The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old January 14, 2010, 06:53 AM   #1
Dannyl

Basic First Aid kit, do you keep one handy?

Hi,
This is not strictly gun related, but certainly has a lot to do with tactics.
( I do hope the moderators forgive me and don't lock the thread too soon)

Issues such as carrying knives, spare ammo, torches and BUG's have been mentioned and discussed at length, yet I have not seen any mention of something with which to save your life (or someone else's) AFTER the fight has ended but you (or someone near you) is bleeding.

In the military each soldier carries a bandage in his front left pocket (at least in the IDF, I believe that the US carry one in a pouch on their webbing).

Most of us agree that it is not guaranteed to survive a confrontation unscathed, and when the fight is over (in some scenarios even during the fight), being able to stem bleeding will determine whether you live or not.

For that purpose I have a reasonably well kitted First Aid kit in my vehicle, which is never too far from me, and If I am camping, hunting, etc, I carry some basics on me. (Off course, one should also learn at least basic first aid).

What are your thoughts on this issue?

Brgds,

Danny

Last edited by Dannyl; January 14, 2010 at 09:37 AM. Reason: corrected a typo
Old January 14, 2010, 08:07 AM   #2
Rich Keagy

Dannyl:
I agree with you whole-heartedly. I've thought of purchasing a first-aid kit, but not one of those things for routine injuries suffered in the home.
I'm sure you're thinking about combat-level first aid kits.
In short, I think we should all have one of these in our range bags or car.
Thanks for the reminder.
Old January 14, 2010, 08:11 AM   #3
Dannyl

Hi Rich,
Precisely, I am not referring to band-aids and headache tablets, I am talking about a set of trauma bandages.
Brgds,
Danny
Old January 14, 2010, 08:12 AM   #4
The Great Mahoo

Yep, its part of being prepared. I have 3 first aid kits ready to go; 1 in my vehicle, 1 in my home, and a third I can take with me should I feel the need. I also have a small, light-weight kit I take along while hiking and the like, though I've been meaning to find a better case for it and redo the contents.

I am of the belief that everyone, especially those who carry a firearm, should be trained in some form of aid. It never hurts to be prepared, and it doesn't take much to learn. A few hours spent can go a long way in the event of any type of incident or accident.

I'm certified in First Aid and Basic Life Support, and have plans to upgrade to my ACLS whenever my time and their class schedules allow.
Old January 14, 2010, 08:51 AM   #5
smince

I think anyone who CCW's should learn how to handle gunshot and knife wounds.
Old January 14, 2010, 09:00 AM   #6
KenpoTex

Quote:
I think anyone who CCW's should learn how to handle gunshot and knife wounds.
I absolutely agree...

I have both a first-aid kit (for "boo-boo" type injuries) and a trauma-kit (for life threatening stuff like critical blood-loss, etc.) in my car, my work bag, my range bag, and my house.

This is a good trauma kit. There is an instructional dvd for it as well.

Matt K.
Old January 14, 2010, 09:16 AM   #7
45Gunner

This is an excellent point brought to the forefront. We have all the "normal" stuff at the house. We had never planned for things such as gunshot wounds as we are very close to several major medical centers. And of all people, I should really have that type of first aid kit in the house as I was shot a bunch of years ago in my own house. I was living alone at the time and was able to call 911.

The oddity here is that my wife and I have a motorhome we use for extended vacations. We have planned for most all contingencies and have a major first aid kit in it. And, we also have one for the dog.

Because of this thread, I think we will make it a point to procure a kit this weekend and one for the dog. How many times have we heard of a home invasion where the dog gets shot? Happened somewhere locally this past week as reported by the local TV news.
NRA Life Member
Old January 14, 2010, 09:34 AM   #8
peejman

I have three, one in both cars and one in my hiking pack. I should probably get another one for my range bag. However, I've never considered having to treat an injury like a GSW. I'll have to review what's in each of them and update appropriately.

Good thread!
Old January 14, 2010, 10:18 AM   #9
Dwight55

All of the necessary ingredients are in our medicine cabinet for in house use, . . . plus there is one we transfer back and forth in our travel vehicles.

Good point, though. And yes, . . . soldiers do carry a trauma bandage on their web gear. When I was in the service, . . . normally everyone carried it on their suspenders, . . . knife, compass, and first aid pouch were actually attached to the front part of the suspenders themselves, . . . or to the flak jacket, as appropriate.

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old January 14, 2010, 10:22 AM   #10
Dannyl

Hi Dwight,
That is what I meant, I just used the term "webbing" instead of Suspenders.
The point is that sometimes the most basic items can make a huge difference.
Brgds,
Danny
Old January 14, 2010, 10:27 AM   #11
doh_312

I have a small kit with some basic bandages and what not that I have in my car always, as well as a fire extinguisher.

