The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 22, 2013, 10:42 AM   #1
jeepmcd

CCW license but no CCW

I have been planning to earn my CCW license for a few years now. I recently got my license, but now my problem is that with the crazy buyers out there paying two or three times the MSRP for my first choices, I cannot find anything that I want.

When I first started pricing, looking and dreaming of CCW, my choices were as follows:
1. M&P Shield 9mm
2. Sig P238, even though 9mm is really the minimum size for me.
3. M&P Compact 9mm

Any thoughts on when these will become available at or near MSRP? Or alternatives for consideration?

I have a P226 that I do and will carry until I get something better.
Old January 22, 2013, 11:32 AM   #2
jeepmcd

When is the handgun market going to cool off... if ever?
Old January 22, 2013, 12:17 PM   #3
RBid

The handgun market won't rebound, until people stop buying. The manufacturers can't keep up, so they're going to be stuck in catch up mode* until people slow down. From what I'm seeing, people really aren't likely to slow down until we know exactly what is/is not happening with regard to legislation.

Once people slow down, it will probably be a quick rebound for ammunition. Handguns should rebound within a few months. Rifles... Well... That may take a year.
Old January 22, 2013, 12:24 PM   #4
BillyJack3

I think the 238 is a highly concealable and ideal CCW. There are plenty that will argue the .380 caliber and that's a personal decision. Mine has been completely reliable. Check the 938 also if you are set on 9mm being your minimum.
Old January 22, 2013, 12:41 PM   #5
R1145

Sounds like a good problem to have...

Congratulations for taking on the responsibility of defending yourself, your family and community: Always strive to be worthy of it!

The P226 is a fine weapon, and now you have the luxury of time to save for your dream weapon. Many firing ranges have weapons for rent, and you should test fire various models to see which one suits you best.

I would save up and wait for the dream gun, even if you end up paying a premium, because it will hold its value, and be cheaper in the long run than buying a succession of lesser guns at lower price.

Keep your eyes peeled for a used weapon at various venues. It seems there's a whole new crop of polymer guns designed for CCW out now, and people might be trading up.

I'm a fan of the M&Ps, so no argument there. I don't have experience with the newer guns out there, but the classic dilemma is size vs. power. I usually carry a lightweight J-frame in a pocket holster, because it's light and easy, but realize I could be caught short in a real gunfight. On the other hand, if I bring the G19, I pretty much am wearing a holster, and that means more clothes and hassles than I would otherwise have here in SoCal.

Given my lifestyle and environment, I'm comfortable with it, but it's a choice you need to decide for yourself.

Enjoy!

Last edited by R1145; January 22, 2013 at 12:51 PM.
Old January 22, 2013, 12:44 PM   #6
jeepmcd

Thanks for the advice, I will be waiting for the Shield in 9mm. I have tried the M&P compact and loved it, and although I haven't had the chance to shoot a Shield, when I held one it felt great.
Old January 22, 2013, 01:21 PM   #7
bigghoss

In my area I'm still able to find a couple honest gun shops that aren't gouging, whether or not their distributors will is another story. Of course they have to actually have guns in stock in the first place...
Old January 22, 2013, 01:30 PM   #8
Patriot86

Any of those guns will be tough to find right now.Your best bet is to wait.

I got a M&P Shield for my wife, it is a great little pistol and I might just have to buy a second for myself. Very easy to CC. Finding one is tough though, I got mine before the recent insanity and even then I had to drive an hour away to a gunship in the middle of nowhere. They had gotten in 5 the previous day and had ONE left by the time I got there.

Its a personal call if you go for the M&P Compact or Shield. I would almost honestly say you should buy the M&P Compact, see if you like it for summer carry, If its too much for you then get a shield.

I own a P226 and I have all the right gear for it. Even in summer clothing it does not print unless I really bend over. Comfort is another thing but such is life.

