The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 28, 2009, 03:10 AM   #1
Nnobby45

Replacing bushing screws on P229

For the second time now, I've stripped a bushing screw on the same P229. I have a number of Sig's and have not encountered that problem except for this one DAK SAS.

By stripped I don't mean where it screws into the frame, but rather the threaded portion the grip screws go into. Don't want to have to send the frame back---again--to have it fixed. Not if I can help it.

Is there any trick to ordering bushing screws from SigSauer and just replacing all of them on the frame? Or at least the one for now.

What tools do I need to remove and replace them? How do I go about it? Do they go in the frame left or right hand thread. If anyone is familiar with the operation, I'd appreciate the advise. Or, do I just send the dang thing back with a nice note?

Last edited by Nnobby45; May 28, 2009 at 03:28 AM.
Old June 6, 2009, 11:42 AM   #2
Nnobby45

Well, no wonder I haven't got any replies. A little closer examination of the problem indicates that there are no bushings that screw into the frame! My error.

The frame itself is tapped for screws. You can see that if you look at the INSIDE of the frame.

Don't know how they "fixed" it the first time. Maybe they just ran the original threader thru again. I'm now certain the problem is with the same upper right screw hole.

Thought I'd pass that along. In any event, I sent it back and we'll see how they "fix" the problem this time around. The dealer who sent it back is betting on re-threading with larger screw hole. If so, they better do to all of them and send spare screws.