The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 10, 1999, 03:56 PM   #1
brass shower

I am considering buying a used Remington 11-87 for a nice price. I will be using it primarily for skeet, but I want to be able to use it for hunting and defense as well. Will 3-dram, 1 oz general pupose loads cycle the action reliably? If I get a 18 or 20 inch barrel will reliability be affected?
Old May 10, 1999, 06:27 PM   #2
NJW

I have an 11-87 Police (with the 20" barrel?) and frequently shoot my reloads in it that are 1 0z. 3 Dr equivilents. They feed and function fine, the hulls still landing a few feet away.
I don't think you should have a problem, especially with a regular 11-87. that is one of the reasons they designed the 11-87, so it could work with lite 2 3/4 loads and 3" mags.

NJW in AZ
Old May 10, 1999, 09:29 PM   #3
brass shower

Thanks NJW, BTW, can someone explain to me what the pressure-compensating gas system is? A catalog that sells remington barrels says that barrels shorter than 26" are not equipped with it, and I would like to replace that long 28" with a 20" barrel.
Old May 11, 1999, 09:31 AM   #4
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

Hi Brass, I have two friends with 11-87s. One traded his in as the gun would not work with the promotional low brass dove loads. The other has a "skeet" 11-87 that works just fine. I think that if I were in your shoes, I would check with Remington and see if they will warrant the gun for the low brass shells. There may be a setting that you (or they) can adjust if yours dosen't work. Giz

------------------
Old May 11, 1999, 11:23 AM   #5
Shotgun

Brass Shower, the only settings that I am aware of on the 11-87 is the size of the gas relief holes in the barrel, which should not be tampered with. The skeet version has different size holes to function with lower powered loads such as in skeet and Trap. Some hunting loads are more powerful, therefore the gas relief holes are a different size.
Old May 11, 1999, 09:51 PM   #6
NJW

Shotgun, That is why I specifically mentioned my 11-87 was a Police model. It is set up to shoot buck and slugs but it still eats the lite stuff. I actually though it was not working properly because I expected it to NOT work and when It did I figured it was not working properly.
I asked one of the guy at Vang Comp if it was normal and he said yes so I stopped worring about it.
I have to add that I don't have any experience with any other 11-87's. I was just relating mine.

Brass Shower,
The 11-87 used gas to unlock the bolt and then the residual recoil cycles the action. They have the gun set up so it unlocks the bolt with a minium anmout of gas and the rest bleeds off. If there is more gas (higher pressure loads)it still only takes what it needs and bleeds off more. It is alot more technical than that but that is the basic idea behind the pressure compensating gass system is.

NJW in AZ