The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 30, 2008, 10:38 AM   #1
jackwillis

first reloads worked!!!!

Just a note to say that I fired my first 75 rounds of .204 at the range yesterday. Needless to say, that first round was a moment of anxiety and breath holding. I tried to use a full face shield but cowboyed up and put my bare face right against the stock. I looked down range one last time and then closed my eyes for what I hope would be unneeded extra protection behind my safety glasses. The image of my face in the mirror that morning ran ran through my mind, just in case it was going to be hamburgered in the next few seconds. My finger found its way to the trigger, my little voice yelling "NO!!!". My mind said, "Yes, you have checked and double checked and are using the starting loads of powder". Then.............my finger squeezed back on the trigger....KABOOMMMMMM.......sweet....the bullet proceeded to fly downrange and nick the bullseye on the target at 100 yds!
I had crossed over to being a reloader. One with trust in his ammo and the reloading process. The other 74 rounds were fired with great confidence and pleasure. Of course, I pulled every bullet out and re-weighted the powder before I shot them....just kidding. I thought that reloading was fun and addicting before I shot that first round...not it is even more so. Thanks to the forum for all of the help and knowledge it holds within.
Old March 30, 2008, 10:52 AM   #2
firechicken

Welcome to the addiction!! Remember that feeling you had when pulling the trigger on that first round.....you'll never get that feeling again. You'll get a sense of it when shooting your first loads for a new caliber, or perhaps when trying a new powder, but never like it was for the first round. Congrats on your first loads!!
Old March 30, 2008, 11:08 AM   #3
Robert M Boren Sr

Ain't nothing like it is there? And it's always that way. Every time you try a new load or different bullet, you get the same rush. Just stay to the books and you'll be fine. Congrats and welcome to a lifetime hobby of clean fun.
Old March 30, 2008, 12:48 PM   #4
saber9

Welcome to the club! You are hooked, like the rest of us are. Loading your own ammo makes for a whole new dimension to shooting. Many people say they buy factory ammo to acquire their brass for reloading. Not me. I buy new or once fired brass and reload from the start. I am on my second .44 magnum and have never bought a single factory round for them or fired any factory ammo in them.
Old March 30, 2008, 03:25 PM   #5
Zombie Steve

Congrats!

I'm still relatively new to reloading, and I had that same feeling with my .308!

I hope I never become too comfortable, same as the motorcycle...
Old March 30, 2008, 04:59 PM   #6
BoilerUP

Congrats...I know that feeling, I threw my first reloads down range today as well.

Mine didn't quite hit the bullseye like yours did, but I was getting sub-1" groups so I can adjust the scope a few clicks to compensate
Old March 30, 2008, 08:33 PM   #7
BIGR

Congrats..Those first rounds are exciting. Now go reload and have fun. Just always remember when loading you must give it your undivided attention and try not to have any distractions. You will do just fine.
Old March 30, 2008, 08:43 PM   #8
Namerifrats

I'll always remember my first round. It was a 500 S&W. I read several books before even mounting my press to my bench. Kept seeing all these pictures of blow cases, barrels, etc. I was pretty nervous, loaded my first 3 rounds for testing. Actually loaded all of them 2/10 of a grain UNDER the minimum just to be safe. I remember putting my ear muffs on, the thickest safety glasses I had as well as leather gloves. lol (overkill I know) I aimed the gun downrange (was by myself that day), cocked the hammer back, turned my head to the side and dropped the hammer. I was really excited that it actually worked and didn't blow my gun up or my hand off.....lol Have shot many since
Old March 30, 2008, 08:48 PM   #9
crowbeaner

Oh, well, another one ruined. Now you'll be reading reloading manuals on the throne and scrounging brass. You'll catch yourself looking for deals on powder and primers. You'll haunt gunshows for used but not abused equipment from the best manufacturers. Your S.O. will want to know what all that "junk" is in the garage and on the bench. You'll start toying with the ideas of casting and swaging your own bullets. You will forever be looking for the ultimate in precision; not just anything from now on. DO YOU SEE WHAT YOU"VE DONE TO THIS GUY? May your affliction of The Grand Obsession be pleasant and rewarding. Buy many things and stimulate the flagging economy. CB.
Old March 30, 2008, 09:16 PM   #10
TexasSeaRay

Jack . . .

Crowbeaner,

Are we related? (grin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwillis
I had crossed over to being a reloader. One with trust in his ammo and the reloading process.
No feeling like it.

I have a guy I'm teaching to reload and the other night, we completed our first .270 loads. We did five different configurations using two different powders. As excited as he was when he seated the bullet on his very first ever handloaded cartridge, I told him that was just the beginning.

I like the satisfaction of setting up my stuff at a range and pulling out my reloads. I like the sometimes quizzical look I get from other shooters. I always enjoy the "knowing" look I get from other shooters who recognize the plastic ammo boxes for what they are--but their face tells you that they don't handload.

I especially enjoy reeling/retrieving my targets and seeing the decent groups that I have worked like hell to achieve in years of handloading--and then looking over to the other lanes and seeing lesser groups being made with factory ammo.

But most of all, I enjoy being at a range and having my reloads out and seeing a fellow reloader setting up with his reloads.

I've always said that reloading/handloading makes you a better shooter and that it gets you into the spirit and lore of the gun more than plopping down twenty bucks for a box of 45's.

In shooting, I enjoy hunting, occasionally enjoy shotgunning for clay targets, etc. But nothing is more gratifying than taking game with a round that *I* handloaded, tested, tinkered with and adjusted the charge, etc, until it met *my* specifications so that I could take it on a hunt.

Likewise, it is extremely gratifying to have friendly bullseye matches with friends and acquaintances--some of who also reload--and compare loads and data under the envious eyes of those in our group who don't reload. I'm happy to say that number is shrinking.

Handloading is where science meets art. Where the spirit of the gun interfaces with the soul of the shooter, and where utmost confidence in your work is the ultimate prize.

Congrats.

Jeff

So to those of you who are members of neither, thanks for nothing.
Old March 30, 2008, 09:51 PM   #11
mrawesome22

Quote:
Now you'll be reading reloading manuals on the throne
You two huh? LOL

Well put TSR.
Old April 1, 2008, 07:02 AM   #12
qajaq59

Oh you have just started to have joy. Just wait till you knock down your first deer or hog with your own reloads. Then you'll really be hooked.
Old April 1, 2008, 10:59 AM   #13
ryalred

Isn't reloading great!

You've opened up a whole new world of the shooting sport.

Good luck on future endeavors in the reloading world.

Ryalred
Old April 2, 2008, 06:19 PM   #14
jhansman

Well, now you've done it. If you have a significant other (or a ball & chain), like as not she has seen the last of you for a while. My darling wife calls my reloading room "the dungeon." Problem for me is, when I'm at the shooting bench, I think too much about the reloading bench, and vice versa. Still, nothing finer than to see a load you worked up pierce that bull. Happy reloading!

Last edited by jhansman; April 3, 2008 at 10:32 AM.
Old April 2, 2008, 09:37 PM   #15
CrustyFN

Congratulations and welcome to reloading.
Rusty
Old April 2, 2008, 10:55 PM   #16
Wildalaska

Another one joins up...wonder if he will start a love affair with his own reloads

WildpicsAlaska TM