The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 21, 2011, 10:21 AM   #1
hotairgypsy

need some advice setting up my Rem 760 for elk this season

Good morning...This is my first post here on this forum but very familiar with forum etiquette. Heres the deal..I have been out of hunting for a good 15 years but my father decided out of know where to put in for elk and wanted me to also. So we both put in and I got lucky and drew for mature bull elk. Well i still have my rifles from when i was younger and decided to modernize my .270 a bit since i am older now(43). yeah yeah call me a pansy but I dont care for recoil. A few years back i bought a AR15 and it was a blast. could shoot all day and no problems. Now i go back to the cannon and dont want to be beat to death. Well i did some research and bought a limbsaver recoil slip on pad. I wanted a custom but the end of my rifle has a curve and so i called up the manufacture and gave them the exact dimensions and they told me which slip on to buy. Perfect fit. I know it added some bulk but I went and shot it a few days ago and it didn't bother me at all so it will work.

Now to my problem. This rifle was passed down to me by my father from his father. It is a Remington 760 pump action .270. Don't know how old yet but will look at the sticky later to determine that. Well a million years ago my father had put a simple scope on it for me. A few years later I change out the rings to have over and unders so i could use the open sights if i wanted it and the scope with just a lift of the head. Well now we fast forward 15+ years and I find myself pulling it out of the closet and wanting to make some changes. I had purchased a nice scope for my AR15 a few years back but when i sold it I kept the scope. Well i decided i wanted it on the Remington. So i swapped scopes a couple of weeks back. The top of my rifle is rounded so my mounts have a rounded base so it sits flush. Each base has 2 screws holding it down to the rifle. When i went to mount my newer scope it would not mount properly because if the way my over and unders are made. They lean back. I guess it is a look this. Well I flipped the front one around to get enough gap between the rings for the scope to sit properly and secured it all down. well in order to flip the front ring around and seat the scope i could only mount the front one on the front screw..so front ring is held down with one screw and the back mount is held down by 2 screws. It all seems secure so thought I would take a chance and go sight in the rifle this past week. Well I set up a target at 50 yards and took two shots and could not find my marks. I went to open sight and took one shot and was inch and a half from center bull. after looking things over it looks like my cross hairs are about 2 feet from center at 2 o'clock. I know i cannot get this much adjustment in my scope so i know i have a problem. I am thinking about getting a picatinny weaver rail for my remington 760 but cannot decide which to go with. round bottom or flat bottom. reason i cannot decide is in the mounting. The mounting holes on my rifle may not match up with the rounded bottom since they are in a fixed location. The flat bottom one has adjustment.

I know it is a long story but wanted you to have detail. So i need to fix my scope issue so let me give you some specs so you know know before and after

Old scope:

bushnell sportview 3x9x, 32 waterproof T 1393

new scope i had mounted on my AR15 at one point:

Nikon Buckmaster

So what are your thoughts for fixing my sighting problem
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0186.jpg (236.7 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0185.jpg (243.5 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0199.jpg (235.7 KB, 17 views)
Old August 21, 2011, 11:02 AM   #2
Jim Watson

I would get a Weaver scope base listed specifically for the Remington. The holes will be in the right place.
I would lay the scope up over the base (or bases, it might be a two piece set) and see how it lines up for the right eye relief. Then I would get scope rings to suit, either regular or offset. I don't like see through scope mounts but since you do, Weaver makes them.
Old August 21, 2011, 03:08 PM   #3
Doyle

+1 on what Jim said. Get yourself a proper base and ring set for that 760.
Old August 21, 2011, 06:05 PM   #4
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
That would be weaver base No. 62 , it's one piece ! You should be able to go with low rings , maybe mediums if you are going to use caps on your scope ! Now there is definately an issue with your see thrus . You should be able to reverse either or both and still use all four screws , as that's how eye relief is adjusted with with those POS mounts ! Do your self a big favor and trash them ! Put your Elk hunting coat on when you set your eye relief , as thats when you want the gun to mount perfectly ! Slip on pads usually add an inch to the length of pull , and that may require you to use an extension ring on the front or rear , or both ! The 760s were made with alot of drop in the stock so that the iron sights could be used . With those see thrus you have to completely lift your cheek off the stock , which increases felt recoil , and ruins accuracy ! I would suggest that you change out your mounts , remove the slip on pad , and shoot the rifle ! If you don't get a better sight picture and less felt recoil I'll eat my hat ! Heck the .270 is a ***** cat to shoot !
Old August 22, 2011, 12:15 AM   #5
hotairgypsy

just ordered the #62 rail. The limbsaver is a keeper for me. I took off the original screw on butt plate before installing and i dont have a problem with the length. All the advice is great...keep it coming..I am reading all very carefully. thanks all