The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old October 11, 2012, 08:56 AM   #26
Bob Wright

Ruger collectable revolvers include the early "flat gate" Single Sixes, factory engraved Single Sixes, and the two-tone lightweight Single Sixes. All the three-screw model Blackhawks, especially the earliest Flat Tops, and the Long Frame Super Blackhawks, which had grip frames about 1/8" longer than later production models.

Even empty Ruger boxes are being sold at premium prices.

Bob Wright
Old October 11, 2012, 09:25 AM   #27
rodfac

Hmmmm....I've "collected" all of my guns over the preceding 50+ years, but I shoot 'em all, with one exception, that being a 1931 documented National Match 1903 Springfield....and even that has been fired once.

Rugers are wonderful guns, well designed for the work or play that they do, and my experience with their single actions has been excellent...they all shot well. All, absolutely all (over a baker's dozen with some I've probably forgotten in the count) would keep six shots under two inches in group size at 25 yds. Currently, I've been accumulating the flat tops, both the early ones and the most recent models...love 'em all and carry them as well. Collect? Yes, emphatically, but I shoot 'em as they were designed to do!

Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old October 11, 2012, 10:22 AM   #28
tulsamal

Quote:
well i wouldn't consider my self a ruger collector until i get my paws on a 357 redhawk.
I've had a chance to buy one several times over the years and I've considered it. They certainly are rare guns. And if you want to have a .357 that you can try super hot loads in... that would be the one. But every time I have a chance to buy one, I ultimately conclude that I'm unlikely to actually do anything much with it other than just put it in the safe. The smaller holes make it a heavy gun. So I probably wouldn't put it in a holster and carry it around the property. And my interest in hot loading .357 at my age is pretty much zero.

I agree it has good value as a straight collector piece. If one came along NIB for a gift price, I would pick it up and put it away.

On the other hand.... I looked long and hard for a 5.5" stainless .41 Magnum Redhawk. I knew I _would_ carry and shoot that. I love that gun. In general I prefer OM Rugers but that Redhawk is a great gun. And actually a nice looking one once I put some Nill grips on it. I even bought a stainless rail that you can mount on it without drilling so that you can put a pistol scope on it. Not to carry it around that way, that would be ugly. But I was curious about just how accurate it really was and wanted to use it for load development. (The rail is still in the tube but I did buy it!)

Gregg
Old October 11, 2012, 10:26 AM   #29
tulsamal

Yes Bob, those are some nice looking CH OM's. I've got a couple I would put up against them. But the only photos I have of them are the ones from when I bought them. I don't like posting photos somebody else took. I need to drag the revolvers out and take some of them myself.

Actually, I've been telling myself for some time that it is time to drag all the guns out for a new family photo. Every few years it is fun to take one photo with every single gun in one shot. No matter how hard that is to do. And inevitably when I'm done I remember one gun in a closet somewhere that got forgotten. It's been years since I did that. I need to do that and I need to do a "revolver only" shot again since I've added more since I did one last year. Maybe I'll do a "Ruger only" shot while I'm at it!

Gregg
Old October 11, 2012, 11:19 AM   #30
Bob Wright

Tulsamal, I'd look forward to seeing that.

Bob

wright
Old October 11, 2012, 11:23 AM   #31
mavracer

I have collected 10 SA and 6 DA ruger revolvers, but I shoot all of them so I'm not sure that counts.
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."
Old October 11, 2012, 01:46 PM   #32
Bob Wright

John T. Amber, originator and editor of The Gun Digest was probably the foremost collector of single shot cartridge rifles of the Creedmoor target type.
So far as I know, he shot every one of his pets.

Bob Wright
Old October 11, 2012, 03:08 PM   #33
Sevens

Quote:
In 2010, someone bought a former Ruger employee's collection. All serial numbers ended in 0038. The ad explains the mixup that led to Bill Ruger giving the man the claim on number 38 - because Mr. Ruger claimed all the numbers from 1 to 40 for himself.

http://www.icollector.com/An-Impress...and-S_i9751790

The selling price was $29,500 plus fees, etc. The buyer's premium alone was almost $6k.
Okay -- that is just plain cool. I feel like a schmuck because I hadn't heard of this and it was two years ago.

I appreciate you sharing this tidbit. Very, very cool.
Old October 12, 2012, 08:46 PM   #34
KenW.

My Dad used to have one of Blackhawk model; in several calibers.

At the auction after his passing they were sold. I live on the other side of the country.
Old October 13, 2012, 02:46 AM   #35
TennJed

Quote:
As a matter of note, one rare Ruger item is not a gun, but a hand powered drill. The drill is based on a Standard Model .22 Auto frame, with the crank flat on top, the chuck at the muzzle. Sort of.

