The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 10, 2002, 06:08 PM   #1
AndABeer

Polishing the chambers of a .357

I have a Mateba which is a fun gun to shoot but it is a major pain getting the empties out. I suspect polishing the chambers would help a lot but I have never done this operation. I have all the tools to really muck up the job quite well so I am wondering what the thoughts are on the best way to perform this task is. I am quite willing to give Brownells more business.

"You are entitled to your own opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts." Unknown
Old May 11, 2002, 07:12 AM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Andabeer, Brownells sells a Flex-hone polisher for the .357 but you need to be careful if you go that route. These can remove metal rather quickly. Another little item the sell is a burnisher that is used by hand to polish chambers. Either will work well. George
Old May 12, 2002, 10:29 AM   #3
Fatelvis

George, do you need a drill press to use the Flex-Hone, or can you use an electric drill, and the appropriate oil? And also, how about a cylinder reamer, for opening up the mouths? -Thanx
Old May 12, 2002, 05:33 PM   #4
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

They sell a special honing oil for use with the flex hone and it is designed for use with a hand drill. They also sell cylinder chamfering cutters for use by hand. George
Old May 12, 2002, 10:07 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

You might try a slotted dowel rod or a slotted cleaning rod tip and a strip of 600 grit emery paper (local auto supply). If you think 600 might be too much, you can start with 1000 grit.

This will work faster than the burnisher, but not as fast as a hone. But it is not as likely to get away from you as a hone.

Jim