because i needed money at the time... i wish i did not cause it was a pretty nice gun...
Old August 10, 2011, 04:35 PM   #5
Sharpsdressed Man

Get a German made .32 Walther PPK. Overall, the German made guns (made before the import ban in 1968), or the few that got snuck in for police officers or by other means, are of better worksmanship and general reliability. The .32 has less recoil than the .380, and may also have an edge in reliability over the .380. The .380 cartridge is slightly better for defense, but is not the "true" Bond gun, either. The pre-68 PPk's in .32 will be less expensive than the .380s, and all German made guns will be more expensive than the Interarms made or S&W made guns (S&W makes the current, slightly different PPK). Prices for nice used German made .32 PPK's can run about $500-$700.
Old August 10, 2011, 04:39 PM   #6
michael t

If you can afford German Next interarms I still belive in these size pistols its a wash between 32 and 380 Either will do fine with good ammo. S&W are hit and miss
American Classic new home www.americanclassic1911forum.com
Old August 10, 2011, 04:42 PM   #7
RKG

I have two, just because.

Neither is fun to shoot.

Recoil is snappy; they bite me in the web between my thumb and forefinger; and the slide is a bit of work to manipulate.

The PP series was state of the art in their time. That was a while ago.
Old August 10, 2011, 04:45 PM   #8
Coltman 77

I bought one made in Germany in 1972 in .380. It was a fun little pistol to shoot, accurate and about 90% reliable with hardball ammo.

IMO, it's a classic design but outdated. Get a PPS.

Protect our 2nd Amendment Rights -- Join the NRA
Old August 10, 2011, 05:26 PM   #9
David the Gnome

I've said it many times before but I'll say it again. I think if I had to sell every gun I own but one, I would be in tears before I could get rid of my PPK. I hardly ever shoot it, heck I hardly ever even take it out of the safe anymore unless it's a special occasion (sometimes you just need an extra classy firearm), but there is just something about that PPK that just makes me happy.
Old August 10, 2011, 05:40 PM   #10
federali

I've owned both a German made and an American made Walther PPK/s. It should be noted that Europeans load their ammunition to higher pressures and their guns are intended to handle it. With domestic ammunition, you could expect reliability issues such as failure to extract and failure to eject.

Perhaps 10 years ago, the Kentucky State police purchased 2000 Walthers for special units. They were taken out of service two years later.

The Walthers are indeed attractive, even sexy guns but I can't bring myself to carry anything I don't have full confidence in. The gun must go bang every time I pull the trigger.
Old August 10, 2011, 05:48 PM   #11
bege

Had a ppks and a pp22. When my son was in SWCC he came up to the lake to visit. He was head shooting red squirrels ambidextrously with the pp22. I gave it to him as I thot it would look ridiculous for me to shoot it after that demonstration
Old August 10, 2011, 05:50 PM   #12
Jeff OTMG

I love them, though I prefer them in .22 or .32 to .380. I have two PPK in .380 (stainless and blue) and one in .22. I have the PP in .22 and .32. I had hoped that the P22 would replace the PP 22, but there really isn't any comparison.

The PPK in .22 is a ball to shoot, the .380's not so much. The gun is an old design, though thin, it is heavy for what it is. I replaced my PPK ankle gun many years ago with a Kahr M9. More power for about the same amount of recoil. As a pocket gun the PPK is underpowered and over weight when there are S&W J-frames and Rohrbaughs out there. I had discussed a PPK and TPH made on Scandium frames with S&W many years ago and was assured that they were in the works, but still no sign of them. There was a drop off in demand when Bush entered the Whitehouse then with the recession in 2007 things slowed up.
Old August 10, 2011, 07:40 PM   #13
Sharpsdressed Man

If you have unlimited funds (say $1000-$1500), Walther did make the PPK with an aluminum frame in .22 and .32. Very rare and hard to find in the US. They are a dream, but too valuable for most mortals to carry for fun and defense. Too bad. The light weight really enhanced the compact size.
Old August 10, 2011, 07:55 PM   #14
RLWII

While the Walther has become so closely associated with Mr. Bond, lets not forget, he did not want the gun, wanted to keep his Beretta.