I was LUCKY enough to find my PPQ right in the middle of the insanity, everyone at the time (week before X-Mas) was so focused on the rifle counter no one noticed the PPQ which was almost hidden in my LGS's display case.
Old January 22, 2013, 01:30 PM   #9
zincwarrior

Wait six months. Things will slowly start to ease up. Most importantly: DON'T PANIC.
Old January 22, 2013, 02:39 PM   #10
jeepmcd

I would be disappointed with myself if I paid the going rate of $715ish for a shied right now. I am on two waiting lists both are under $429. I think I will wait per your advice.
Old January 22, 2013, 02:43 PM   #11
zincwarrior

Look at it this way.
1) nothing will have passed. Things will ease up.
2) nothing will have passed but we know where its heading. Gear towards whats going to be available.
3) Everything conceivable was passed and the government just saved your wallet lots of money that your wife and kids are certain could be better spent on them.

So it will all work out in the end.
Old January 22, 2013, 02:47 PM   #12
Bart Noir

Any gun is better than no gun! You need something!

A used gun is still a fine option, while you search for the carry gun of your dreams. And for the record, since I own a M&P Compact and have fired the Shield, I consider them both excellent choices.

There are smaller single stack S&W 3rd generation pistols on the used market, and some are not very used. These are the 3913 and 3914 models. And a double stack to match them, this being the 6904. These are sturdy, light, and not too expensive. They have the DA/SA trigger system, external hammer, and decocking safety on the slide.

If you want the Glock type of single trigger pull, look for used Glock compacts or sub-compacts.

And there are plenty of other used choices. Heck, a German police surplus P-38 is not expensive and gives you extra points for cool hardware

Bart Noir
Who thinks a 3-inch Detective Special is much better than no gun at all. Bogart would approve.
Old January 22, 2013, 04:54 PM   #13
jeepmcd

No worries, I do have something... West German Sig P226 from 1993. I picked it up at a show while I was looking at a 92fs. Love it, shoots great and although it may not rank as the coolest hardware, my buddies love it also. I had a custom OWB holster made by a local guy, but in reality it's to large and heavy for everyday use.
Old January 22, 2013, 05:05 PM   #14
Dondor

Something you need to consider with the 238 is the manual of operation.

It is different than the other two.

Not sure about the 226, is it SA only?

My 238 needed around 700 rounds before I would not get any FTE or FTFeed. Polishing my feed ramp helped. These guns are just tight out of the factory. After that, it has been flawless in its design capabilities. It won't rattle off 100 rounds like my G22 will, but it's a small gun not meant or designed for sustained fire.
Old January 22, 2013, 05:21 PM   #15
carguychris

Quote:
Heck, a German police surplus P-38 is not expensive and gives you extra points for cool hardware
Other slim 9mm candidates in the "Old but Cool" column include the Star BKM, BKS, BM, and M43 Firestar; the S&W full-size metal-frame 9mm pistols- the Models 39-2, 439, 539, 639, 3904, and 3906; and the Beretta 1951 aka 951, 51, or Brigadier, although the crossbolt safety kinda sucks.

If you can deal with the slightly less powerful 9x18mm Makarov cartridge, the original Makarov pistol and the Polish Radom P-64 and P-83 are popular choices, although the selection of JHP ammo is relatively limited. The CZ 82 is slightly larger than these pistols but packs 12+1rd firepower.

I will admit, however, that parts availability may be problematic for some of these guns.

