The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old January 24, 2013, 12:48 PM   #1
Rifleman1952

Feinstein's List of Weapons to be Banned

If I understand correctly, we will be able to keep what we already own, but will have to register our "banned" firearms with the federal government. Don't be surprised if the federal government demands possession upon the gun owner's death.

http://dailycaller.com/2013/01/24/fe...ss-conference/

I don't see the SKS on this list, perhaps because they are no longer manufactured.

Last edited by Rifleman1952; January 24, 2013 at 01:00 PM.
Old January 24, 2013, 12:52 PM   #2
breakingcontact

just a bill, not a law, needs to be defeated.

She doesn't just "get what she wants".
Old January 24, 2013, 12:54 PM   #3
JWT

She has her dog and pony show going on today. He bill is one of the most damaging of the entire lot if it happens to get through Congress. Hopefully it won't.
Old January 24, 2013, 01:16 PM   #4
Dr Big Bird PhD

The third rifle listed under "AR Types" is the Armalite M15 22lr

HOW PETTY is this woman?

Does she not see she's banning a "ruger 10/22" with expensive furniture?
Who you are is not a function of where you are. -Off Minor
Old January 24, 2013, 01:19 PM   #5
Wrothgar

Does anyone have a link to the actual legislation? Not just a picture from a third party website? I want to read the ACTUAL bill.
Old January 24, 2013, 01:27 PM   #6
spacecoast

Oops, I don't see my AK's make/model number listed on there, guess I'm in the clear.

Whoever put that list together has rocks in their head.
Old January 24, 2013, 01:30 PM   #7
bipe215

The scariest part of this is the law against handing down firearms to loved ones, and instead turning them in. That is confiscation, any way you look at it. I don't think it will pass, but I'm still writing emails to my Senators and Reps.

Steve
Old January 24, 2013, 01:32 PM   #8
Rifleman1952

http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/24/politi...-bill-details/

I believe the above link to CNN actually shows Feinstein's bill.
Old January 24, 2013, 01:39 PM   #9
win-lose

Here's the doc... it's not pretty.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf feinstein-automatic-weapons-ban-2013-summary.pdf (258.7 KB, 149 views)
Old January 24, 2013, 01:45 PM   #10
new_camper

Please tell me there is no chance of this passing, I want a 22/45 threaded barrel and this would kill any chance of that.
Old January 24, 2013, 01:52 PM   #11
win-lose

Looks like they will let you transfer banned weapons (with a background check)... I guess this is to make it more palatable.

Given the criteria, looks like my mini 14, mini 30 and m1a will be banned. The list they provide appears to be a distraction as the criteria is far more encompassing.
Old January 24, 2013, 01:55 PM   #12
para.2

Mmmm....Under handguns, it states "any semi-automatic version of an automatic firearm." Glock, anyone? I know the Glock 18 is an auto version of the Glock 17, But this could be twisted to ban all glocks, as a semi version of the 18.

That link is still not the full text of the actual bill, just a slightly more detailed summary than we've been seeing for weeks.

What else is hiding in there?
Old January 24, 2013, 02:06 PM   #13
cladano

So you have to register it with the govt and you're not allowed to transfer it.... so then the govt can confiscate it when you die....

ugh.... and why can't we see from our govt what is actually being proposed!

What's the bill number?
Old January 24, 2013, 02:07 PM   #14
BikeNGun1974

There IS a chance of this passing. That's why you need to write and call your reps and senators today and every week until they hold the vote.
Old January 24, 2013, 02:12 PM   #15
BGutzman

Another assault on freedom. The clearest of cases that the system is broken... Absolutely broken... The proposal itself should be grounds for impeachment of those who proposed it... Enough said.
Old January 24, 2013, 02:18 PM   #16
JWT

BikeNgun is absolutely right. If pro gun rights people don't keep up pressure on their Senators and Representatives this could concievably pass. The Ruger sites letter is a great way to start.
Old January 24, 2013, 02:33 PM   #17
new_camper

BikeNgun I have been writing and calling my reps, I have been telling anyone that I can to call and write. I am hoping that with the house in republican control that this wont pass. I was hoping that there would be enough opposition in the senate so that it won't even make it to the house but I dont know since the democrats have the senate.

Are there enough dems that are pro gun to kill it in the senate?
Old January 24, 2013, 02:36 PM   #18
Rifleman1952

Early in Obama's first term, many folks said "Obamacare" would never pass. How did "Obamacare" pass? It passed by bribing certain key swing legislators. Remember the "Corn-husker Kickback"? Float enough federal dollars (taxpayers dollars) to any legislator siting on the fence and the next thing you know, a bill, that a majority of citizens do not want, becomes law.

Join the NRA or other gun rights organization. Write your congressmen and senators. Read books like John Lott's MORE GUNS LESS CRIME and be prepared to discuss with friends and relatives the truth about what is going on.
Old January 24, 2013, 02:41 PM   #19
BikeNGun1974

It's really hard to say who will vote for it or against it.

Some Dems say they are against it. Some Republicans say they are for it.

I really don't know how this will go which, for me, is the biggest motivator out there.

If I know something is going a certain way, I can prepare. If I don't know, then it's time to take action.
Old January 24, 2013, 02:42 PM   #20
Glenn E. Meyer

Quote:
All semiautomatic pistols that can accept a detachable magazine and have at least one military feature: threaded barrel; second pistol grip; barrel shroud; capacity to accept a detachable magazine at some location outside of the pistol grip; or semiautomatic version of an automatic firearm.
So since there are fully auto Glock 18s, are the 17s banned? They are not direct versions but they are evil.
Old January 24, 2013, 02:49 PM   #21
Landis

Yes there is a chance. This has been changed from the original ban plan in that there is no requirement to register existing grandfathered guns and allowing the transfer and sale with the background checks. So if you have it you can keep it, and your investment is probably going to skyrocket.

This is what is insidious: we are suppose to feel relieved there won't be a confiscation, for now, and we won't have to register our "assault weapons" as NFA firearms, for now, but the costs to buy will rise and new production is essentially halted. This is essentially the '94 ban with no sunset and more inclusive of a whole lot more models. Please correct me if I am wrong.

This does nothing to prevent a school shooting, or addressing the underlying cause (ADHD drugs), and as soon as there is another tragedy there WILL be amendments to tighten the screws on the "previously legally owned firearm owner".

Keep the pressure on gents, this fight just got harder because it isn't quite as terrible, for now. Keep writing and calling your legislators.

This bill IS unconstitutional.
Old January 24, 2013, 02:56 PM   #22
Dr Big Bird PhD

We live in a world of lemmings
Who you are is not a function of where you are. -Off Minor
Old January 24, 2013, 03:07 PM   #23
JimDandy

Hahaha She did it. She's out to ban a black powder gun with a thumbhole stock. The BP Rifle at cabelas fails the one feature test, and is not manually operated by bolt, lever, or slide actions.

We still can't see the text of the bill I guess, and this is just a synopsis, but from what I can tell certain features will be banned in and of themselves- the entry on bullet butons and thumbhole stocks. Firearms with those features are exempted based on pre-existing ownership, or a list of action types... slide, lever, bolt...
Old January 24, 2013, 03:17 PM   #24
win-lose

Fox news is reporting that there is more to this than what is in the outline... there are also background checks on ammo (and magazines?) and mandatory reporting of ammo purchases larger than X rounds. I suspect there is even more that wasn't mentioned.
Old January 24, 2013, 03:38 PM   #25
RamItOne

She does this every January. This one just occurs with more hoopla going around.

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...rtant/DJyvnHz0