The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

View Poll Results: Which 22 semi automatic rifle?
Ruger 10/22 119 55.61%
Marlin 60 96 44.86%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 214. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 29, 2008, 03:02 PM   #26
CraigC

I've got both, started with the Marlin when I was a boy. Got the 10/22 much later. Even now, I have a soft spot for the old Marlin that the 10/22 just can't touch.

Second for second, round for round, it's quicker to reload tubular magazines. You just can't have a half dozen of them preloaded. Although those preloaded magazines didn't load themselves. You'll spend your time loading magazines, it's only a question of when. I'd much rather load a tube magazine than box magazines and would just about prefer a tube magazine on any rimfire and most centerfires. Must be why I own mostly leverguns???
Old February 29, 2008, 03:05 PM   #27
YukonKid

10/22

its a great rifle and if upgrades are your thing then look no further. There is nothing you cannot do to a 10/22

YK
And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!
Old February 29, 2008, 04:23 PM   #28
Te Anau

Quote:
Ruger 10/22 versus Marlin 60?
A Savage will beat em both and for less $$$
Old February 29, 2008, 05:28 PM   #29
CajunBass

Well, everyone says a Marlin 60 is more accurate out of the box than a 10/22 and I can't dispute that at all. I've never shot a Marlin 60, but I'll take their word for it.

I do like the 10/22 though. I've got three, all are stock out of the box except for scopes and slings and they're more than accurate enough for me. I like the upgraded ones, the Delux Sporter, and the Wally World Special, but that's just because I think they look better than the standard carbine. I would guess the carbine shoots the same.

I've never cared for the looks of the Model 60. It does seem to be a good buy for the money.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old February 29, 2008, 05:36 PM   #30
pinetree

Ruger 10/22 especially if you want after-market items. I took mine, added a TS fluted bull barrel and a Hogue over molded stock with a Leupold VarX II 3x9 (extra scope I had). I need some trigger work but this baby is a blast to shoot. I had forgotten how much fun 22's until recently and with the price of ammo, they make even more sense.
Old February 29, 2008, 07:08 PM   #31
45Marlin carbine

haveing owned and shot both I will say that a properly set-up 60 will beat a 10/22 for accuracy and durability. 60 seems to dirty-up but WD40 spray remedys that. my nephew has one I sold him that I got in a trade and he checked it over good. put a 4X glass on it and don't want him shooting at me with those SuperX's.
Old February 29, 2008, 10:05 PM   #32
Dave85

I guess got an accurate one

The very first shot out of this 10/22 hit the X dead center at 50 yards. And that was no fluke. I haven't had a single malfunction with it over the years either. I will say that I was leaning toward the Marlin when I found the Ruger. An old roommate of mine had a Model 60, and I thought (and still think) it was about the handiest thing out there. Remember, though, that the marlin has an exposed tubular magazine which can get dinged and dimpled with rough use. That can cause feeding problems. I doubt I would have experienced that myself, as I don't go tossing my uncased rifle into pick-up beds and motorboats and such. However, I've heard others less fastidious about their guns express that concern.
Old February 29, 2008, 10:30 PM   #33
chris in va

Maybe I had a bad example, but against the advice of the counter guy, I bought a Marlin 60. The thing was a horrible jammer no matter what I put through it. Right out of the box.

Neat idea with the tube mag, but couldn't get it to work.
Old February 29, 2008, 11:45 PM   #34
L_Killkenny

I don't know what you want to do with it but both will hit a squirrel in the head out to 50+ yards. The nicer Rugers like the SS "Wal-Mart Special" look better (IMHO), the Marlin is cheaper. The 3 Marlin 60's I've been around have shot fine for a long time but eventually wore out and started having feeding and ejection problems. But the Marlins are more accurate than a stock Ruger "Carbine" (the ugly one with the barrel band).

A quick, cheap fix for the ruger: Remove the barrel band, sand and profile the stock (make sure you float the barrel) and refinish it. You'll end up with a nice looking gun, flush 10 round mag (bigger available) and it will shoot better. Either that or just spend the extra coin and get a "Wal-Mart Special".

LK
Old March 1, 2008, 11:13 AM   #35
rkammer

Another one into the mix..........

I appreciate that you're comparing Marlin to the Ruger but permit me to suggest that you take a look at the Remington 597 which is also magazine fed. It is arguably as good or better than the 10/22 out of the box and is gaining quite a following while only being produced since about 1997.

There are loads of aftermarket options for the Ruger while only a few for the Remington but more are coming out as time passes. I've had my 597 for only a month and it has operated flawlessly in that time.

The 597 is available in Camo, Gray synthetic, and laminated stock versions and in black, stainless, and bull barrels. Prices range from about $150 to about $300.

http://www.remington.com/products/fi...les/model_597/
Old March 1, 2008, 11:35 AM   #36
rocinante

Still mulling. I went to dicks yesterday to look and in 22 semi autos they had a mossberg, ruger, and savage. the one I liked most was the stainless ruger with a synthetic stock for 239. I think I might load up the boys and go to bass pro shop and see what they offer.

I really like the look of the remington 597 with laminated stock and bull barrel.
Old March 1, 2008, 07:21 PM   #37
kozak6

Basically, it all comes down to what you want to do with it.

Do you just want to take it out of the box and shoot it, or do you like to tinker?

Do you like high capacity magazines, bullpup stocks, pistol grip stocks, folding stocks, target stocks and barrels, titanium and/or anodized aluminum parts, etc?

If you want to modify your rifle at all, get the 10/22.

