The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 21, 2012, 06:22 AM   #1
mitchntx

Sig 1911 Barrel bushing is extremely tight

I have 1/2 dozen 1911s now and have had another 1/2 dozen.

The Sig STX I recently picked up has an extremely tight barrel bushing. I don't mean snug ... I mean 'Holy cow' that's stupid tight.

No other Sig, Smith, SA, or Colt I've owned or now own has even approached this.

I've inspected the slide and bushing for galls or burs ... I see or feel nothing. The bushing and seat are well lubed with hoppes elite.

I'm not moving or turning the bushing under recoil spring tension. I pull the pin, remove the slide then try to twist the bushing.

I've ordered a tool, but the over riding concern is eventual galling.

Any one else ran into this anomole?
Old October 21, 2012, 06:52 AM   #2
polyphemus

It does appear that it is out of specs or defective,clearly should not do that.
The manufacturer needs to replace it if it is still under warranty otherwise an after market bushing should work.The barrel expands and this does not help
either.You can measure the bushing ID and barrel OD to be sure and compare
that to nominal dimensions but that manufacturer could be using its own,in any
case this issue should be resolved before using the firearm.
Old October 21, 2012, 07:10 AM   #3
geetarman

I have a TacPac 1911 and the bushing is very tight on mine. I use a bushing wrench to move it. Can't just move it with fingers. I have it all greased up but it is just tight.

Carpe Cerveza
Old October 21, 2012, 07:15 AM   #4
Skadoosh

The STX is a Sig Custom Shop pistol, correct? I believe your STX is set up as a target pistol. In which case, it does not surprise me that it that the bushing is very tight and that you need a bushing tool to loosen the bushing.
Old October 21, 2012, 07:51 AM   #5
drail

You have a gun that requires a bushing wrench. Be happy. People pay money to achieve what you are complaining about. You could sell it and buy a Mil-spec gun. Or you could clamp the bushing in a vice and use thin strips of 220 grit sandpaper to work it down.
Old October 21, 2012, 07:58 AM   #6
Skadoosh

Before doing alterations to the bushing, have you even shot it yet?
Old October 21, 2012, 08:27 AM   #7
mitchntx

Quote:
have you even shot it yet?
~250 rounds.

It operated fine ... no issues at all.

There was no difference trying to remove the bushing comparing initial cleaning and post range inspection.

And this very well could be normal ... but it certainly isn't comparable to any of my other 1911s ...

Old October 21, 2012, 08:29 AM   #8
drail

Yeah, I'll just bet you don't need a bushing wrench for that Norinco. Welcome to the wonderful world of "match grade".
Old October 21, 2012, 08:39 AM   #9
mitchntx

LOL ...

If the Nightmare was even the slightest bit snug, I wouldn't have made this thread.

But the Nightmare is closer to the Norinco than it is to the STX in tension, if that makes any sense.

The difficult part here is relaying in print the feeling of "snug" or "tight".
Old October 21, 2012, 08:54 AM   #10
g.willikers

With the gun assembled and in battery, if you push down on the barrel through the ejection port, is there any movement - even the tiniest little bit, either up or down?
Are there any suspicious marks along the barrel?
Although it sounds like the bushing is just tight in the slide and not to the barrel.

Last edited by g.willikers; October 21, 2012 at 09:01 AM.
Old October 21, 2012, 09:14 AM   #11
polyphemus

The overriding concern is galling ,right?Galling as in metal break down from
constant friction?If this is just a very snug to the slide bushing then it is hard to imagine that any galling might result from the occasional removal.However there is constant friction between barrel and bushing and insufficient clearance would cause galling.
Old October 21, 2012, 12:15 PM   #12
mitchntx

I very much appreciate the comments and suggestions.

I just took this photo ...

See the end of the barrel and how it slightly bells out? All the other Sig barrels I own have a similar bell.

The bushing in the slide by itself is snug but not a big concern.
The bushing over the barrel is snug at the end, but not a big concern.

I guess the combination of the two tight tolerences make it extremely snug.

Again, I appreciate all the feedback and things to look at.
Old October 21, 2012, 01:05 PM   #13
polyphemus

It would be helpful to know barrel OD dimensions.Here's the thing the barrel needs clearance not only for the bushing to slide over but also to allow for the vertical travel caused by the link.
The 1911 pistol is a military weapon and it does not need to be tight as a drum it was designed to put a 1/2"cavity where it was aimed at within pistol range and this it honorably did without ambidextrous,extended,chromed,stippled and
Swartz anything.
Manufacturers recommend field stripping of their pistols and some include a bushing wrench the owner should not be expected to buy one unless so advised
in the manual.
Old October 21, 2012, 01:18 PM   #14
Micahweeks

I'm no 1911/gunsmithing expert, but, as I understand it, that kind of even marking all the way around the barrel is a good thing. Right? Isn't that indicative of a proper fit?
Old October 21, 2012, 01:38 PM   #15
BigJimP

Les Baer's guns have the same issue ....and it aggravates me as well.../ its a fine line between tight enough to be accurate ...and overly tight, where its really aggravating. MY only solution ..is to over lubricate the barrel and the inside of the bushing - and outside of the bushing ...to make it a little easier to break thegun down ( Wilson Ultima lube is my favorite / but Break Free works as well ). My one gun from Les Baer ...has a similar ring on the barrel as your photo...and while it took at least 1,000 rds to break that gun in so it would finally run ...today with 10,000 + rds thru it ...its still very accurate - and not quite as tight.

If your dealer has a Sig Armor at their shop ...I might suggest you let them take a look at it..

You only have 250 rds thru it ...so its not even broken in yet - but as long as the gun cycles fine...it will probably be ok.

I use a bushing wrench on my 1911's as well...not a big deal to me.
-----------
But this super tight bushing issue ...with LesBaer was enough for me not to buy another one of his guns ( mine is a Monolith 5" gun) ...and I've instead moved on to Wilson Combat - where his guns are tight, but not ridiculously tight - but still have the 1" guarantee at 25 yds...so a good gunsmith can properly fit the bushing so this isn't a factor ....but like my Baer now, you gun will probably be fine.