The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old April 13, 2014, 03:25 AM   #1
Cosmodragoon

Good 00 or 000 Buckshot for .410 AR?

I know it's only .410 but the idea of having it in a light, semi-automatic platform with 15-round magazines is pretty cool. The problem seems to be that it can only use the shortest 2.5" shells. I've read lots of reports saying that Winchester and some other 2.5 shells are just a hair too long and get stuck. So who knows some good 00 or 000 buck shells that work reliably?
Old April 13, 2014, 07:22 AM   #2
bedlamite

http://www.alloutdoor.com/2013/11/13...ar-15-shotgun/
Old April 13, 2014, 02:21 PM   #3
Cosmodragoon

Thanks, Bedlamite. That's an interesting alternative but it isn't quite on the same page. The beauty of the .410 AR is that you get AR-like functionality in a shotgun. That is, a light shotgun with lighter recoil and higher magazine capability. This 5-shot 12 gauge doesn't really give me anything to want it over the wood-stocked pumps I've already got.
Old April 14, 2014, 12:42 PM   #4
Derbel McDillet

My wife's HD shotgun is Rossi/Taurus Circuit Judge 18" bbl .410 revolver shotgun. It's loaded with the Federal Premium Personal Defense 2 1/2" .410 "Handgun" shotshell (4 pellets 000 hardened, plated buckshot).

It's a light load (850 fps from a Taurus Judge revolver) so don't know if it will reliably cycle an ATI T-14 .410 AR shotgun.
Old April 14, 2014, 05:06 PM   #5
Cosmodragoon

My problem with the circuit judge, however visually attractive and cool in concept, is that it is rifled. Since I'd only ever use it for shot, I want a smooth bore and some cockamamie law that prevents it in that particular setup. I've also looked at them closely and the forcing cone is a little... large.

I really just want a semi-automatic, large-capacity, light-weight carbine that will reliably throw 3-5 balls of large shot down range. Since someone has been nice enough to invent the gun but not quite clever enough to make it work with all ammo choices, I'm trying to see which choices work and if my dream can come true...

Tags
.410 ar