The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old June 4, 2000, 06:35 PM   #1
Dogger

I don't think this cartridge gets the "due" it is "due". So... what is the largest game animal you have taken with the Swede, at what range, with what load, and what rifle/scope/sight combination? And... did you have to shoot more than once? Thanks!
Old June 6, 2000, 11:04 AM   #2
MAD DOG

For me personally, that would be a big white tail.
Stigand, the African hunter of the late 19th/early 20th century, used it on Elephant successfully at times.

I know one old Alaskan that swore it was the best Moose round ever. that is all he used on them. Liked the penetration and flat shooting.
Old June 6, 2000, 07:53 PM   #3
Bud Helms

Big Georgia whitetail doe. Orig iron sights. 40 grs IMR 4350 behind 140 gr Hornady Spirepoint (#2630). 2200-2300 fps. 75-80 yds.

In a modern rifle, this cartridge could be a scooter! An under-rated chambering these days.

Old June 8, 2000, 04:24 PM   #4
Paul B.

Maddog. I could be wrong, but didn't Stigand use the 6.5x54 Mannlicher rather than the 6.5x55 Swede? A quote from African Rifles and Cartrdges, by John Taylor on the 6.5 M/S. "The vogue for these little rifles did not last very long. Bell and Stigand were the two best known hunters to use them; but Stigand was badly hurt by both elephant and rhino.. He had a double .450 with which to back up his little 6.5mm, but was not using it on either of the occasions when he so badly needed it.
The popular 6.5's in Africa were the 6.5 Rumanian Mannlicher (a rimmed cartridge), the 6.5 M/S previously mentioned and the 6.5 Portuguese, Not mentioned by Taylor, but at times by Finn AAgaard.
To my knowledge, those were the only 6.5 rounds that saw much use in Africa.
BTW. I've owned two 6.5 M/S carbines, and they were extremely deadly on Black Bear and deer. The 160 gr. Norma bullet would penetrate from nock to noodle with little or no strain. Unfortunatly, some sorry excuse of a pile of fecal matter stole them years ago. I miss them greatly.
Paul B.