The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old March 5, 2010, 12:44 PM   #1
spotter123654

How to stop flinching

i used to never flinch but i do it now more increasingly wondering if there is any techniques
Old March 5, 2010, 12:55 PM   #2
GUNSITE

Your focusing on the gun and the BANG, your anticipating, focus on the sights and target as you squeeze.
Old March 5, 2010, 12:58 PM   #3
The Great Mahoo

I have recently gotten back to the range after a few months of not getting out much. I was surprised to find a minor flinch, something I haven't done in years. After a little time on the range, I seemed to iron things back out.

Take a revolver, such as a .357 or .44, load some chambers with magnum, some with normal loads, and some empty chambers. Spin the cylinder so you don't know what is coming up, then start firing. I did this with my .327, loading some .32 S&W in some chambers, nothing in others. I was amazed at how when I hit a .32 after a .327, or an empty chamber after either, how much of a finch I found myself with. Once I was recognizing it, I was able to put it out of my mind and get back on target where I should be.

Alternatively, dry-fire can help, or it can make flinching worse if you get too used to no recoil after too much dry-fire.

As always, the best cure is just more trigger time with some live ammo and drilling it into yourself to stop flinching.
Old March 5, 2010, 01:13 PM   #4
troy_mclure

shoot more .22
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old March 5, 2010, 01:26 PM   #5
Uncle Ben

While at the range, as soon as you notice you are flinching, or that you are simply off target more than you should be - start shooting slower for one or two magazines worth. Pull the trigger slowly and smoothly straight back and let the trigger "break" surprise you (as in "surprise break"). If you don't know when the trigger will break, then you don't know when the gun will recoil, and you can't really anticipate it.

Once you feel like you are back to "normal", shoot at your normal pace again and see how you are grouping (or slowly speed back up to your normal shooting pace again). Repeat as needed.

Last edited by Uncle Ben; March 5, 2010 at 02:01 PM.
Old March 5, 2010, 01:50 PM   #6
kraigwy

Dry Fire and Ball & Dummy excersizes.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old March 5, 2010, 02:15 PM   #7
golfballshootr

Break out the 22LR or .17HMR and go back to focusing on mechanics, and you have the luxury of the cheaper rounds while you get this worked out.
Old March 5, 2010, 02:32 PM   #8
spotter123654

alright thanks guys i just found myself doin it today and it ticked me off but thanks haha
Old March 5, 2010, 02:52 PM   #9
qcpunk

I have used the method Uncle Ben described. Every now and again I will find my self flinching. I simply slow it down, exactly as Ben described and was fine for the rest of the day at normal speed
Old March 5, 2010, 02:58 PM   #10
wyobohunter

my Dad used to bring a few primer only cases and load the gun without me watching. Every now & then the gun goes pop instead of bang. To avoid flinching you just assume every single one is a primer only.
Old March 5, 2010, 03:05 PM   #11
Baphomet

Eggshells...

I'm going to pass this along only because it works for me, silly as it might sound.

Maintain focus on the front sight and mentally repeat "eggshells" to yourself over and over again until the shot breaks.

That's it. I don't know why this works but seriously, it does work.

I'm guessing what word you mentally repeat probably doesn't matter and that it simply draws your mental focus away from the trigger by keeping your conscious mind occupied with... something. Whatever. Seriously though, I'm a life-long shooter well into my 40's and still do this from time to time. I tried thinking/repeating other words (lemons for example) but I keep coming back to eggshells.
Old March 5, 2010, 08:23 PM   #12
Stevie-Ray

I've loaded dummy rounds. Mix them in with live rounds before loading. Works equally well for auto and revolver.
Old March 5, 2010, 08:45 PM   #13
Standing Wolf
Member in memoriam

Quote:
Maintain focus on the front sight and mentally repeat "eggshells" to yourself over and over again until the shot breaks.
That's it. I don't know why this works but seriously, it does work.
Not a bad idea at all! I've suggested to students with flinches they try counting or reciting the alphabet, but I think an irrelevant word might work better.

My best technique is to shoot five or ten rounds of .22 long rifle, five or ten of center fire, five or ten of .22 long rifle, et cetera. It typically takes a couple hundred rounds of that discipline to eradicate a seep-set flinch.
Old March 6, 2010, 04:37 AM   #14
r_magill

What Uncle Ben said is spot on for on the range. The gun isn't going to hurt you, so do your part (proper stance, grip, sight aleignment, etc) and slowly sqeeze the trigger back until the gun finally goes off. What I find helps too is to completely concentrate on the front site (stare, really) until it hops up from the recoil. With my concentration of the fron sight, I am not watching the hammer move nor am I anticipating the recoil based upon how far back the trigger is.