There are so many after market parts availible, it's possible to assemble a Ruger 10/22 without using a single factory part.
Old March 1, 2008, 08:22 PM   #38
grizz007

no point buying a Ruger 10/22 even with all the accessories-mine shot like crap. Gave mine to my son as he just likes to put in a high cap. mag and shoot. The many Marlins I have owned in the past were just amazingly accurate. The only one I now keep is a Marlin .22 mag-7 shot clip, bout hit a quarter ever time at 75 yds!

just my .02
Old March 1, 2008, 10:17 PM   #39
rocinante

I ended up getting the stainless 10/22 with synthetic stock at Dicks. I went to Bass Pro Shop and I was real surprised at what a small selection of 22 semis they had. Two higher end 10/22s with laminated stocks and a marlin 60.

I hope the one I got is a good one because I really don't want to spend a lot on it although customizing and tinkering with my guns is something I definitely enjoy.
Old March 5, 2008, 01:07 AM   #40
RRmerlin70

Has anybody had good experiences out of the box with the 10/22T? I've heard a lot about buying the cheapest 10/22 available and putting a new barrel and action on it, but I'm not much of a tinker. This thread seems to be about out-of-the-box rifles, but I've heard a lot to lead to me to believe that a 10/22 carbine with $100 into it will shoot extremely straight up to 50 yds.
Old March 5, 2008, 02:13 AM   #41
DIXIEDOG

I don't know about all the other 10/22 rifles out there but mine was accurate out of the box. I got it with intention of doing the typical barrel, stock, and trigger job but after shooting it I left it in original form. Untouched it will do 1/2 groups at 25 yds that is as good as I can shoot anyway. Everybody seems to worry about these teensie tiny groups from a plinking rifle but if you cannot duplicate them freehand what good are they? I only bench a rifle to sight it in after that it is all offhand just like when I hunt. Not bashing the bench guys just seems like overkill for a semi .22
Old March 5, 2008, 02:37 AM   #42
Yellowfin

I have had my Marlin 60 for a while and am totally sold on it. It's had few problems to speak of and the accuracy is entirely satisfactory for me, and the handling is simply fantastic.
Old March 17, 2008, 09:31 PM   #43
JeffLrrp

I have a Ruger 10/22 that will make a 3 1/2 group at 25 yards. I could get it in tighter, but I was using open sights. And yea. Im a lousy shot.

I've had some trouble with ammo (Federal, FTEs) but have put about 500 rounds downrange
Old March 17, 2008, 09:47 PM   #44
LJ-MosinFreak-Buck

I vote marlin because they are dependable.
And ACCURATE
Old March 18, 2008, 04:16 AM   #45
JAXX

I had to vote Marlin as well. The model 60 was the very first gun I ever bought. Went down to a Big 5 on my 15th birthday with my 150 bucks of birthday money and bought it. Now, almost 20 years later, it is still one hell of a little gun. It's been dropped off of the tractor while I was working the orchards, left behind the seat of an open pickup truck while it was below zero outside and the little booger still operates flawlessly. As a matter of fact, the only .22 that I like better than my model 60, is my 39 Golden A (By Marlin)
Old March 18, 2008, 10:57 AM   #46
Dave85

rocinante,

Please post a range report when you can.
Old March 18, 2008, 11:23 AM   #47
New_Pollution1086

The local gun guru (we call him old man river) told me about how the marlin got sued a few times about 15 years ago because model 60s kept exploding in peoples faces. My roommate wants to sell his model 60.

I don't know though

T
- T. Boone Pickens
Old March 19, 2008, 11:33 AM   #48
ISC

the marlin 60 has an almost identical bolt to a 10/22. The design difference is negligible there.

The 60 has a tube fed magazine. If it gets hit hard from rough use or bent IUT WILL NOT FEED! If your 10/22's rotary mag (protected inside the stock) is damaged you just insert a different mag.

The new Marlin model 60s use a plastic trigger group that WILL BREAK EASILY

You can't increase ammo capacity on a Model 60.

The 60 is hardr to clean

the 60 is more sensetive to dirt

I have 3 10/22s and my 7 year old has a model 60. He likes it because it's easier for him to load.

I like the 60's easier to adjust elevation, but I never adjust elevation with a .22 so it's not an issue for me.

The ruger is easier to mount a good scope on.

I haven't noticed any appreciable difference in accuracy that I don't attribute to the longer sight radius you get from the Marlin's longer barrel. With a scope mounted they are even.

I'll take the ruger any day.
Old March 19, 2008, 11:40 AM   #49
madcratebuilder

I have had both and I think out of the box, it's luck of the draw. I prefer the 10/22 because of the aftermarket support.
Doing my own work and buying new/used parts I built this for under $400 less scope.
Old March 19, 2008, 03:30 PM   #50
Quick_Draw_McGraw

my completly orignal marlin 60 will blow away all the 10/22's at my local range. some have trigger groups, berrels, bi-pods and all that crap, and yet at 25 yards i can consistantly make 1/4inch groups at a OUTDOOR range mind you.

all i run in it to get that accuracy is the federal bulk pack, a sand bag bench rest and a cheapo wal-mart tasco scope. thats all i need.

lets see someone do that with a ruger 10/22 out of the box. i personally have yet to see it even on rimfirecentral.com or rimfirecentral.org they need bull barrel's trigger work, etc to get to be a decent gun.

just go to a pawn shop, pick up a used model60 for under $80 take it home, clean it, toss on a cheap scope and weaver rings like i did from walmart for under $50 and you will be EXTREMELY happy with it.

im sorry but if im gonna DUMP alot of money into a rifle it would be a AR platform because its worth it.