The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old March 8, 2011, 01:12 PM   #1
taylorce1

You can read all sorts of things!

I was checking out the ammo deals on CTD today searching for .22 WMR ammunition for this spring. I've got a Savage 93 that love the Federal 30 grain TNT hollow points, but I usually read the reviews on other brands to see if there is something else I should try. Found this one endorsement for Winchester Supreme 34 grain HP ammunition. I got quite a chuckle out of it and thought I should share it.

Quote:
TALK ABOUT PERFORMANCE!!!
Reviewer: Mr.22MAGNUM

12/15/2008

I've been hunting exclusively with my Taurus .22 Magnumm revolver for 10 years now and when I hunt with it I only feed it with the 34 grain supremes. My experiences with this bullet have all been superb. Everything from squirrels to moose ,can be taken with it ,under the right conditions. Personally my kill list includes turkey,coyote,snowshoe hares,cotton tails,squirrel,pheasants,grouse,and grounhogs.On my wish list is a Maine whitetail buck, blackbear,and a moose in Vermont, Maine and Vermont allow .22 magnums for big game.I have done penetration tests with the supreme,that remove all doubt. Why a gun writer would say the .22 Mag is outdated and I should be using a .17 is crap .THERE IS NO COMPARISON PERIOD......
While I might try it for prairie dogs, I don't think I'll be tackling moose and bear anytime soon with a 34 grain hollow point at 2200 fps. Especially with a revolver! This guy sure has big dreams for hunting with his little .22 WMR.

I know this probably isn't relevant to this forum, but I hope people put more thought into choosing adequate cartridges than this guy. I'm still a firm believer that there is a point when even though it is legal it should not be used, let common sense prevails. I think I’ll stick to my Federal .22 WMR ammunition for varmints and at least grab my .243 Win for the bigger game!

Last edited by taylorce1; March 8, 2011 at 02:41 PM. Reason: add content
Old March 8, 2011, 01:21 PM   #2
kd7sgm

That is funny, where was this endorsement? I can not imagine anyone seriously considering a 22 mag for moose and bear hunting

Last edited by kd7sgm; March 8, 2011 at 02:31 PM.
Old March 8, 2011, 01:32 PM   #3
taylorce1

Quote:
That is funny, where was this endorsement?
Cheaper than Dirt aka CTD.
Old March 8, 2011, 02:16 PM   #4
semi_problomatic

I just GOTTA get that gun!! Hang it on the wall as the "Moose Killer"
Old March 8, 2011, 02:30 PM   #5
madmo44mag

The moose he has in mind may be his mother - in - law
Old March 8, 2011, 04:05 PM   #6
FrankenMauser

The Winchester Supreme 30, 34, and 36 gr HPs are my favorite loads in .22 WMR (the 34 or 36 was discontinued - can't remember which). Those bullets are amazing. However, there is no way in hell, you could humanely use them for big game.

Those Winchester HPs are explosive.

Monty Python's Black Knight comes to mind.... "It's only a flesh wound. I've had worse!"
Old March 8, 2011, 05:24 PM   #7
markj

Scenario, guy sees moose, gets real close draws handgun in 22mag, moose notices man starts to trot over, man drops gun craps pants and runs fast.

Moose just dont have any sense of humor.
Old March 8, 2011, 06:17 PM   #8
davlandrum

I think he left out the sarcastic smiley

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old March 9, 2011, 03:29 AM   #9
m17s_guy

technically you COULD kill a moose with a 22mag.... though you would probably need to be within about 10 yards, and make a perfect heart shot without hitting anything but skin between the ribs..... of course before the moose dropped it would come stomp a mudhole in your who hah....

as for whitetail deer, in my younger stupider days i poached quite a few white tail with a 22mag.... though we had to follow them across the hundreds of acres or empty corn fields in the truck for a mile or so before they dropped.... as i said, younger and stupider... much stupider.
Old March 9, 2011, 08:38 AM   #10
Hunter Customs

I don't know what state Mr.22MAGNUM is hunting in but here in Missouri some of the species on his kill list would have been illegal with a rimfire rifle or any rifle firing a single projectile.

As for killing moose with a 22mag, I guess it could be possible but I personally would choose a lot more gun then that.