I thought I always wanted one (yes, because of Bond) until I held one for the first time. Couldn't understand wanting to carry a gun of that size and caliber that felt so heavy. I outgrew the desire to have one. People on The Firing Line are often saying that a weapon is such a personal choice and to me, the Walther just did not "fit" my hand.
Old August 11, 2011, 01:00 AM   #15
lcpiper

I always thought Bond was trying to keep his PPK.

What Beretta was it he was trying to keep ?
Old August 11, 2011, 02:24 AM   #16
Jeff OTMG

lcpiper - Bond carried a .25 acp Beretta 418
Old August 11, 2011, 02:41 AM   #17
NWCP

I am the proud owner of two German PPK/S pistols. One in .22LR and the other in .380. They are absolutely beautiful and a pleasure to shoot. The .22 is particularly accurate. If given the chance I'd get one in .25ACP as well as .32ACP. You can't go wrong with a well maintained PP, PPK, or PPK/S. The German proofed pistols will only go up in value as the years go by. JMHO
Old August 11, 2011, 07:23 AM   #18
micromontenegro

You can call me a dinosaur, but I still carry my Interarms .380 PPK/S everywhere I go. No other small pistol has ever given me the combination of 100% reliability, excellent sights and target-gun accuracy. It is also beautiful and carries well, albeit a little heavy. YMMV.

BTW, I'll never understand how recoil perception varies so much between people. For me, the .380 PPK/S recoil is negligible.
Old August 11, 2011, 08:48 AM   #19
geetarman

I have had 3. An original German PPK that I bought just before the 1968 gun control act went into effect. Paid $98 for it at K-Mart.

I traded it off for a Belgian Browning Challenger.

Years later, I bought a PPK/S that was an Interarms import. I paid $219 for that one.

Sold it to a guy from work along with a Gold Cup and a Ruger Security Six.

Started getting interested in them again a couple of years ago and read all the horror stories about Smith and Wesson quality so I held off a while.

I bought a SS PPK about 8 months ago and the quality is not an issue.
I think I remember paying about $472 for it.

The trigger seems better than the old ones and the beavertail has eliminated slide bite.

I have put about 200 rounds of two different weight bullets from 2 manufacturers through the gun and have had no failures of any sort.

I am satisfied that I have a gun equal to or better than the German models I had before.

Geetarman
Old August 11, 2011, 11:25 AM   #20
NightSleeper

I own a PPK/s in .32 auto.

It is my favorite shooter. Always reliable, always accurate, quick to shoot and follow-up with. Nice comfortable recoil with the .32acp.

In a nutshell, it's one of my favorite guns. I'd bet my life on it if I had too. One of the best of my small collection!
Old August 11, 2011, 01:09 PM   #21
sirgilligan

I really like mine. It is a S&W version. No problems, accurate, and precise. It is a keeper.

Old August 11, 2011, 02:42 PM   #22
RC20

I am storing one for a friend. He may give it to me as he inherited it and has no use for guns, but it meant a lot to our mutual friend.

That said, its a wonderful piece of engineering, but as a useful weapon, I do not like it.

I have not fired it (as far as I know its not been fired since the factory proof).

I have handled it, and I can see where it would easily bite you on the web.

Safety is backwards (though obviously you could simply carry in DA and not worry about that.

Caliber is too small (.32) and its just does not fit the bill as a useful self defense weapon when you have to worry about it chewing up your hand.

A great piece of history and engineering and to be appreciated, but not a carry gun.
Old August 11, 2011, 03:05 PM   #23
wgsigs

Quote:
I thought I always wanted one (yes, because of Bond) until I held one for the first time. Couldn't understand wanting to carry a gun of that size and caliber that felt so heavy. I outgrew the desire to have one.
You have to remember the Bond of the Beretta/PPK was from the late '50s, early '60s. There are plenty of smaller, lighter, higher capacity pistols available now better suited for defensive carry.

I have a '63 PP German surplus in .32ACP that I inherited from my father-in-law. It's great fun to shoot just like my Ruger Mark II, though the ammo is a lot more expensive, and I am very happy I have one in my "collection". However, I would never carry it as I have quite a few more modern guns that are better options.