Bob Wright
I see those pop up from time to time on ebay. There is one currently with an asking price of $450

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RUGER-CO-HAN...item27ca949481
Old October 13, 2012, 02:50 AM   #36
TennJed

Another intersting thing is Ruger SA fans are willing to put big money into grips and leather. Several custom grip makers and prices range from $80-$300. Stag and Bone grips can get even higher. I would be willing to bet there are more grip makers specializing in Ruger SA then any other gun (outside of the 1911)
Old October 31, 2012, 06:06 AM   #37
silvermane_1

also wouldn't consider my self a ruger collector until i get my paws on the following:

1. .357 redhawk
2. .480 ruger 6 shot super redhawk
3. .357 MAX blackhawk
4. A-Team edition Mini-14
Rugers:SR1911 CMD,MK 3 .22lr 6",Sec. Six '76 liberty .357 4",SRH .480 Ruger 7.5",Mini-14 188 5.56/.233 18.5", Marlins: 795 .22lr 16.5",30aw 30-30 20",Mossberg:Mav. 88 Tact. 12 ga, 18.5",ATR 100 .270 Win. 22",S&W:SW9VE
9mm 4",Springfield:XD .357sig 4", AKs:CAI PSL-54C, WASR 10/63, WW74,SLR-106c
Old October 31, 2012, 12:56 PM   #38
Sevens

You could add the 10mm/.38-40 convertible "Buckeye" Blackhawk and the .41 Mag Super Blackhawk Hunter model as harder to find but still modern Ruger guns.
Old October 31, 2012, 01:11 PM   #39
Elmer

Ruger is still the "new kid" on the block when it comes to the major companies, so collecting them hasn't grown to the popularity of S&W or Colt, but that's changing.

I had a pretty extensive collection of weird ones, which I sold most of a few years ago when I was interested in other stuff.

I regret that now, as some of the guns I had really increased in value in just the last few years.

Story of my life....
Old October 31, 2012, 01:19 PM   #40
Elmer

Quote:
Actually, I've been telling myself for some time that it is time to drag all the guns out for a new family photo. Every few years it is fun to take one photo with every single gun in one shot. No matter how hard that is to do. And inevitably when I'm done I remember one gun in a closet somewhere that got forgotten. It's been years since I did that. I need to do that and I need to do a "revolver only" shot again since I've added more since I did one last year. Maybe I'll do a "Ruger only" shot while I'm at it!

Gregg
Gregg, not sure if you meant pictures with you in them too, but I think it's a great idea. I have my Dad's and Grampa's guns. I'd love to have pictures of them holding them.

I'm going to make sure and do that with the guns I'm leaving to the kids and grandkids.
Old October 31, 2012, 02:27 PM   #41
Nanuk

Must be like collecting Ford LTD's.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old November 18, 2012, 10:39 AM   #42
TGSTGS

A couple of favorites

.44Mag shoots like a dream. One of my favorites.

The Gun is a 4 digit s/n. Not sure of mfg date.The Holster is by Rusty Sherrick

This one is a .357. I don't collect but Ive had these for many years. Be sure the warning about 3 screw is valid, not setting the trigger down on a loaded chamber. I missed my big toe by about an inch. The hammer was not dropped but set down normally and I'm guessing it was a sensitive primer In case your fond of 3 screws as I am heed the warning.

Great Thread
Old November 18, 2012, 11:51 AM   #43
tulsamal

Quote:
In case your fond of 3 screws as I am heed the warning.
I love three screw Rugers myself. Always a good idea to mention the safety issue. Can't assume that everybody who goes out and buys one realizes they have to be handled like an original SAA. No transfer bar means lower the hammer on an empty chamber. Never carry it any other way. Five shots of .44 Special should be enough anyway!

Gregg
Old November 18, 2012, 03:51 PM   #44
TGSTGS

Well its easy to think that if your careful all will be well.

I was target shooting with a fired cases box on the ground between my feet to dump my empties and had loaded the 6th chamber the muzzle was pointed down and into the box and I lowered the hammer as usual. It discharged with only the weight of the hammer. The hole in the corner of the box was an inch to the left of my big toe on my right foot. I had shot about a half dozen full cylinders prior to the accident I mean prior to the careless discharge.

No such thing as an accident when a round goes off unintentionally or lands where it shouldn't its always carelessness.

Heed the warning. I would never alter one but I will never again set down on a live round.

