The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old January 7, 2000, 06:41 AM   #1
kv4v

Can anyone tell me how to remove the cylinder from the yoke of a Colt Officers Model .38?
Thanks. Doc

------------------
Is that a pistol in your pocket or are you just glad to see me? .... Mae West
Old January 7, 2000, 11:03 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

Please don't take this the wrong way, but why do you want to? It is not easy even with the tool and there is usually no reason to do so unless something is broken and a good chance that something will be if you have no experience.

Jim
Old January 8, 2000, 10:31 AM   #3
kv4v

I wanted to clean the area on the yoke where the cylinder turns.The cylinder seems not to turn as freely as it used to in the past. I have cleaned my Smith & Wesson revolvers with good results when the cylinder-yoke junction became dirty. How can I remedy the dirt problem without disassembling those parts? Thanks. Doc
Old January 8, 2000, 11:11 AM   #4
Grayfox

Jim is correct. This requires a special tool and if you don't know just what you're doing, well...
Shoot some Gun Scrubber into it or soak it in good solvent for a while. If that doesn't fix it, I'd suggest a trip to a gunsmith.
Old January 8, 2000, 11:34 AM   #5
kv4v

Thanks. I will take your advice and leave well enough alone. Over the years I have ruined several mechanical objects by trying to "fix" them. Doc