The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 11, 2012, 10:52 PM   #1
Roger G

Disappointed

I purchased a 98 Mauser,chambered 22-250 with a Bishop Thumbhole stock.It has what I think are Weaver Mounts. I also purchased a K10-60-B Weaver glass and it has the dovetail detatchable mounts on it. So I mounted the scope,it fit just fine.
Today I took it outside and put in on my shooting bench and now the disappointment.
I see NOTHING. I cannot get a sight picture of anything. I think the problem is I cannot get my eye to lineup with the scope.
I take the scope off an look thru and it works perfect. Sight picture sharp and clear.
SO WHAT DO I DO?????
DO I look for taller mounts so I can get my eye lined up or what.
The mounts on the barrel are 55 in the back and 16 on the front .I have never set up a scope before so I need all the help and suggestions I can get.
THANKS
ROGER
Old March 12, 2012, 08:35 AM   #2
mapsjanhere

My first suggestion - take the rifle and find out where your eye has to be to get a sight pictures. Turn it sideways if you must. That should tell you if you have the wrong eye relief, are mounted somehow sideways or what else needs to be changes. Picture of your mounting system would be nice too, that 55/16 isn't quite clear to me.
Taking a look at the scope, that K10 has a very long middle tube, giving you lots of room for error in mounting. The scope needs to be between 3 - 4 inches from your eye when aiming, otherwise you can't see a thing.
Old March 14, 2012, 02:34 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

My first thought is that the stock was custom made for someone with high cheekbones and you can't get your face down enough to see through the scope.

If so, the answer is either to have major surgery on your face or cut down the cheek rest on the stock.

Jim
Old March 14, 2012, 06:58 PM   #4
Roger G

James
LOL.
Thanks I will call my plastic surgeon ASAP.
In reallity James I think thats whats happening. The cheek peice on the stock is to High I cant get my face in there to get lined up with the scope.Its a BISHOP CUSTOM THUMBHOLE so I really dont want to start hackin on it.
When I get a chance I am going to get the setup out again and make sure the barrel is level and then set a stack of quarters on each mount on the reciever till I can see thru the scope. Then mic the quarters and see how much I need to get that site picture. Then just change the mounts accordingly. I been thinking about this situation a lot. Actually my wife gave me a raise so I can think now LOL.
LET YA KNOW HOW IT COMES OUT
Thanks for the suggestions so far.
ROGER
Old March 14, 2012, 10:21 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

I really think I would lower the comb of the stock; I have no doubt that can be done in such a way as to keep the stock looking right. You can only raise the scope so much by using high mounts and the scope will end up looking funny. You might talk it over with a local gunsmith if there is one you work with.

Jim
Old March 15, 2012, 03:18 PM   #6
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
Aren't all thumbholes that way ? I don't care for them , because the comb is too high , so you have to use high rings . Oh and they are heavier than a stock needs to be too !
Old March 15, 2012, 03:54 PM   #7
Roger G

Ya know OLDSAP
Im thinkin that you are right. I just may change the stock.I had Bishop custom sporter stock on my FN and never had this problem,it was not a thumbhole. Im am also thinkin you are rite when you say the stock is way heavier than it needs to be. This thing weighs about 13 lbs. I had it out this afternoon and you guys are right. The cheek peice is way to high. I stack up some quaters on the mounts and then set the scope on the quarters and was able to get a parchel site picture, so thats what has to happn. The scope has to be higher or change out the stock and get rid of that high cheek peice.
Old March 18, 2012, 12:29 PM   #8
PetahW

It's waaaay cheaper to buy a set of much higher rings - Weaver extra-high rings are about $20 online:

http://swfa.com/Weaver-Detachable-To...gs-P10404.aspx

Old March 20, 2012, 09:56 AM   #9
emcon5

Get higher rings. For a varmint rifle, higher rings can be a good thing, giving the perception of a flatter trajectory beyond your zero range.
Old March 21, 2012, 09:11 PM   #10
Jerry45

Quote:
eoneoldsap: Aren't all thumbholes that way ? I don't care for them , because the comb is too high , so you have to use high rings . Oh and they are heavier than a stock needs to be too !

No, they are not all too high. Yes they are heavier. I have medium rings on all of my Boyd thumbhole stocks. Three have Savage actions in them and give me a dead center line of sight through the scopes. On my 06 I have added a cheek rest (see picture) and I’ve added a ¼’ piece of foam between it and the comb to bring my eye up high enough for a proper sigh picture. Seems the Remington action sits higher in the stock than the Savages do. Can't use lower rings because of the size of the scope.

Last edited by Jerry45; March 21, 2012 at 09:24 PM.