The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 5, 2012, 06:32 PM   #1
doctor_brevic

weatherby pa-08 upland barrel

I have a weatherby pa-08 upland 12 gauge shotgun with a 28" barrel and the screw choke setup. I like it a lot, it's great for hunting and clay shooting but a little impractical for home and property defence. Although I do have several other shotguns and countless weapons systems for this pourpose, when it gets dark out side I am limited to a glock 23 in one hand and a surefire in the other. Now, granted, that is a pretty solid defence, but I am after a little more firepower seeing as I live in a very remote rural area. I bought a flashlight mount off of ebay for my mossberg or my 870 but the dang screws are a joke! So upon continued research I did find something that I like, it replaces the magazine cap on my weatherby and is essentially the same thing but with a picatiny rail sticking off the front under the barrel. Problem solved right? Sure, but I am going to need a defence barrel for it now, and I can't find a single one anywhere online without the whole shotgun (which I already have) attached to the back of it for a few hundred extra dollars! So my question, can I find just a plain old 18.5 inch barrel for my pa-08 upland? please respond with any info!!!
Old February 6, 2012, 05:42 PM   #2
Marquezj16

I have never seen one online or for sale that is just the barrel.

I ended up buying a PA-459 TR.
Old February 8, 2012, 09:28 PM   #3
mpd61

Nothing out there yet....
Old February 9, 2012, 04:10 PM   #4
ripnbst

I am in the exact same predicament. I have an Upland 08 and I want to put a short barrel on it just because an 18.5" barreled shotgun with nice wood on it appeals to me and then I can use the same familiar platform for both HD and field shooting.

I contacted Weatherby about selling just a barrel to me. They didn't respond.

I also posted on Weatherby's forum to see if more people out there want the same thing and sure enough they do, Weatherby just isn't listening I guess. Maybe because they figure they will sell more shotguns if you have to buy two vs one with multiple barrels?
Old February 10, 2012, 02:44 PM   #5
Marquezj16

Anybody thought of having a gunsmith doing a length alteration?

My PA08 has become a safe queen of late. I'm actually trying to sell or trade it. It would probably have a second life it the barrel was shorter.
Old February 10, 2012, 05:53 PM   #6
mpd61

They are making a slug barrel for the new combo package...
maybe soon
Old February 15, 2012, 03:54 PM   #7
ripnbst

A length alteration kind of defeats the purpose for me as I want both, not just a short one.
Old February 16, 2012, 08:37 AM   #8
Marquezj16

There seems to be no love for this shotgun. Why do you think that is?
Old February 16, 2012, 02:31 PM   #9
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Not "no love", no experience.

It's relatively new and not widely distributed.

I've never seen one. After I try some out, I'll gladly give an opinion....
Old February 17, 2012, 05:20 PM   #10
doctor_brevic

Yeah, shortening the barrel would be pretty neat, I have a thing for a short barrel that is vent ribbed. But I already own a mossberg 500 persuader 20" 7+1 and remington 870 express 18" 6+1 and I am pretty happy with them both, not to mention my cheapo fun gun, a savage/stevens model 350 bottom ejecting 18.5" 5+1 with ghost rings. HAHAHA! In fact this weatherby is the only "hunting" longer barreled shotgun that I own, and that's the reason that I bought it, the only reason I ask for yet another short barrel in the house is because this would be the easiest one I have to put a flashlight on. Sort of dissapointing that they don't seem to have anything like that without the package deal... I saw that little slug barrel combo but unfortunately it is a rifled barrel so no good for the rifled slugs and buck shot. Well, looks like I am stuck with a glock 23 in one hand and a flashlight in the other, what a shame
Old February 18, 2012, 05:53 PM   #11
Marquezj16

Quote:
I saw that little slug barrel combo but unfortunately it is a rifled barrel so no good for the rifled slugs and buck shot.
I'm gonna have to check that out. That is a nice deal. If onlyI had a need for it...

BTW, I read a review fromt he Box O' Truth #46. You'd be surprised at the result of shooting rifled slugs out of a rifled barrel.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot46.htm