I did put down a cow for a neighbor with a 22 longrifle, he was surprised I did not bring a large caliber center fire rifle to do the job.
Of course the cow was only about 10 feet from me and facing me.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old March 9, 2011, 10:16 AM   #11
Tom Matiska

I was surprised MR22MAGNUM was not totally wrong. Maine allows 22 rimfireMAG for deer, but not Moose. Vermont requires .25 or larger centerfire for moose. I can't find where either state specifies firearms restrictions for bear.
Old March 9, 2011, 12:52 PM   #12
grubbylabs

Wow and to think this person probably votes to

Nope, the old nag's still dead .
(Capt Charlie)
Old March 9, 2011, 06:21 PM   #13
jmr40

At one time the largest Grizzly ever killed was with a 22 rimfire.
Old March 10, 2011, 03:43 AM   #14
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Yeah, jmr40, that fits what the thread title says.

Old March 10, 2011, 07:30 AM   #15
jmr40

Didn't say it was a good idea
Old March 10, 2011, 09:59 AM   #16
jmr40

A Native woman named Bella Twin, age 63, near Lesser Slave Lake shot one of the biggest grizzly bears on record. She killed the animal with a bullet to the right eye. Some say it was from a range of three feet. Other stories suggest she used a single shot, twenty-two caliber, short rabbit gun and used twelve shots to bring down the attacking bear. What ever the truth it makes for great story telling. My family followed the centuries old story telling time of the Metis and Indian cultures.

I did find proof in case there are any doubters. Her bear is listed in the Alberta game records. http://www.albertaoutdoorsmen.ca/record-book.html
Old March 10, 2011, 02:45 PM   #17
semi_problomatic

Just because it has been done, doesn't mean it should be done.
Old March 10, 2011, 03:13 PM   #18
jmr40

And I certainly agree. Here is a more detailed account http://www.huntshoot.com/forums/f5/l...-alberta-1974/

She didn't exacty plan on hunting griz that day. It was more an act of self preservation.

Like I said no one should plan on such, but even the lowly 22 is better than some give it credit for.
Old March 10, 2011, 04:40 PM   #19
markj

Quote:
Like I said no one should plan on such, but even the lowly 22 is better than some give it credit for.
Worked better than a sharp stick in the eye hadda say that
Old March 21, 2011, 01:00 AM   #20
jgcoastie

Yeah, and you could invade Syria with a slingshot and the Bible, but that don't make it a good idea....
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.
Old March 21, 2011, 03:45 PM   #21
markj

Quote:
Yeah, and you could invade Syria with a slingshot and the Bible, but that don't make it a good idea
Now if I had a 22mag to go along with that book......
Old March 28, 2011, 09:42 AM   #22
jhog1

Quote:
as for whitetail deer, in my younger stupider days i poached quite a few white tail with a 22mag.... though we had to follow them across the hundreds of acres or empty corn fields in the truck for a mile or so before they dropped....
Thats because you shot them in the heart and not the head !
Old April 12, 2011, 01:23 AM   #23
sc928porsche

Perhaps we should convince the guy to go after bear and make sure he dosnt take any back up.
Old April 15, 2011, 10:16 AM   #24
bamaranger

off track

This is sort of off track, but close enough. If I'm off base, slap me down.

I knew two "professional hunters" for the US Gov't who killed wild hogs in the NP's. They were regular backwoods hillbilly types, great shots and very woodswise. Both hunted with Savage 34 (340?) .22 Hornets and a reload using a .22 FMJ. Johnny had bobbed the barrel on his rifle to make it lighter and more handy. They shot exclusively high in the heck behind the ear and killed a bunch of hogs. Johnny held the record for kills for many years. Most of their hunting was stalk hunts, not over bait but covering ground in hog country. The Hornet was their choice as it was not loud and did not draw attention to their actions with other park users. The ammo and rifles were not heavy either. Neither were big guys, wiry ridge runner types. I had a chance to buy John's Hornet, and regret now I did not. It really looked the part of a pro hunters rifle. Weathered, scarred, but mechanically sound. Crazy guy had a M16 bird cage suppressor threaded on the end of the bobbed barrel, which was a turn off for me. Wish now I had bought it. He bought a new Ruger 77/22 Hornet.

Eventually the NPS regulated their activity, some admin type feared for their safety, and hoghunters were issued Ruger stainless M77-II 30- 06's.