The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Closed Thread

Old November 6, 2012, 12:43 PM   #26
Elmer

Another thread where the OP asks for a psychic reading....

As was said. 8 rounds is enough, except when it's not. If I really thought an attack by 5 individuals was a likely occurrence, I'd want more.
Old November 6, 2012, 12:55 PM   #27
PiperSuperCubPilot

Quote:

What?
Old November 6, 2012, 02:32 PM   #28
langenc

I didnt read but a couple of posts.

The statistics by the FBI will show that attacks are usually over in less than 3 or 4 seconds w/ less than 3 shots fired, as I recall.
Old November 6, 2012, 02:50 PM   #29
Dragline45

Sure 8 shots should be enough but you are going to have a hell of a time concealing an 8 shot revolver. The cylinder is like an oil drum, those things are not meant for a concealed carry gun.
Old November 6, 2012, 03:51 PM   #30
Single Six

If you're concerned about it, have you given any thought to getting a 9mm or perhaps a .40? Two examples of many that come to mind are Glock and also S&W. Both offer guns in these calibers with high-cap magazines.
Old November 6, 2012, 04:04 PM   #31
nate45

With just a handgun, double tapping, or shooting till the threat goes down is usually not effective against more than two assailants. You just probably won't have the time, to shoot them all more than once, if its a full on assault. If its five people, all trying to harm you at once, you'd be lucky to shoot all of them one time each, before you were disabled. With two assailants it might be possible to have time to double tap both of them, but you might not. So 8 shots, ready to go and one or two speed loaders would be as good as a 1911, or a Glock 21, etc against multiple assailants.

In the end, it really comes down to, do you shoot as well with a N-frame revolver, as you do A S&W M&P, Glock, etc, etc. Do you like it better, its that simple. If you are happy and confident with a 627, then I think it would be plenty of firepower in most handgun SD situations.

tl;dr Can someone take out a five man hit squad with a 627? Probably not, but probably not with any other type handgun either.
Old November 6, 2012, 04:33 PM   #32
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

More than plenty if your first 2 or 3 shots are hits. IOf you need more than 8 rounds you need two guns and a re-loader to keep you supplied with a loaded gun.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old November 6, 2012, 04:54 PM   #33
Newton24b

if you ever actually look at statistics you should have realized this little rule,

you cannot predict anything, its like the weather man merely chooses from one of 25 possible computer generated predictions and wonders why its supposed to be a blizzard in july according to the computer, in texas..

theres a lot of people in high crime areas who get by with a fully loaded glock and a spare magazine, others with a j frame, in areas that swat teams dont want to go even though they have fully auto m 4 carbines and belt fed automatics bolted on their assault vehicles.
Old November 6, 2012, 04:59 PM   #34
pgdion

I think it's probably enough but that said, I keep a 15rd auto myself ... especially for home protection. I'll sometimes carry just 8 or 10 in a .380 (Bersa) but never for home use.

My only other thought is that if you think you might need more than 8 shots so you carry a reloader ... then you should be carrying a gun that holds more than 8 rounds. There are lots of great auto's out there that fill the bill and the time spent reloading as well as adding another chance to mess up, that could get you killed. IMO - reloading is for after the fight.

Last edited by pgdion; November 6, 2012 at 05:09 PM.
Old November 6, 2012, 04:59 PM   #35
Crow Hunter

Mindset

-If you aren't willing to fight, don't bother

Tactics

-If you have 5 determined attackers and they are armed, you really don't stand a chance unless you can use tactics to overcome their numerical superiority.

Skill

-If you can't hit what you are shooting at, it won't matter how many round you have

Equipment

-You have to have a weapon that you can use effectively

Honestly, chances are, if you just draw a weapon, a lot of criminals will just take off at a run, those that don't will probably run if you shoot one of them.

Those that don't do either of the above, will likely kill you no matter how many rounds you have because they have the Mindset that they are going to get YOU no matter the cost to them.

That type of Mindset is difficult to beat with Close Air Support.

Good luck.
Old November 6, 2012, 05:06 PM   #36
OldMarksman
Staff

Probably, but maybe not. Reflect upon this.
Old November 6, 2012, 05:26 PM   #37
jhenry

Having 8, or even 6 for that matter, of full snort 125 grain .357 Magnum on tap should be enough to settle about any encounter that comes to mind. Could you need more? Sure, but pretty unlikely.
Old November 6, 2012, 05:59 PM   #38
Sharpsdressed Man

If one's ability is less than stellar, then by all means pack lots of ammo. I have seen people miss a lot under stress. On the other hand, if there are multiple assailants, I have also known of instances where the defender used his gun to obtain other guns from his assailants, and continue the fight. Plan to use all the options available to you and your imagination.
Old November 6, 2012, 06:08 PM   #39
Super Sneaky Steve

8 should be fine. Have some moon clips/speed loaders near by for a full on zombie attack.

Remember you're responsible for where all those bullets go. Unloading a hi-cap mag may not be the best idea once the dust settles.
Old November 6, 2012, 06:09 PM   #40
Tinner666

This "Honestly, chances are, if you just draw a weapon, a lot of criminals will just take off at a run, those that don't will probably run if you shoot one of them", has been my experience. Get the one in front and the others tend to turn tail. Thugs aren't known for true bravery.
That's why two 6'8" thugs will attack an 89 y.o. woman with a walker instead of a policeman, fireman, person doing OC, or somebody that looks to be their own size.
Old November 6, 2012, 06:10 PM   #41
Deaf Smith

Quote:
Is 8 Rounds Enough?
For what? Bank takeover? A thug on the street trying to mug you? Nutjob shooting up the mall?

Just depends on several factors. How good are you? Fast? Shoot strait? Cool under pressure?

