The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old June 7, 2007, 01:57 AM   #26
T. O'Heir

"...bears are a legitimate threat..." Yogi is no threat. Cindy might be if you get between her and her cubs. Otherwise, bears think you smell of nothing but trouble. They'll avoid you like the plague.
"... legality of carrying a long gun..." As mentioned numerous times, it depends on where you are. Up here, in Ontario, if you're stopped in the bush by a CO and you have a firearm, you are assumed to be hunting. No hunting licence and you're charged with hunting without a licence. Have a rifle chambered in a calibre not suitable for whatever game is in season and you're charged with hunting out of season.
There are some counties where no rifle of a calibre greater than .275 is allowed at any time. Mostly in Southwestern Ontario.
No handguns at any time, period.
"...got tired when I was lost...and treking on..." You got lucky. That's a quick way to end up as dinner for the scavengers. Sit down, start a fire and contemplate life in general.
Old June 8, 2007, 04:21 PM   #27
The Deer Hunter

Well, what if Yogi is shot down by Cindy and goes ego tripping and I am in the way?

I know bears don't like people, and will try to avoid them if all possible. But the fact that people DO die from bears attacking them is a good enough reason to bring a gun.

Plus, I like walking around the woods with a gun.
Old June 20, 2007, 12:44 AM   #28
Fat White Boy

Better safe than sorry- A black Bear ate a 10 year old kid two days ago in Utah....
Old June 27, 2007, 10:32 PM   #29
Arizona Fusilier

We have mucho public lands, National Forest and otherwise, here in Arizona. While there are some specialized federal laws regarding "Parks", "Monuments", and others, for the most part the AR, FN, HK, or the Galil comes with.
Old June 28, 2007, 02:42 AM   #30
.45&TKD

Arizona,

So no hassles open carrying a long arm in the sticks of AZ?

Last edited by .45&TKD; June 28, 2007 at 11:43 AM.
Old June 28, 2007, 09:08 PM   #31
Arizona Fusilier

Simple answer, no.

I think most people who venture in the sticks would think you strange for not having one.
Old July 3, 2007, 01:50 AM   #32
azredhawk44

I concurr with Arizona Fusilier, with one exception: hippie and granola types. I'll be hiking along with a handgun or a rifle for protection out in the great wide open wilderness, taking in the scenery and in general just enjoying myself.

Suddenly, blundering along down the trail in the opposite direction, a pair of dirty unwashed hippies come tromping through. Judgemental stares for me and my weapon, brief and barely cordial words, and they continue tromping in their direction.

I don't know if they "report" me when they see me or not, but I've never had a forest ranger or rural sherriff come looking for me. I think they get back to their cars and forget about it, but types like that sometimes take it upon themselves to make trouble for others with views that they don't approve of. A little micro-version of eco-terrorism using harrassment from police as a weapon.

When hiking with a weapon, I make sure that I don't do any recreational plinking. If somebody lies and says I shot at or near them intimidatingly, I want a clean bore and no powder residue anywhere, with a full magazine.
Old July 3, 2007, 02:53 AM   #33
.45&TKD

Thanks azredhawk44 & Arizona Fusilier.

I've lived in AZ for 14 years and have barely explored any of it outside the Phoenix metro. When the kids get older I'll have to take the family out of the city more.
Old July 4, 2007, 04:55 AM   #34
Death from Afar

Bless my american friends, but I just cant get my head around your game laws!