The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 31, 2005, 04:43 PM   #1
kentucky_smith

Noob has question

Going to ask for reloading equipment for Christmas. Have a friend who reloads but haven't had room myself until recently and want to get into it :the .280 and 8mm mauser don't help.

So the question is: should I buy seperate components or a kit? What to buy?

Recomendations????
Old October 31, 2005, 08:20 PM   #2
rwilson452

kit?

Kits are cheaper than buying everything separate. But before you buy you need to think about what you want. at any rate you will need separate die sets. for simplicity sake I would suggest you look at the Lee turret press and get an extra turret. once you have the dies set you don't need to adjust them again unless you want to change something. If your looking to get into this at low cost I would suggest the Lee RGB die sets Same dies with out the extras. Peruse around this area and you will find everything you need to get. Once you have the list compare it to what is offered in the various kits. one word of warning. Reloading is very adictive. Proceed at you own risk. as others will suggest, get at least three data manuals. Lymans #48 is a favorite.

After your completely hooked we can start talking about chronographs, ballistics software and other nifty stuff.
Old October 31, 2005, 09:09 PM   #3
918v

The problem with kits is that they contain useless crap like a ballance-beam scale.

Buy good stuff, otherwise you'll end up selling it later at a loss.

I suggest you get a RCBS Rockchucker, a RCBS Chargemaster, Redding competition seater, neck, and body dies, and a Hornady hand priming tool. Yeah, it'll set you back $600 (on sale), but you'll never regret it. This "kit" will allow you to load superior ammunition at lightning speed when compared to other kits out there.

You can reduce the cost by 50% by going with a chepo digital scale, but it'll slow you down alot.
Old October 31, 2005, 11:34 PM   #4
Mullannix930

I got the Lee Kit, it is cheap and I use most of the stuff in it. I am looking to slowly replace some of the things but I don't have any complaints about any of the contents. The turret from lee is nice and I was going to go with it but I was given a great deal for the kit I got (less than $50). I know that Lee had at one time pre set the dies in the turret if you want. I am not sure if they still do or what the specs for the settings are. The single stage that I use is fine, a little slower than others but I don't mind the time and I will still use it for reloading for a S&W 500 mag when I get other setups for my .45 and .40.
Old November 1, 2005, 12:31 AM   #5
deadin

I have found the Lee turret press to be great for handgun cartridges, but just a little weak for full length resizing large rifle brass. I use the Lee for pistols and a Rockchucker for the heavy stuff.

Dean
Old November 1, 2005, 07:40 AM   #6
Leftoverdj

What Deadin said. The Lee turret is fine for pistol but not enough press for full sized rifle cases. Look for a used Rockchucker or a new Lee Classic Steel Press. If the money is there for a Rockchucker kit, go that route. If money is really tight, go with the Lee Challenger kit for about $80. Bear in mind that your initial supply purchase of a couple cans of powder, a thousand primers and a few boxes of bullets will eat $100.

I see absolutely no need for a high zoot scale. With the ball and short stick powders, you only need a scale to set the measure and to check about every 20th round. Balance beam works fine. I have yet to have anyone show me through actual shooting that weighing every charge gives a measurable improvement with the powders that meter well.
Old November 1, 2005, 08:49 AM   #7
Rico567

There is nothing whatever wrong with a balance beam scale, if it's a quality instrument and directions are followed. I used an Ohaus (now RCBS) 10-10 scale for a quarter century before buying an electronic scale & dispenser. Why did I go electronic? Why do people buy anything in a culture addicted to convenience? Are the electronics easier to use? Yep. Is it faster to throw precision-measured powder charges? Yep. Is it easier for my sixty-something eyes to read the weight? Yep. But are they somehow inherently more accurate than a good balance beam scale? Nope. From my experience, I just don't see it.

Balance beam scale tips:

1. Buy a good scale with agate bearings, like the RCBS 10-10 mentioned above. Be prepared to pay over $100.

2. Set up scale on the heaviest and most stable surface you have.

3. Don't attempt to operate the scale where there is any sort of draft. These days, a lot of heating & A/C ducts operate blowing air down from the ceiling. If operating and blowing down onto a scale (and this applies to electronics just as much as balance-beam scales), it will render any readings useless.

- Mark Twain
Old November 1, 2005, 10:03 AM   #8
deadin

I even bought one of the Lee Hand Presses (The "Nutcracker") It's great for traveling in my RV. I use a small beam scale or even dippers if I'm just loading range ammo. It is a workout with rifle cases and slow, but it works.

Speaking of "nutcracker" did you hear the one about the pirate that came into a bar with a parrot on his shoulder and a ships wheel hanging on his pants?
When the bartender asked if he knew he had a wheel on his pants ,the pirate said "ARRR, and it's drivin' me nuts."

Dean
Old November 1, 2005, 11:15 AM   #9
MARINE1

Personally I would buy a Lee kit first until you get the hang of reloading. Just in case you decide that it's not for you so you don't spend a lot of money on something you might not want to do. Once you get to like it I would then buy the more expensive stuff like th RCBS stuff. I personally would buy the hornaday presses they are just a good as the RCBS stuff but cheaper in price and come with more options in my opinion.
Old November 1, 2005, 01:25 PM   #10
Dave R

Another vote for the Lee Anniversary kit. I wouldn't spend $600 to get into reloading, although there are a lot of people who do. And I'm sure they don't regret it.

I actually got in peicemeal, buying used stuff cheap. But then, I'm a cheap guy. I was turning out cartridges after my total expenditures were under $100. If I had it to do over again, I would just buy the Lee Anniversary kit. Under $90 at www.midwayusa.com, and has most of the stuff you need. I think you'll also need a chamfer tool, a caliper and a way to trim brass if you're reloading centerfire rifles, and it sounds like you are.

Lee stuff is definitely "Chevy" and not "Cadillac", but it works and its cheap.
Old November 6, 2005, 02:51 PM   #11
Gatofeo

Nothing wrong with the Lee Anniversary Kit. It's a good deal.
And absolutely nothing wrong with a balance beam scale. I don't trust electronics. Balance beam scales are mechanical and depend upon gravity, which is a pretty reliable thing.
Digital scales depend on electronic circuitry, which is far from reliable.
Disagree? How often does your computer get a glitch? I rest my case.
I've heard good and bad about the Lee balance beam scale. Myself, I use the RCBS 1010 scale and love it.
My single-stage press is a Lee. I replaced my RCBS Jr. with it. Got tired of the weight and clumsiness of the RCBS Jr. with its thick cast iron. The Lee is slimmer, made of aircraft aluminum and is plenty strong for any reasonable reloading job.
The key is "reasonable." For major case forming or swaging bullets, use the heavier presses. I don't do that sort of thing so the Lee works fine.
My progressive press is a Dillon 550B. Not a good choice for the beginner. Get a single-stage press so you'll learn the basics without also having to learn complicated machinery.
Lee makes good stuff at a reasonable price. Without Lee, many, many reloaders would never have been able to enter this fascinating hobby.
I made my first reloaded cartridge (a .32 Winchester Special) in 1969 with a Lee Loader, when I was 14.
I'm still a fan of Lee. I use the other names too but for the beginner I suggest the Lee Anniversary kit. If you decide reloading is not for you, you won't be out a lot of money.