The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 27, 2011, 09:47 PM   #1
dthome123

***Economical Brass Cleaning******

Hello everyone! I am new to this thread and thought I would share some great news in hopes that I could save someone a few bucks. I was in search of a method to clean my brass when I stumbled upon, not only a great buy, yet a breakthrough in regards to a cheap method to clean brass. My son and I went to the range and shot some really cheap and dirty (walmart winchester brand) 38 special ammo. I had just purchased a bunch of brass from Crown Bullets Mfg (who I am really pleased with) yet wanted to start experimenting with cleaning my brass using an ultrasonic cleaner. I went to Harbor Freight today and bought their $20 jewlrey ultrasonic cleaner and could not be more pleased. Here's the link http://www.harborfreight.com/ultraso...aner-3305.html. Here is the kicker! Using 2 tablespoons of limme brite...here is that link too on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Shine-Dishwate.../dp/B0047528HM. I produced an awesome result. This beats the cost of the Big Boy type ultrasonic cleaners "Hands Down". $24 Ultrasonic Cleaner + $9 Cleaner = Shiny clean brass and a happy reloader. Oh...and the best part....this ultrasonic unit has a three minute timer on it and I only had to run three cycles to get a clean and crisp casing and primer pocket. Hope this helps!! DAN
Old February 27, 2011, 11:07 PM   #2
Wag

Hmmmmmm. Got any before and after pics?

--Wag--
Old February 27, 2011, 11:10 PM   #3
Miata Mike

Got any pictures? I am happy with my walnut media, but am open to new ideas. I could not be happier than the brass I got from a fellow member here that uses stainless steel media. Spooky clean!
Old February 28, 2011, 09:30 AM   #4
rdmallory

Wonder if it would leave the varnish intact on 5.7x28...
Old February 28, 2011, 10:06 AM   #5
Incognito

Two Questions...

Does it get them clean in three minutes? How many cases can it process at once?
Old February 28, 2011, 10:17 AM   #6
sc928porsche

Stick them in a heavy sock, tie a good knot at the top, and toss them in with a load of laundry!
Old March 1, 2011, 02:56 PM   #7
Uncle Buck

Quote:
Stick them in a heavy sock, tie a good knot at the top, and toss them in with a load of laundry!

My wife is just not that accommodating. She told me if I get caught using the washer again, she'll tie my old butt out for the buzzards.

I would also be interested in more info on the ultra-sonic cleaners. The ones I priced were much higher than $25.00.

Is there anything other than the cleaner you mentioned that could be used? How long will the cleaning fluid last between changes?

Maybe when my old vibratory cleaner finally gives up the ghost, I will be able to talk the resident banker into allowing her wonderful husband to purchase one.
Old March 1, 2011, 04:53 PM   #8
engineermike

Oh, Uncle Buck: "You Stallion You".

Let us know if you get the cash.
Old March 1, 2011, 07:44 PM   #9
jwilson48

also for those who still use tumblers, i saw midsouth shooters now has smart reloader nano tumblers for 23.** i have the next size up and really like mine. no problems and i've had it for about a year.
Old March 2, 2011, 12:03 AM   #10
Wag

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc928porsche
Yes, John Wayne Bobbit.

--Wag--
Old March 4, 2011, 03:51 AM   #11
cjadam2

ultrasonic cleaner

I use the small ultrasonic cleaner from Harbor Freight. I clean about 60-70 cases of .45 at once. Three cycles of 3 minutes. I have used 50/50 vinegar and water. Works good, but not as good as Resolve Carpet Cleaner 25/75 with water. After cleaning, I pour the cases in a small laundry-type bag, dip in clean water or dip in acetone for faster drying, and hang the bag to dry. It works fast and cleans pockets.. SHINES brass fast.
Old March 4, 2011, 10:22 AM   #12
serf 'rett

Cut your cost a little more

My local Walmart carries Lemishine - cheaper than Amazon and no shipping.
Old March 4, 2011, 10:39 AM   #13
capreppy

Anyone used one of these to clean their pistols?

Also, I understand this is going to clean the brass, but not polish them. If you want like new polished brass, tumbling in corn cob after cleaning with this would be pretty quick correct? You've already completed the cleaning, just need to polish. How long in corn cob?
Old March 4, 2011, 10:54 AM   #14
Uncle Buck

I bought an old black powder revolver and it had been neglected. I washed it is hot soapy water, dried it and then put the pieces in my vibratory tumbler with rice and corn con media, a little polish and let it go for a few hours.

Turned out nicely, but I wonder if I had had an ultra-sonic cleaner if it would have come out better.
Old March 5, 2011, 03:11 AM   #15
chris in va

Gotta be careful with those ultrasonic cleaners and metal parts. It works by forming tiny, very hot and brief bubbles on the surface, so it *may* take finishes off.
Old March 5, 2011, 10:21 AM   #16
Ike666

I've got the large size ultrasonic cleaner from Harbor Freight. I originally bought it to clean 5.7 brass so the surface varnish would not be removed as happens with tumbling.

Not impressed at all. After running it through several cycles in a Simple Green solution I can't tell any difference at all in the brass. None. Expect is was wet and sticky until thoroughly rinsed.

Tried it again yesterday on some .308 brass. Same deal. Ran it several cycles in a solution of Dawn dish washing soap. Can't tell any difference after the cleaning cycles.

I can tumble and clean the primer pockets quicker than I can run five 8-minute cycles on the ultrasonic cleaner.

I may be doing something wrong, but it seems plug simple. I do stack the brass two layers high. I'm open to suggestions - but so far economical this is not.