The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old April 10, 2011, 04:50 PM   #1
Hawg

How fast can you skin and gut a deer?

http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/...id=enews021611
Old April 10, 2011, 05:03 PM   #2
hooligan1

Well i never put a clock to it but nobody ever tells me to hurry up!! And if they did I'd smile and say "I'm savoring the moment", (I hope that's not showing my feminine side too much) because you have to set back and enjoy!! skinning does take me at least thirty to fourty-five mins!!By the looks of it I'm totally not even fast at it, Man that moves like he's late for a prom dance or something!!! He'd be wicked in a knife fight!!! JEEZE!!!

Last edited by hooligan1; April 10, 2011 at 05:10 PM.
Old April 10, 2011, 08:23 PM   #3
LOLBELL

The guy is good. No doubt about it. I have a 15 and a 17 year old that works at a local wild game processor. The youngest is no good at skinning at all but the oldest best time to date is 5 1/2 minutes. They do a little different though. They don't gut front half. They skin, get hind quarters, loins, front shoulders, inner loins, and neck meat. The 5 1/2 minutes was from laying on floor to in a pan in the cooler. One of the co-owners of the processor best time is just under 4 minutes. Neither does sloppy work. Meat is clean and neat. They process about 700 deer a year for the last 4 years. That helps.
Old April 10, 2011, 08:31 PM   #4
bswiv

I'm impressed............

Proper tools, that are in good condition ( Knife was sharp and so was saw blade. ).

And a rack that does not let the deer flop about.

Plus he was working on a warm deer......always the easiest time to do one.

We make a living cleaning fish so I have some idea about "wasted knife strokes" and how that effects production.

This guy has obviously thought about the process & has the sequence of the steps figured out. That's a lot of the battle any time you are trying to improves the speed of a process......thinking it through.....

He's not just fast with a knife but most likely a smart well organized person.
Old April 11, 2011, 12:44 AM   #5
BIG P

WOW,I need Me a buddy like that.I just thought I was quick BUT that is hard to beat. He's got my vote.
Old April 11, 2011, 03:03 AM   #6
FrankenMauser

Very quick, but not the highest quality job.

He cut the rear quarters while hacking the hide open.

And, he completely slaughtered that hide. It's not good for much, now; and there is absolutely no chance of selling it for a reasonable price.
Old April 11, 2011, 03:42 AM   #7
HiBC

No doubt the guy is skilled,and I can learn from watching him.
He obviously gets a lot of practice.I suppose the folks at the Con-Agra plant could show me some,too.
Among the folks I have seen in the field who take great pride in speed,they don't necessarily having the skills.I am thinking of a guy who would brag about how fast he could do it,who typically paid no attention to the bladder,he just had a bunch of swishy liquid to dump."Wild taste" marinade.
The few times I do it,I take a few minutes before I start,I go slow,and try to do a good job.I am in the field,no hoist.I use little zip ties and remove things without spillage.
Not putting anything down,that is impressive.I do like the way he skinned the legs.
Old April 11, 2011, 03:57 AM   #8
Hawg

I don't think many people care about the hide. I know around here and back home most throw it away with the entrails.
Old April 11, 2011, 04:03 AM   #9
nathaniel

If I woulda cleaned a deer that bad my grandpa woulda beat me. We dont get the luxury of a gramble/hoist, we either skin on the ground or use a fencepost. We skin the whole head and and our fur buyer always comments on how nice our capes are. Total time it takes me to gut,skin, and quarter a deer is around 10 minutes and thats taking my time. All I use it a buck 110 and a hatchet.
Old April 11, 2011, 08:34 AM   #10
reloader28

We never skin ours until we're ready to cut it up. Otherwise you have to reskin the dried meat, but it is WAY easier when its fresh.
We gut it, cool it, then cut it up on the 3rd day.
It takes us longer than 3 minutes, but its probly a better job, too. We can have it skinned and cut up, setting on the table in about 15 minutes.
Old April 11, 2011, 08:42 AM   #11
Gbro

That was interesting, however I have never skinned before dressing. We always leave the entrails in the forest/bush.
Then around here most seasons the carcass will freeze and unless the garage is heated skinning can take an hour or more. And we always want a nice marketable hide.
Have seen a rope tied to trailer hitch to help pull a hide from a frozen carcass.
I have never seen a deer with so little fat. If there isn't close to 1" or more fat on the hind quarters during hunting season I would say the deer is diseased.
Old April 11, 2011, 09:02 AM   #12
cnimrod

saw this a while ago

definitely down south (no fat) and they probably shot it right behind the barn so dragging it 50 feet no big deal.
I will say I've adapted to habit of hanging my deer by the hind legs as I gut it out. gravity helps the process and saves my back a little
Old April 11, 2011, 09:37 AM   #13
Saltydog235

Some of these comments make me LOL. I've skinned and prepped my fair share too. I done them hanging, with a wench, by hand on the ground, with a golf ball and a truck etc. I know sportsmen are a competitive lot but some of this is like a pecker measuring contest to a few of you, damn amusing.

