The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old October 19, 2012, 06:57 AM   #1
BLUETIP

SMILIES

I am by far not a computer guru, so please bear with me. When i try to put a face next to a comment all i get is a :d or something like it. It says smilies are on.
Old October 19, 2012, 07:13 AM   #2
Mike Irwin
Staff

"all i get is a :d"

That's exactly what you should see.

The forum software then translates those keyboard characters into the graphical representations you see in the pane to the right of the "reply to thread" window.

Once you get familiar with the keyboard strings needed to create each smilie, you can simply type in the characters rather than click the smilie face that you want.

One way to make sure that you're actually getting the smilie you want is to click the "preview post" button to the right of submit reply.

That will apply all the formatting and translate the keyboard characters to graphics.

Just remember to hit "submit reply" when you are ready to post your message.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old October 19, 2012, 07:16 AM   #3
Mike Irwin
Staff

Wait a second...

I just looked at your threads... The :d is showing up in a couple of them. I thought you were just being representative...

Which smilie are you clicking? :d is not a predefined smilie character, and I'm not able to figure out which one is generating it.

Old October 19, 2012, 07:27 AM   #4
BLUETIP

Im using the ones on the right of this screen. Green head with big grin comes up :d I SHOULD SAY THE POSTING SCREEN AS YOU TYPE
Old October 19, 2012, 07:39 AM   #5
Mike Irwin
Staff

That is REALLY weird, because I get this when I hit it:

Old October 19, 2012, 07:41 AM   #6
Mike Irwin
Staff

For some reason, your system isn't recognizing that the : d should be a : D, and I have no clue why that would be.

But, it has to be on your end, because if it was TFL and not working for you, it would be borked for everyone...

You can get around it by typing in the characters directly for now...

: ) (no space between the two) is

: D is

: p is

Is it doing it with any of the others?

Old October 19, 2012, 07:51 AM   #7
BLUETIP

I haven't tried any of the others :d i just typed it in manually and as you can see it just doesn't work. Oh well i'll mess around with it thanks for your time.
Old October 19, 2012, 07:53 AM   #8
BLUETIP

Must just be some of them not working. Thanks again
Old October 19, 2012, 08:01 AM   #9
BLUETIP

Must use punctuation at the end of a sentence in order to keep the d large case.
Old October 19, 2012, 08:24 AM   #10
Mike Irwin
Staff

"Must use punctuation at the end of a sentence in order to keep the d large case."

That is DEFINITELY a system setting on your computer...

Are you by chance using a smart phone or a tablet?

That would explain a lot if you are. The "I'm going to be helpful and change your entry to what I think it should be" setting is a bit of a pain at times.

Old October 19, 2012, 08:54 AM   #11
BLUETIP

No just a plain ole desk top.
Old October 19, 2012, 09:05 AM   #12
Mal H
Staff

As Mike said, apparently your browser (which one is it?) thinks it's smarter than you and changes upper case letters, other than the first one in a sentence, to lower case. There has to be a tool setting you're not aware of that is doing that.
Old October 19, 2012, 09:36 AM   #13
BLUETIP

Yes you are correct however it will take me some time because i am a hunt & peck none computer usin' pipe fitter that just loves guns.
Old October 19, 2012, 10:08 AM   #14
Mal H
Staff

... and the browser name is ...... ?

Someone might be able to help find the sneaky little parameter if we knew where to look.
Old October 19, 2012, 09:07 PM   #15
BLUETIP

Sorry, i got tied up with some work calls then had to take the wife to her hair appointment, then get ready for company coming over for a bbq & bonfire. Again i am no computer guy, by browser do you mean mozilla firefox?
Old October 20, 2012, 12:36 AM   #16
Mal H
Staff

Quote:
... by browser do you mean mozilla firefox?
Yes, but unless you have an add-on to Firefox, I don't think there is a setting that would change a :D to a :d automatically. So I guess it will just remain a puzzle for now unless someone else has any ideas.
Old October 20, 2012, 07:01 AM   #17
BLUETIP

Thanks any way.
Old October 20, 2012, 09:15 AM   #18
Mal H
Staff

Out of curiosity, how did you get the smilie code to work properly when you created the test post in the Software Testing forum? Did you type it in, or did you select the smilie from the image menu at the right?
Old October 20, 2012, 09:07 PM   #19
BLUETIP

I can do either, then if its a large case letter i have to hit post preview, because my computer will have switched it to lower case, when i change it back to upper case it stays there. Goofy isnt it. But it works.lol thanks for your interest.
Chadd kable
Old October 22, 2012, 07:12 PM   #20
tyme
Staff

You must have some extra software or settings making that happen. Normal Windows and normal Firefox does not auto-correct web posts.

Try https://www.google.com/chrome and see if that has the same problem. You might have a Firefox extension or plugin that's screwing with your posts.
“Who are you?” “A friend. I'm here to prevent you from making a mistake.” “You have no idea what I'm doing here, friend.” “In specific terms, no, but I swore an oath to protect the world...” (continuum)
“It's a goal you won't understand until later. Your job is to make sure he doesn't achieve the goal.” (bsg)