If you drop down another step to .380ACP, your choices expand drastically. Older and/or metal-frame .380s do not seem to be flying off store shelves nearly as quickly as other pistols, even the high-capacity double-stack models (e.g. CZ 83, Beretta 84, and Browning BDA 380).
Old January 22, 2013, 06:27 PM   #16
the duck of death

Look at the Glock 27, lots of power in a small package.
Old January 23, 2013, 12:20 AM   #17
breakingcontact

I like the Shield a lot, but that 238 should have a sweet trigger.
Old January 23, 2013, 10:49 AM   #18
militant

Used revolvers are still cheap and there is still .38 ammo on the shelves.
Old January 23, 2013, 11:01 AM   #19
jimbob86

Quote:
there is still .38 ammo on the shelves.
..... at 2X the price of 9mm. That's half of the reasons why used .38 revolvers are cheap. The other half is that you get twice the capacity in a similar sized gun with equal performance with a 9mm auto.
Old January 23, 2013, 11:38 AM   #20
Cemo

If you like the Sig P238 you should like their P938 also which is in 9mm.
Old January 23, 2013, 01:29 PM   #21
Nytelyte

Quote:
I have been planning to earn my CCW license for a few years now. I recently got my license, but now my problem is that with the crazy buyers out there paying two or three times the MSRP for my first choices, I cannot find anything that I want.

When I first started pricing, looking and dreaming of CCW, my choices were as follows:
1. M&P Shield 9mm
2. Sig P238, even though 9mm is really the minimum size for me.
3. M&P Compact 9mm

Any thoughts on when these will become available at or near MSRP? Or alternatives for consideration?

I have a P226 that I do and will carry until I get something better.
You are in (or near) Columbus, OH. Go to Vances. I was there two days ago, and they were busy but still had a lot of stock on everything except range ammo. You are going to take a number and wait, but their shelves were still very full. Heck, I got two G19 magazines. And right now they are running a special with Glocks for $50 off. I know thats not on your list, but it shows they are specifically NOT gouging.
Gun World over in Hilliard has stuff to pick through as well. They aren't as advertised or busy, but if you can wade through the old farts talking to the owner and get some attention, you might find what you are looking for there. I don't much care for the shop, I'm not old enough to register highly on his radar, but it wouldn't stop me from getting something I needed.
Old January 23, 2013, 05:09 PM   #22
militant

I get a box of 50 rounds of .38 for 15.95. I get a box of 9mm for nothing because there is NONE. I personally carry a Taurus 605 in .357. So I can shoot cheaper when I practice with .38 special of use .357 for self defense. Exactly what pistol are you using comparable in size to a snub nose revolver with twich the capacity? I have a Kel Tec PF9 that is comparable in size, but it only carrys 7 rounds. I'll trade the extra two rounds for the power of my .357.
Old January 23, 2013, 06:01 PM   #23
jimbob86

Quote:
Exactly what pistol are you using comparable in size to a snub nose revolver with twich the capacity?
My EMP holds 10. Weighs 26 oz. emty, is 6.5" long X 5.25" high.

Ruger sp101 holds 5, weighs 26 oz. empty, and is 7" long X 4.5 high.

Here's an ARfcom thread comparing the Glock 26 with a j-frame:

http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.ht...&f=10&t=106802

the Block is heavier loaded, of course...... but it has 2x as much lead in it.
Old January 23, 2013, 07:50 PM   #24
jrc50

I started looking a few months ago for a smaller backup CC that used a bit less expensive ammo than the Kimber 45 Crimson Carry I bought early last year, which is a good gun but 45 ACP ammo seems to keep climbing. Ended up buying a M&P 9c about three weeks ago, it came with (2) 12 round magazines. Have not even shot it yet as have been away from home steadily since then but plan to run several hundred rounds though it, looks and feels pretty nice and seems to be rated high on this web site.
After purchasing it and going though some of the U Tube videos on it, discovered that the "normal" 17 round magazines would fit it too, and would be great for the range. However, none are to be found anywhere in South Alabama, which I guess is no surprise given the current situation. No one in our area gunshops knows anything nor are being told anything by Smith and Wesson and about all you come away with is a lot of opinions about guess who, which are meaningless at this point.
Old January 23, 2013, 08:45 PM   #25
Hairbag

All good choices but you should start looking at more guns cause you can't be picky in this market. Kahr line makes some nice CCW Love my EMP40 and my kahr K9 elite oh, and my glock 27 i would never part with any of them.