If I'm going on a trip away from rapid 911 response, like a rural area, I carry a large kit that somewhat mirrors the one I use at work. It is basically an ambulance jump kit, minus/plus a few things. Of course I have training to handle all of it.
Old January 14, 2010, 11:08 AM   #12
Water-Man

I do, including Quik Clot.
Old January 14, 2010, 02:48 PM   #13
troy_mclure

i have 2 "kits" and lots of stuff in my house.

kit 1, back pack/hiking. it is verry small, 2 pk quick clot, 2 pressure dressing, 1 cravat, pack of butterfly bandages, medical tape, 10 percocet.

kit 2, truck. used to be complete medic aid bag, including IV's. but it was stolen, so i just have a basic first aid kit, and 2 packs of quick clot.

home, i just have tons of stuff.

im a big fan of quick clot, used if a few times in iraq, verry effective.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old January 14, 2010, 05:26 PM   #14
pacerdude

I have a fairly decent first aid kit in the trunk of my car, just in case. However, it was not put their with any attention towards my future owning/using of guns, it just seemed like a good idea.
Old January 14, 2010, 06:32 PM   #15
smince

You can purchase Ventilated Operator Kit/Blow Out Kits (VOK/BOK) from several sources that will fit a back pocket or BDU pocket:

http://www.onesourcetactical.com/ind...S&Category=101

http://www.tacticalresponsegear.com/...oducts_id=2417
Old January 14, 2010, 07:04 PM   #16
Dresden2001

I have first aid kits in both the cars, in my home and I have a backpacking first aid kit that I keep in my hunting bag. All are equipped with quick clotting agents, 4x4's and a decent supply of tape.
Old January 14, 2010, 08:01 PM   #17
donotsendmeemail

First Aid Kits

I watched once as an 8 dollar bullet bandage I picked up in a surpluse store drove away in an ambulance on the broken arm of a car accident victim. After that I only purchase maxi-pads and tape. Cheep, easy, double duty, and they fit in anything.
Old January 14, 2010, 09:19 PM   #18
sserdlihc

Yes I do. Assorted bandaids, gause, alcohol,and superglue.
Old January 14, 2010, 10:59 PM   #19
Hard Ball

Yes I do. Its intended primarily to treat combat wounds.
Old January 15, 2010, 07:20 AM   #20
BlueTrain

As a matter of fact, I do (usually) and there's also a sheath knife (which probably violates our weapon policy at work), all carried in a webbing haversack that also contains my lunch, gloves, etc. In addition to a field dressing, which I hope never to need, there are the usual small first aid items that I've carried for years with my hiking and camping gear. It's the same little pouch, about two by four by about six inches. You would tend not to carry anything larger than that everywhere all the time, which you've heard about other things, I suspect.

In something like fifty years of tramping around the woods in all weather, I've only used anything from in once. I have injured myself a couple of times, both from falls, but didn't use anything from the kit. I also understand that falls are the most common form of injury at home, too, and I've hurt myself even more seriously the same way at home, enough to require stitches or doctor's visits. I still carry it but the little kit doesn't seem so important after all that. Useful but not important.
Buy War Bonds.
Old January 15, 2010, 09:53 AM   #21
highcaliberprovider

I keep several around. You make a very valid point; if you're going to carry a firearm then a first aid kit is just as, if not more, important than a spare mag. I think that here is a good place to note that if you are traipsing around the woods or brush constantly then a survival pack is also a necessity. If you are alone and injured there is no guarantee that you will be able to make it out under your own power. You may be able to bandage a wound, but, are you able to survive long enough to make that first aid worthwhile? Safety is the key point.
Old January 15, 2010, 02:22 PM   #22
semi_problomatic

The Army now has a larger pouch devoted to it, not one just big enough for a cavat and one bandage, which includes Israeli bandage, a one handed turniquet, nasal tube, tape, gloves, and whatever else you can throw in there. They've got tons of crap packed into a box like 6 in across and 3 in deep. I have a couple so I keep one in the car. The older style (green box) vehicle aid kits are getting replaced by the big trauma bags so I got a couple of those too. Also I managed to pick up some extra Israeli bandages. These things are great because its like a cross between an ace bandage and a trauma pad. Its got an L-shaped D-ring on top that puts additional pressure directly on the wound and you can apply them yourself. Don't mess with IV's much because if you don't stop the bleeding it'll just make em bleed out faster. Also have had great success with tampons. They're made to go into a bloody hole and a gunshot wound is a bloody hole...

Also keep one of those walmart vehicle emergency kits in my car that has a small first aid kit in it.
Old January 16, 2010, 12:08 AM   #23
qcpunk

I have a few first aid kits available to me at ready access. First is my lightweight "comprehensive" kit with quik clot for backpacking, second is my home first aid kit which is decent but not comprehensive. And lastly I have a Comprehensive kit in my vehicle, again with quik clot (sponge and quik clot gause, sutures, anitbiotics, Epi pens). I am very active in the desert around here, and have been steadily building my medipack to treat about anything I could think of if I were to get stranded way out there. I can manage most gun shot wounds, large lacerations, hypothermia, heat stroke, etc.... most typical things for desert environment. I'm not the guy to FIX you, but I could at least keep you stable until professional help is available.

Smince, big Thumbs up on your philosophy "I think anyone who CCW's should learn how to handle gunshot and knife wounds"

Water-Man, YAY Quik Clot! haha
Old January 16, 2010, 12:24 AM   #24
FM12

Two things in my kit: A box of whiskey for snake bite and a box of snakes!!
Old January 16, 2010, 08:04 AM   #25
N.H. Yankee

Sure do, mine is a kit used by the Air Force that is pretty complete. One never knows what the next minute may deliver, and preparation can equal survival. I also have quick response sheets for CPR, wounds, heart attack stroke, burns etc so someone can at least attempt immediate aid until the paramedics arrive which where I live is a volunteer ambulance, count on 45 minutes minimum.