The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old July 4, 2011, 07:46 PM   #1
Wagonman

First IDPA match

I shot my first match yesterday, it was a blast... No pun intended. I got a DNF because I had to work....thought it would be over by noon. Had over 80 shooters. Everyone was friendly and helpful. Got a couple of procedural demerits... Gamemanship stuff.... Wrong order of targets and "airgunning". Can't wait for next month... Gonna bring all the shooters I work with.
Old July 5, 2011, 01:56 AM   #2
sigcurious

Awesome that you had fun! I've been curious about the local IDPA/USPSA events. How far out from the city was the event? Perhaps I'll see you at one after my CFP comes in
Old July 5, 2011, 05:15 AM   #3
MrBorland

Congrats, and glad you had a good time.

You got a procedural for airgunning? Yeah, it's not legal, but to give a 1st timer a procedural for it seems rough. It's been my experience that when new shooters airgun, they're simply told it's not allowed, and nothing more is said.

A procedural for engaging targets out of order, though...well, that sort of thing happens to us all once in a while
Old July 5, 2011, 01:49 PM   #4
Wagonman

It wasn't an official procedural... More of if this was a official match that would be wrong.... Very friendly people..... Might have found a new addiction.

It was in Plainfield.... Just off 55
Old July 6, 2011, 02:05 PM   #5
Don P

If you like to air gun shoot USPSA. They allow all the air gunning one can stand. Otherwise obey the rules so you don't get a DQ and as we say you WILL learn the rule book 3+ seconds at a time
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old July 6, 2011, 03:42 PM   #6
Wagonman

I'm going to shoot everything that is near Chicago that my schedule allows. don't care about scores... just hits and safety
Old July 8, 2011, 04:56 PM   #7
Gryff

Welcome to the sport! Kiss all of your spare cash goodbye as you will now be on a never ending search for ammo (or reloading components), but it is a seriously fun sport.
Old July 11, 2011, 01:49 PM   #8
hulley

What is air gunning?
Old July 11, 2011, 02:36 PM   #9
RickB

To airgun is to do a pantomime dance as if you are shooting, while holding your empty hands in front of you. IDPA does not allow "personal walkthroughs", rehearsing the stage to a greater extent than allowed by the official walkthrough conducted at the start of each stage, and airgunning is considered a form of personal walkthrough.
Old July 11, 2011, 03:38 PM   #10
hulley

Gotcha, thanks Rick.
Old July 11, 2011, 10:51 PM   #11
FlashBack

Shot my first match and then my first ever qualification match soon after that last month...also had a blast! I was 3.88 away from hitting the Marksman status so I have some work to do!
Our next outing is in a couple of weeks!
Gene
Old July 23, 2011, 07:41 AM   #12
Jeff22

IDPA

The IDPA classifier match is a greatcourse of fire to test basic skills.

I make an effort to shoot in all the IDPA classifiers and USPSA classifier matches that I can find. Regular monthly matches I make when I can, but I really like shooting classifiers because they are standard courses of fire that you can use to determine what skills you need to practice to become a better shooter.

I'm usually really smooth and accurate and not particularly fast, although my speed is increasing over time.