The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 7, 2007, 09:19 PM   #1
shoebox1.1

went to gunshow today need help

i went to the gunshow today looking for a 1851/1860 44cal pistol to go with my 36 cal armi san paolo/euroarms and missed out on 3 guns! one guy had an exact copy of my gun. proof marks,caliber and all i thought ill go down these 2 isles and come back and buy it! .............AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH you know what comes next! i went back like 30-45 mins later and that gun was GONE. i thought no one would want some ol black powder brass gun!! i got plenty of time! this happend on 2 other guns today to me! there were not a lot of BP dealers at the show and only a few guns. the new in the box piettas, traditions, and ubertis all sat there. everyone there wants ar15's and uzi's!!!!! the guy that had my gun's "brother" said thats how it goes... see it happen all the time. NEVER WAIT AT THE GUN SHOW! you see somthing you like --get it! so if anyone has or can find me a brass 36 cal "hawes CA" 1851 pistol let me know!!! i didnt think i would want a pair of these but its grown on me. the proof mark under the loading lever says GDG. THANKS [email protected]

Last edited by shoebox1.1; January 7, 2007 at 09:22 PM. Reason: misspell
Old January 8, 2007, 07:51 AM   #2
LEE3370

Howdy,
The DGG logo mean that it was made by Armi San Paolo, now Euroarms.
Here is a link that will explain the marks and logos:

https://store.bluebookinc.com/Info/P...Proofmarks.pdf

Good Luck,
Lee
Old January 9, 2007, 11:50 AM   #3
arcticap

I often go around the entire show before I buy a gun just to make sure that I don't spend too much of my cash on 1 item only to find out later that the purchase left me without enough money to be able to buy something else that I would like more. This usually works out well because when I come back, it gives me a chance to haggle with the vendor who still has the item unsold and isn't sure whether I will buy it or not without a better deal. However, you're right about when you come across an item that you know that you really want, not to pass it by or else it could be gone when you return.
Woulda', shoulda' coulda' happens to all of us at some point in time.
It must have been such a shock to see the same model as yours sitting on the table for sale that you didn't realize that opportunity was knocking! Oh well, look at the bright side, maybe it just wasn't as good of a gun as the one that you already have but its evil twin!
Don't despair, there's probably a better twin [or model] that you'll like even better just around the corner.

Last edited by arcticap; January 10, 2007 at 03:48 AM.
Old January 9, 2007, 12:00 PM   #4
sundance44s

Sundance44s

A friend of mine just bought a 1858 Remington pistol that only has DixieGunWorks stamped on the barrel ... we did find the logo for Pallemento arms on the frame ...PalmTree .logo .. i know Dixie sells Euro remmies too..but this one is made by the Pallemento co.
Old January 9, 2007, 12:38 PM   #5
shoebox1.1

that walk around the show and make sure there isnt somthing else better is what i was trying to do and it burned me!! lol like you said oh well... it actually worked out better cause the money i had in my pocket that didnt get spent is now going for somthing (smokin deal) on my car project i have.