The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 3, 2005, 11:55 AM   #1
beenthere

Reloading Lever Action

I have my first lever action rifle. I've read for forty years that you should full length size brass for lever action rifles.

Since you fire a cartridge and the case fireforms and then springs back a bit I'd like to know why you can't neck size the brass only while reloading. If more than one rifle was involved I'd understand because of chamber variations and the fact that there is no camming action to seat the loaded round.

I'd like to keep a Lee Classic Reloader at the lake to use and keep my regular C-press at home.
The weak, and those unwilling to make the struggle, soon resign their liberties for the protection of powerful men or paid armies; they begin by being protected, they end by being subjected. Louis L'Amour
Old November 3, 2005, 12:02 PM   #2
WIL TERRY

It Is Just As Easy To Fl Size As Neck Size So Why Bother.

Furthermore, you will find most chambers are out of round a tiny bit and neck sizing does NOT fix the problem of the fired cases not being round any more either.
But I think you should just go ahead and neck size anyway just 'cause they've been telling you to FL size for the past 80 years and what do those old folks know anyways....
Old November 3, 2005, 12:57 PM   #3
Hook686

Instead of asking, why not just give it a try. I neck size for my Marlin 1894c and have not had a problem as yet. Years ago I heard the same for semi-automtics. I've reloaded 9mm for P-38 and Glock 19 with hitch thus far. So maybe those old timers know a thing, or two, but , ya know, there are always exceptions to the rule.

Good luck and give it a try and then post your results.

Hook686
Old November 3, 2005, 01:10 PM   #4
AJ Peacock

Biggest reason I FL resize for my lever actions is that the lever action has less (a lot less) locking and extracting force than a bolt action. A little FL resizing and the rounds go in/out like butter off a hot knife.

Also, some brass (especially well used brass) gets work hardened and does not 'spring back' like it did before.

AJ
Old November 3, 2005, 01:13 PM   #5
LHB1

BeenThere,
The reason why FL sizing is advised with lever actions is that most of them don't lock up as solid as bolt actions and thus can allow the case shoulder to flow forward slightly upon firing. This in turn can cause reloads to feed tightly if at all unless the shoulder is pushed back to correct position during full length sizing. The key here is not JUST full length sizing BUT full length sizing WITH shoulder push back to correct position. Such movement will probably decrease the life of case and number of reloads before case failure. Lever actions also have little camming power or extraction power for tight fitting cases.

Now if you want, go ahead and try neck sizing. It might even work for you but at least you know why the recommendation is given to use full length sizing with "soft" actions.

Good shooting and be safe.
LB

ps: This advice applies primarily to bottle-neck cases.