The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 22, 2000, 08:53 PM   #1
rock_jock

I will be vacationing in southern Ohio during the week of Thanksgiving (Nov 21-28) and would like to try to schedule a deer hunt while I am there. What do you folks suggest in terms of location and timing? I saw that Ohio's deer season (for guns - I am not a bowhunter) starts on the 27th, which only gives me one day to shoot a deer, plus I would have to get a rifled barrel for my shotgun, or a new handgun. Kentucky's season for the northern counties falls right during this week, but I can't find any info on guides, land, etc. Any help is appreciated.
Old September 23, 2000, 09:36 AM   #2
Hal

Best place to start. www.dnr.state.oh.us

Ohio's Dept. of Natural Resources is one of the better ones.
www.dnr.state.oh.us/odnr/wildlife/hunting/index.html
For some more specific info. In Ohio you can also call 1-800-BUCKEYE for information.
Old September 23, 2000, 06:39 PM   #3
Fisher

Ohio is not like the western states. We have state forests that you can hunt without any costs to the hunters. The private land here in Ohio is hunted on the honor system. There are not any hunting leases that I am aware of. To hunt the private land you have to make contact with the land owner to get permission. As for guides, I don't think I have ever come across a person or business in Ohio that had a guide services for deer hunting. There are preserves that have hunts for birds though (quail & pheasant). I very well maybe wrong about this and if I am I'm sure someone on here will correct me.