The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old September 14, 2007, 03:07 AM   #1
Bigoledude

What scope mounts are strongest

About 15 years ago I called over at Leupold to ask about the "Quick Release" mounts. While the young man on the line began to explain the workings of the mounts, he asked me to hold-on. The engineer who had overseen the development of the mounts had just walked in, and that I should feel privileged to talk to him.

This engineer explained how management had called them in and demanded development of mounts that could be removed and reattached with a minimum of a moving zero. He politely went on about how all of their efforts were rejected for over a year until the present design emerged. He told me that the "Quick Release" mounts are actually stronger than any of their other mounts and, just about every other brand of mounts out there. I brought up the brand name of some of the most popular mounts and he chuckled. He would not answer with a negative remark concerning any specific mounts. He would only say that his mounts were the toughest.

I had these mounts with Vari X III's on several rifles. All of my rifles were pretty-much babied. I really went out of my way to treat them very gingerly. I can't really say I put them through any real torture tests. I shot them a lot so, I know recoil has no effect on them. Katrina took all those rifles away. I'm gonna buy a couple of new rifles here soon. (Much less expensive guns this time around)

Leupold now carries a few removable mounts and rings. Does anyone have any experience with these mounts? How strong are they?
Old September 14, 2007, 06:01 AM   #2
Martyn4802

I have a set of those mounts for one rifle I have.
They work well; no complaints.
I personally like the QD concept as I can carry the rifle in a slim soft case, and the scope in a separate padded case.
Makes stowing rifles easier in the car.
The rings, when tightened with the lever, sure are tight.

Martyn
Old September 15, 2007, 08:35 AM   #3
Mach II Sailor

http://www.gggaz.com/index.php?id=149&parents=38,55

i have two of the one on the right, and this one

http://www.gggaz.com/index.php?id=56&parents=69,71

and this one,

http://www.gggaz.com/index.php?id=68&parents=69,105