The good thing is I still have ten toes and a good reminder when I put the box down for my empties.
Old November 18, 2012, 04:42 PM   #45
old bear

As fine a handgun as Ruger makes they just don't have the history that Colt, Smith and Wesson, or even High Stander has. My guess is give them 10 - 20 more years and all of us will by crying about the ANIB model ----- we sold for a song. In 1974 I traded off or sold a Speed Six for a song, I really wish I had that one back.
Old November 18, 2012, 05:30 PM   #46
DAnjet500

TGSTGS, I love those old Supers. Kind of unfortunate someone cut the barrel on that one.
Old November 18, 2012, 09:51 PM   #47
TGSTGS

A few more that...

This .44 Special was smithed by Dave Ewer as was the one above, trigger work and refinish, Ported by Magnaport. Quite the working gun.

These two are 2 more done by Dave If you notice the one on a New Model Frame. He does some fine custom work, These are also .44 Specials

I really have a liking to the shorter barrels when on horse back and chasing a stubborn steer out of the brush and they really point well when those pesty Rattlers are asking for some #8 shot and the horse is getting agitated.

No reason not to do a little modifying when you run across the right one, but its gotta be the right one.

Last edited by TGSTGS; November 19, 2012 at 01:22 PM.
Old November 19, 2012, 02:46 AM   #48
Sevens

Quote:
As fine a handgun as Ruger makes they just don't have the history that Colt, Smith and Wesson, or even High Stander has.
Now I see the angle you are trying to work with this statement, but I can't simply let it slide by without comment.

A quick google search reveals that the current OWNER of the High Standard trade name says that they began making pistols in 1932, so I can only assume that you mean Ruger can't match the history simply because Ruger didn't ship it's first firearm until 1949, so High Standard has 17 years of "history" that can be held over Ruger's head.

In the real world, Ruger's easily got mountains of history and many truckloads of firearms to dwarf any imprint High Standard might have ever left on this planet. Not to mention the simple fact that it's not a gun "name" that has changed hands a half-dozen times with a short catalog of precious few distinct items, the main one being an obvious near copy of an established product on the market.

With all due respect to the number of fine handguns that High Standard built in their day and the competitions that have been won with them, to suggest that High Standard has more "history" than does the Sturm, Ruger & Company is somewhere short of (or well beyond) ludicrous.

These are my opinions and some may not agree. But like the small and dedicated following that High Standard firearms has... those who would not agree would be dwarfed and microscopic in comparison to the footprint that Sturm, Ruger & Company and Bill Ruger has put on the world history of firearms and the stamp that the same firm has put on the history of manufacturing in the United States of America. (cue patriotic music here)

To suggest otherwise is comical. In my opinion of course. (and in reality, too. )

I'd love to own a High Standard one day. I really do. I imagine that I will. In the mean time, I'll enjoy my Ruger Mark II with it's heavy barrel, and my circa-1928 Colt Woodsman.
Old November 19, 2012, 12:40 PM   #49
TGSTGS

History vs. Innovation vs ???

"As fine a handgun as Ruger makes they just don't have the history that Colt, Smith and Wesson, or even High Stander has."

Really I think history is no more than a reference to time or a length of time.

When I think about the impact a weapon has made in the industry the innovative impression that has been made really has more significance than length of manufacture. Whether it be Colt, S/W, Browning, Hi-Standard or Ruger, Winchester Remington I would hard tasked to pick one that made a bigger mark on the industry than another. What about Barrett definitely not a "flash in the pan". The list can go on and on. Cooper, or Kimber Springfield etc. and Glock definitely with the striker firing system.

I once read Freedom Arms used Ruger frames initially, don't know if that is still the case.
Who or which has the "greater history" doesn't really ask or answer any question about much of anything, the Kentucky long rifle has quite a history.

Thinking back some of those bamboo cannons the Chinese made about the time gunpowder was invented has quite a lengthy history.
Old November 19, 2012, 12:53 PM   #50
Sevens

Certainly, using the term "history" gives a poster artistic license to use his own definition of the term.

It's my assertion that when you look at the sheer number of different products, the wide range of those products in most all areas of firearms, the blatant and colossal success of those products in the market, the ingenuity and innovative manufacturing technique of the company and that company's reputation for quality and service...

It's not a close comparison.

Opening a debate and taking a stand on Colt vs. Ruger or Smith & Wesson vs. Ruger is much more compelling and thought provoking. To suggest that High Standard holds some (any?) manner of "history" that might put them in a place above & beyond Ruger is folly. It would be like suggesting that the Tucker Automotive company has more "history" than does Honda Motor Company because Tucker's venture in to automobiles preceded Soichiro Honda's by a couple of decades.

(FWIW, Tucker also designed and built a military vehicle with a gun turret mounted on it that got the interest of the U.S., so he's likely got more "gun history" than Mr. Honda does. But if the debate is automotive, I think we could agree that Honda Motor has a wee bit more "history.")