The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 8, 2011, 10:15 PM   #26
TheKlawMan

If stuntmanmike only had a clue about the people he thinks are part of a trend.
Old December 9, 2011, 08:55 AM   #27
StuntManMike

Quote:
If stuntmanmike only had a clue about the people he thinks are part of a trend.

I posted something which I have observed that is based on the prior postings that many people have made about themselves and their background. My observations are not limited to people in this thread nor do they include all of the people in this thread.

If you like a traditional stock then fine. However, you are the clueless one if you think you know what I have or haven't observed.
Old December 9, 2011, 09:40 AM   #28
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmyswag
Which stock is best? Any advantage im not seeing to the standard stock? Id like a pistol grip. Which is better the solid type or M4 type?
Standard stocks and pistol grip stocks work just fine. You need to get out and shoot guns with each to see what you like. With that said, I do not like pistol grips (w/o the stock). As for brand, I'm partial to Choate stocks. To be honest, I've never tried the other brands, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmyswag
Sights: bead/rifle/ghost ring?
First, my caveat: I'm not a highly trained operator/expert/retired LEO. With that said, for sights, I like those little magnetic high visibility sights, like these: http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/16701-1.html. If you've got a vent rib on the barrel, you just pop them on, and they stay on pretty well. They won't help you when it's so dark that you really need a flashlight, but then again, you shouldn't be shooting targets that you can't see. OTOH, in low-light situtations, like dusk or dawn, they're a whole lot more visible than the standard bead sight.
Old December 9, 2011, 03:37 PM   #29
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Mike, if that was directed at me, I've plenty of experience with stuff having separate PGs.

870s with folders. Both factory and early Choates.

M 16/AR15s.

At least two of my hunting rifles and a fighting rifle had them.

A 760 in 30-06,a similar 742 in the same caliber and a much tweaked SKS, to be specific. AND, I plan on putting together an AR soon. It will have one.

The stock typically found on shotguns, for most folks and when it fits, gives the best recoil protection and fastest recovery,IMO.

The best tool for the job. On a shotgun, that's the traditional stock.

However, if the other style works well for you, and you're well used to it, go ahead on.
Old December 9, 2011, 05:15 PM   #30
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Stunt, I have never been on a formal bird hunt or dirt dove shoot...

And I am a staunch supporter of traditional stock configuration.

I have offered to host folks who wish to spend a couple days in some gorgeous country shootin' guns, shootin' the bull and practicing a few drills.

The ability the average guy already has with a traditional gun is often far better than a guy trained in PGO or detached pistol grip (ar/ak sorts) use in some of the less ideal conditions or shooting positions... The speed from one mount to another hold is always faster for me while remaining lethally accurate with every shot.

And I cannot stress enought, the retention potential of the traditional gun over any other especially the pgo guns...

And never underestimate your opponents ability or skills. In some of my more heated informal drills, I prided my ability to turn a short rifle or shotgun onto the person holding it with a quickness.

In some of these settings, physical contact was not limited and we often ended up with black eyes, fat lips, goose eggs on the face and mouses (not the little plural rodents but them flesh knots) on the eye.

My gun was never taken from me with traditional stock unless the guy put me down and used his foot on my chest or throat to leverage it from my grip.

I often had it turned under my chin or at CoM if I tried the PGO or DPG stock installed.

Argue all you want but most who have worked severe duty drills prefer the traditional shape as much as clay champs and dove assassins.

Brent
Old December 9, 2011, 06:17 PM   #31
checkmyswag

Decided against the police model. Too much $.

Now planning on getting a cheap 870 and adding the minimum I need.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=471206
Old December 9, 2011, 06:45 PM   #32
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

minimum? I had a single shot with a pair of appropriate size "one hole conduit straps" clamping a first generation D cell maglight under it when I was a little kid night shootin' yotes at the chicken coops... One shot one kill... and the bulb often blew upon discharge so no real need for too many rounds in a mag tube...

Brent
Old December 9, 2011, 06:50 PM   #33
shortwave

My pick is a traditional stock with either a Hi Viz bead or no sight.
IMO, ghost ring sites just aren't needed at most HD distances and aren't applicable in low light conditions.
Old December 9, 2011, 08:56 PM   #34
TheKlawMan

I was never issued the M-16 but did my tour with an M-14, however I think there is a huge dif in shooting a lightweight bullet through an AR15 and a heavy 12 gauge load. I suppose the retired LEO that posted about the wrist problems caused by pistol grips on 12 gauges didn't know what he was talking about. Still, I suspect the pistol grip is fine for some applications. I just don't know of any. As for not knowing what stuntmanmike knows, that is one cross I don't have to bear.