Also, one thing that helps me at home is *with a completely unlaoded firearm that has been double checked*, I dry fire with a quarter on the front sight. If the quarter falls off, I am doing something wrong. If it stays on, I am doing things right. I hope this helps.
Old March 6, 2010, 05:06 AM   #15
NWPilgrim

All of the above is good advice. Force yourself to concentrate on front sight and smooth, steady trigger pull. Dry firing several times to check for flinch and re-establish good technique.

I like revolvers best for this so I can load a few chambers and leave a couple empty. Shoot the cylinder and see if I flinch on the unknown empties.

Spend some time with a .22LR to reinforce good technique (front sight and trigger). And shoot some of your biggest kickers to "get over it". Nothing like a 4" .44 Magnum to refresh your appreciation for 9mm pistol.

The more you shoot the less liekly a flinch will come on. So tell the wife you need more range therapy!
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old March 6, 2010, 08:54 AM   #16
N.H. Yankee

Shoot weekly if possible, I found that when I haven't shot for a time ( about a month) my first 1-3 shots are off due to jerking not flinching but same thing practice makes perfect. I also like using a 22 to warm up because its cheap.
Old March 6, 2010, 09:59 AM   #17
nate45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben
Pull the trigger slowly and smoothly straight back and let the trigger "break" surprise you (as in "surprise break"). If you don't know when the trigger will break, then you don't know when the gun will recoil, and you can't really anticipate it.
Yes, the surprise break is a key tool of avoiding the flinch.

Although if you shoot to many powerful rounds in one session, nothing will help. More that a dozen full power magnum pistol, or rifle rounds and even I start to flinch.
Old March 6, 2010, 12:06 PM   #18
Skans

Shoot more. That's really all it takes - just getting used to shooting. Also, practice other shooting drills other than just standing in one place shooting paper targets.
Old March 6, 2010, 02:26 PM   #19
LaserSpot

Stevie-Ray said:
Quote:
I've loaded dummy rounds. Mix them in with live rounds before loading. Works equally well for auto and revolver.
This worked for me too. I would make up some dummy rounds and mix them with live ammo in my pocket; I then load the magazine without looking. Try to pull the trigger slowly and let the shot surprise you. The gun should stay rock-solid when you hit a dummy.

You will be really surprised when it goes click and your muzzle jumps a couple inches!

kraigwy said:
Quote:
Dry Fire and Ball & Dummy excersizes.
I had to look up Ball & Dummy, but it's the same thing: http://www.alpharubicon.com/leo/pistoltrainingtg.htm
Old March 6, 2010, 06:10 PM   #20
wyobohunter

How is your trigger?

It also helps if you have a good clean and appropriately light trigger. A stiff gritty pull with creep will magnify your tendency to anticipate recoil. This is the reason that many of my guns have been in to the gun Dr. for a trigger job. Some of the triggers weren't too bad but once I fealt what a really good trigger wa I've have a hard time settling for less than perfect.
Old March 6, 2010, 06:41 PM   #21
Don P

Stop shooting?
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old March 6, 2010, 07:11 PM   #22
Slamfire

Quote:
i used to never flinch but i do it now more increasingly wondering if there is any techniques
As stated before, Dry fire will help. Dry fire is excellent for training and should be done by everyone who wants to improve their accuracy.

But flinching is an involuntary reaction. At some level of physical punishment, you are going to flinch. The flinch reaction will start sooner the heavier the recoil and louder the noise.
Old March 6, 2010, 09:24 PM   #23
mega twin

also, make sure you are wearing some really good ear protection.
If I find myself flinching,I use ear plugs and muffs together. The less bang,the less I flinch.
Old March 6, 2010, 10:58 PM   #24
spotter123654

alright thanks haha i think what mainly started it was i had like weird round that sparked when i fired it and so then i was is it gonna do it again? i think i was more anxious than anythin else.Thanks
Old March 7, 2010, 08:43 PM   #25
semi_problomatic

my wife does the same thing, I'm investing (I think) into a walther p22 to give her more time shooting. She did great that first shot but every shot after that she'd flinch more and more. She was shooting a glock 30.

SO I'm going to take her to the range with the .22 and let her drop rounds with that and I'm getting her some dum-dum rounds from midway so she can practice dry firing.