The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 25, 2000, 08:25 AM   #1
mooser

to put a postban muzzlebrake on a preban ar15
barrel, could one use a hightemp epoxy or equivelent. or should one blind pin, or silver solder.

i found a product at walmart in the auto section that comes in a small jar.
it is called thermosteel, made by cargo corp.
the package doesn't saw what it exactly is, but states that it coldwelds up to 2400f or 1316c. you put it on metal, let it cure for about 4hours, then bake it at 200f for 15min.
it also says that the hotter the product gets the stronger it gets.would this product do the job legally. without having to silver solder, one would not have to refinish the barrel, is what my thoughts are. blind pinning is no problem, but if you could use this on the threads, it would simplify the process.
Old March 25, 2000, 08:56 AM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Mooser, I believe that in order to meet BATF requirements you would have to use silver solder. George
Old March 25, 2000, 09:18 PM   #3
Kernel

Location: Madison, WI.... "78 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Nope, no kinda epoxy will do it. I asked the very same question 6 months ago. It's gotta be pinned or soldered. And the solder has to have a 2100F (or maybe it was 2300F) melting point. That means the only practical way to attach the break is by pinning. Heating to 2100F will ruin the finish and probably warp the barrel - destroying accuracy. Pinning is not that hard for the home hobbyist and it's easily reversible (should the law ever change or if you wanted to try a different break). -- Kernel