The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 3, 2000, 06:13 PM   #1
blooch

how much brass do you lose in a typical outting ? we seem to recover 75-80% of the brass that hits the ground, how about everybody else? i am talking about in shooting semi-automatic centerfire handguns and rifles.
Old August 3, 2000, 06:45 PM   #2
HankL

Depends on where you are doing your shooting.
I have a Colt Delta 10MM race gun that will hide brass from you on a gym floor, in the field I feel lucky If I find 50% At the outdoor range with a 45 ACP I can usually find all of my brass.
Old August 3, 2000, 08:05 PM   #3
Good Guy

At the range I usually find 95-100%.
Out plinking and having fun, maybe find 80%.
While out hunting/varminting I lose more than half. Sometimes I don't bother even looking, depending on the terrain. It really irks me when I lose M1A match brass. The 223 and 45acp is no big deal though.

------------------
Just one of the Good Guys
Old August 4, 2000, 03:02 PM   #4
Monkeyleg

With my .45 I usually find every piece---no matter how long it takes. It makes no sense at all to spend half an hour looking for a two cent piece of brass in the gravel and grass, but it infuriates me to think that something could disappear completely. In all of life's mysteries, that of the lost case is second only to the miracle of Immaculate Conception.

Dick
Want to send a message to Bush? Sign the petition at http://www.petitiononline.com/monk/petition.html and forward the link to every gun owner you know.
Old August 4, 2000, 03:07 PM   #5
JoeHatley

At the indoor range I usually get back about 90%, but outdoors I'm lucky to recover 75%.

It's amazing how hard to see that shiny brass can be..

Joe

------------------
Go NRA
Old August 4, 2000, 03:42 PM   #6
DOCSpanky

The geeks at our indoor range claim that once the brass hits the floor, it becomes their property. Its apparently in the fine print of the waiver you sign. Therefore, I only shoot at the outdoor range now, where I too will wallo in the grass and sand to find my .308 brass. Damn you guys who use all that steel cased crap and don't remove it!

------------------
Happiness is a smoking gun, and a dead criminal!

.308 Holes, make invisible souls!

[This message has been edited by DOCSpanky (edited August 04, 2000).]
Old August 5, 2000, 05:57 AM   #7
Cougar

Outdoor range? I have a recovery rate of 95% or better. In fact, I have a better recovery rate outdoors than I do indoors.

The reason? I spread a sheet or blanket (or even the ubiquitous 'blue tarp' out on the ground where my semi-autos throw their brass. My guns all throw the empties out in a consistant direction. I may have to move the tarp for each gun, but at least each gun is consistant! Granted, I usually go to an outdoor range where there are few shooters, but the point is still valid.

Indoors I have more of a problem since the fired brass bounces forever and more randomly once it hits on a hard surface. It may fly out of my stall and into the next one, hit the stall wall and bounce more randomly, or sometimes it will even bounce forward of the firing line. Sorry, that's one place I will not go to recover a two cent piece of brass! I do sweep the floor around by stall both before and after I have my shooting session so I can usually pick out my brass. Again it helps that I go to the range at off-peak times!

At a match I have to figure that the fired brass is not recoverable and have my brass 'staged' accordingly--you know, those that are approaching 'retirement' anyway.

Monkeyleg, I don't fall for that Immaculate Conception analogy. I think the 'lost' brass ends up the same place as the proverbial lost sock when doing the laundry!

------------------
Remember, just because you are not paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you!
Old August 6, 2000, 10:30 PM   #8
Big Bunny

Due to movment in the pistol service match I shoot, I lose up to 20% of my shiny .40S&W, but find many others.
Sometimes I get 100 or so more extra as 40S&W is so popular. All it needs is a clean and a safety check for splits and off we go to reload !

I did buy 50 CBC Magtec last year, 40 are left somewhere in the cupboard - in case a full load is required some time in the future.
With all the increase in "home invasions" here after the "Howard guns buy-back" it might well be sooner rather than later!

I love "fossicking" for brass ...most rewarding, certainly beats $25/100 new brass price!

BB

------------------
If we shooting sportspersons don't hang together... we will all hang separately !
Never knock another's different shooting interest or discipline...REMEMBER we are all but leaves on the same tree of freedom.