My Glock 27 has nine rounds of .40, my S&W J Centennial has five. I shoot alot, realistic shooting, but still I dunno if it will be enough. Just depends.

Deaf
Old November 6, 2012, 06:12 PM   #42
MLeake

Why do people keep assuming that having capacity automatically implies using capacity?

If I have 8+1 (I usually carry a 1911) plus two 8rd spares, but only need to fire one shot, I can do that.

If I have 5 (my 442) but need to fire 10, I am out of luck.
Old November 6, 2012, 06:12 PM   #43
Tinner666

Did you know that you could carry a small G26 with 12+1 and have spare mags on your person for the G17 which will also fit it? Not sure of other brands because I have no experience with them so somebody else might chime in with more info.
Old November 6, 2012, 06:14 PM   #44
.22lr

Why would any gun be enough?

Even a rifle with multiple 30 round magazines is of little to no use if your entire plan can be summarized as "rely on my gun"

Is there a way you can make your home's exterior less visually desirable?

Can you deny your attackers easy entry into your home?

Is there a system in place to rouse you from sleep and alert neighbors and/or police?

Have you determined a place in your home that gives you a realistic advantage?

Have you developed a plan that gives you a realistic advantage?

Have you sought out training that would give you a realistic advantage?

Home invaders have a few issues facing them
1) The invaded home needs to be worth their risk / effort
2) The homeowner is a bit of a wild card
3) The homeowner can impose a severe time limit by calling 911

Make the exterior of your home highlight the risk and downplay the reward of breaking in.

Put the bad guys on the clock. Then be an inconsiderate jerk and run down the clock by making getting in really hard.

Prepare yourself far beyond buying a gun and then spending many internet hours trying to find the perfect ammo; Prepare yourself by strengthening your plan, your home, and your mind, body, and spirit. The gun is the least important bit.

Oh, and .357 is way too big of a bullet. If I only have 8 shots before reloading, I wouldn't want something with such a gargantuan diameter. If I only get eight shots, I want my bullets no bigger than .30 and held in an en-bloc clip.
Old November 6, 2012, 06:17 PM   #45
BigJimP

Its a personal decision...how many rounds / and what kind of weapon to carry...

What works for me ( a K frame S&W with 6 rds /or a 1911 with 8 + 1 rds ) may not work for you.

I carry the gun I shoot the best ...

so yes, 8 rds is more than enough for me.
Old November 6, 2012, 06:23 PM   #46
zombietactics

The question "is it enough?" seems to indicate a fondness for the particular gun, absent any evaluation of its usefulness, and then an afterthought regarding its utility. Believe me, I understand.

With all due respect to the previous poster, it is not a matter of "what works for you", IMHO. This is because none of us picks our own fights, and "what works" will be up to whatever or whoever brings the fight to us. I don't get to choose "my fight", the circumstances, or how many I may need to address.

Nonetheless, 8 rounds of .357 mag, in the hands of anyone reasonably able to employ them, represent an excellent self-defense choice for any case involving a single attacker, IMHO. It may well be enough to serve two. Three? That's really pushing it, as far as I am concerned. (If you are the embodiment of everyone's Jason Borne fantasies of crack-shot awesomeness, I apologize for not realizing that all you need is a toothbrush to hold off half of the CIA.)

This being said, I can't imagine any case where having more rounds is a disadvantage. As such, a moon-clip setup seems called for.

Taking the notion further, I can't imagine any such SD incident "handled" with 8 rounds of .357 mag, which would not be equally well handled by 8 of 9mm, .40S&W, 45ACP ... heck go for .357sig or 10mm if you believe in magic. If 8 are "good enough", certainly 10 or more are better.

If you are "in love" with that revolver ... there's where the discussion ends. If not, perhaps something with greater capacity is your answer.

Last edited by zombietactics; November 6, 2012 at 06:33 PM.
Old November 6, 2012, 06:33 PM   #47
moxie

The late great Jeff Cooper said in an interview toward the end of his long life that he was aware of only one or two occasions when someone actually reloaded during a gunfight. Seven rounds seemed to be more than enough.

USAF Munitions 1969-1992
RVN 1972-1973
Old November 6, 2012, 06:40 PM   #48
zombietactics

Jeff Cooper's recollections are a poor counter to the scores of actual incidents where reloads were required and/or occurred. In other words, facts trump "some famous guy's memory" every time. Putting it simply: Jeff was/is wrong on this point.

I understand full well that even in cases with multiple attackers, putting rounds in the first might send the rest packing. That's a great outcome, IF that's what happens. Some bad guys are harder and more determined than others.

Even so, I've been in 4 separate SD incidents, each of which involved 3 or more attackers ... so please understand my skepticism regarding "average" or "most of the time". Wolves often travel in packs.

Given what we know about typical hit ratios, 7 rounds is barely enough to serve a single attacker. At minimum, that means a reload somewhere in there if you want to fight off two. I - like everyone I know - would like to believe that I'll make every round count. As much as my imagination might be comforting, I'd rather be prepared for a more robust sense of reality.

It somewhat attests to the notion that not having to reload so often in the first place might be the better choice.

Last edited by zombietactics; November 6, 2012 at 06:46 PM.
Old November 6, 2012, 08:56 PM   #49
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
But I'm concerned that 8 rounds isn't enough when there are 15 shot guns....
If 8 rounds aren't enough, I doubt that 15 rounds are enough either.

Rather than getting hung up on round count, get a gun that you shoot well, is accurate and reliable. I'd take a 8 round gun that I'm accurate with over a 15 round gun that I can't hit any thing with every time.
Old November 6, 2012, 10:18 PM   #50
Elmer

Quote:
Quote:
What?
How can anyone possibly know what you will need?
Closed Thread