These days, I'll go find a fellow like that or my normal processor to handle that specific task for me. Shoot them, drag em' out to where you can pick them up and take them down the road. I'm just too damn busy to worry or care about how fast or the slightest bit of meat/gristle left on a bone.

Keep the comments coming though, I may just have to suscribe to this one for the LOL's.
Old April 11, 2011, 09:42 AM   #14
Kreyzhorse

That's impressive. Me, I'm terrible at field dressing a deer but I've got a buddy he's really good and quick. He can have one done in about 10 minutes or so but not even close to this guy.
Old April 11, 2011, 09:48 AM   #15
FrontSight

Some people like to use a winch / truck / atv and it works pretty well, but better if it's hanging (no hairs that way)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_ykGB3ZGfU
Old April 11, 2011, 10:11 AM   #16
jimbob86

The idea of bringing a deer back to the garage with guts still in it ....:barf:

Different stokes for different folks, I guess.

That and the damage to the animal....I hope that was an exit wound on the right side .... the other side was so blood shot I could not tell what was what.... leaving all that blood in the animal for hours..... what does it profit you to clean the animal in 3 minutes if you waited all day to start?

We shoot them, field dress them, then haul them out of the woods, wash the blood out of them and hang them in a cool shed with the hide on if temps stay low enough. If not then they get skinned and hung in a walk-in at my uncle's ....

Last edited by jimbob86; April 11, 2011 at 10:17 AM.
Old April 11, 2011, 10:23 AM   #17
jimbob86

How fast am I ?

5 minutes to field dress, 10-15 if I am teaching kids how to do it. Eldest took nearly 30 minutes to do her first one without help.

Skinning & Quartering takes me about 30 min.... but then the animal has been hanging at least 2 days at 40 degrees and the skin is not hanging loose on the animal like it is in the video...... I'm not in a hurry.
Old April 11, 2011, 11:52 AM   #18
Deerhunter

The only part that impressed me was that he didn't cut himself.

I like to take my time gutting. I don't want anything left in there that doesn't need to be. We gut them in the woods and leave all that there for the critters. Depending on where we are hunting and the weather we usually just throw them in the back of the truck after getting as much blood out as we can. Once we have access to a hose we rinse them out. Usually takes about 10 minutes to gut a deer but that is while standing around BSing about the hunt and taking our time. If I am doing it by myself and not BSin then it takes about 5 minutes.

My buddy and I skin deer, one of us on each side. Usually they have cooled off so we don't have that loose skin hanging. Takes us about 10 minutes to skin one out again BSin the whole time.

That guy might be fast but it looked real sloppy.
Old April 11, 2011, 12:15 PM   #19
hornetguy

Quote:
I done them hanging, with a wench,
Was she a good looking wench?

I don't get to field dress animals very often, so it usually takes me a while. I like to get the entrails out ASAP, but usually wait til I get it back to the camp area to start skinning, boning. I've just recently started boning out my own kill, so I'm still learning on that, too.
Old April 11, 2011, 01:08 PM   #20
taylorce1

As fast as he split the pelvis I wonder how he kept for tearing the bladder open?
Old April 11, 2011, 01:25 PM   #21
jimbob86

If he eats it as fast as he field dressed it, he'll hardly taste the urine flavoring!
Old April 12, 2011, 01:17 AM   #22
sc928porsche

Yup.........looks about the same in a slaughterhouse. They dont waste time there either.
Old April 12, 2011, 05:35 AM   #23
Daryl

I can dress and skin one in 15-20 minutes, but I'm not usually in that big of a hurry. Once the animal is on the ground, and as long as there's enough daylight, I usually take my time and make sure it's done right.

I've dressed a few while holding a mini-maglight in my mouth, but it's not any fun.

Daryl
Old April 12, 2011, 01:31 PM   #24
jimbob86

Quote:
I've dressed a few while holding a mini-maglight in my mouth, but it's not any fun.
One of the bennies of bringing the kiddoes along is that when you need an extra hand or 6, you have them. They may not be strong hands, but keep this in mind: They will be, and your strength will fade eventually...... will they be with you then? That depends entirely on where they are now.
Old April 12, 2011, 01:51 PM   #25
mapsjanhere

The question is missing a vital piece of information - are dears in season and do I have a tag?