The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 27, 2012, 10:32 PM   #1
Ethan.G

hp-38 .45 acp

So ill start out by saying this is my first loading for an auto loader, my friend found about 400 LSWC and a Ton of brass in her grandfathers old gun lockers she inherited and brought it over to me to load for her. after some research i chose hp38 and i dont like it
Its smokey and leaves a nasty blackness in the barrels. because im using LSWC im seating bullet pretty far in the case and im hopeing thats my problem. i did a load work up and it got better above 5.0 but saw no difference in smoke and flash approaching 5.4.

if i buy some fmjs or plated bullets would it be better? i bought an entire pound of this stuff and i dont want it to suck hahaha but what powder could i use with better results with these bullets? (i dont want to use unique and id rather stay away from flake powder)
Old July 27, 2012, 10:43 PM   #2
Adamantium

Lead bullets are dirty and smokey to shoot, it's not the powder you are using. HP-38/W231 does have a reputation for being more smokey than average with cast bullets but it isn't going to be a lot better no matter what you use.

Try some plated and your problem will go away like magic.
Old July 27, 2012, 10:46 PM   #3
Ethan.G

awesome thank you for the reassurance
Old July 28, 2012, 07:02 AM   #4
hodaka

H-38/231 has pushed a lot of lead LSWC's down the barrels of .45's over the years. Certainly dirtier than cast or plated slugs but much cheaper, in your friend's case, the first 400 are free. You did not mention weight but my standard is 5.2 gr. for both 230's and 200's. I would keep doing what you are doing and just clean the pistol afterwards. Regards,
Old July 28, 2012, 09:11 AM   #5
Ozzieman

How do the cases look on the outside? If the case has a lot of black soot on the outside that can tell several things, ether not enough pressure or not enough crimp (taper crimp).
This might also be a load that’s too hot.
For 230 GR lead Hodgdon recommends for HP-38 a max load of 5.3 GR, this is a pressure of 17,000 CUP. For a 200 max is 5.6.
You may not be getting all of the powder burnt.
These are very old lead bullets, what’s the condition of the lube on the bullets? Since you don’t know the age or manufacture of the bullets this could be reason.
Others have said go to plated bullets, I disagree, the slight advantage of dirt and smoke do not cover the price difference.
Lead is all I shoot in everything from 38’s to 44 mag and if it’s a properly manufactured bullet with a good quality lube the little increase in smoke and dirt is not a real issue. I use Penn bullets and both indoor ranges ok there use even with the slight increase in smoke.
I shoot thousands of Penn’s 200 GR in my 1911’s every year and use a medium load of Win 231. After shooting the cases look like they could be loaded again without cleaning.
Never used H-38 myself.
http://www.pennbullets.com/45/45-caliber.html
http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp
Old July 28, 2012, 11:07 AM   #6
g.willikers

One nice thing about HP-38/ 231 is that it's very consistent for velocity, from round to round.
While it's kind of dirty, it's soft and cleans up real easy.
Some of the cleaner shooting powders seem to be harder to get off the gun.
Overall, it's a favorite.
Old July 28, 2012, 11:48 AM   #7
chris in va

Are those LSWC lubed?

Lead smokes a lot more than jacketed. Takes some getting used to.
Old July 28, 2012, 12:27 PM   #8
Ethan.G

Ozzieman, they are 200s and the outside of the case is perfectly fine, no scorch marks at all

and ya they have a blue lube on them but i have no idea what condition it is in. i have no idea what im looking for, its the same diameter of the bullet as in it didnt sink in so i thought its probly still good. we live in the dessert tho so i was thinking they might have dried out?? ... i have no idea about bullet lube if you havent noticed lol

Tags
.45acp , hp-38 , lswc