The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 3, 2012, 07:58 PM   #1
Mrgunsngear

Streamlight TLR-1 Weapon Light Review

I've had multiple handgun lights over the years from the $25 Protac's to the Surefire X400s of the world but I keep coming back to the Streamlight TLR series. They're just great lights for the money. The TLR-1 can be purchased for $90-100 and used for $75-80. Tough to beat that for a C4 LED, 135 lumen light that's durable and instinctive to use. Here are some hits and misses for the TLR-1:

Pros:
-Durable. I have one of these lights that was smashed pretty hard into the ground during some training and it still works as good as new (evidence of that in the video below). I've also used it on 12ga shotguns, AKs, and ARs without issue
-Bright enough to disorient someone if shined in their face (135 lumen)
-2.5 hour constant on battery life
-Uses 2 CR123 batteries (pretty common these days)
-Temporary activation switch as well as a constant on mode
-Easily actuated controls
-Includes keys for Glock-style, Picatinny, Beretta 90two, S&W 99 and S&W TSW
-Comes with a 2 year warranty
-Cost. For the quality/performance of this light it's tough to beat at its' price point
-Ambidextrous control set

Cons:
-Weight. It weighs 4.2oz. (this could be a pro or con as it does help reduce muzzle flip when mounted on a handgun)

Here's a video running the light on a few guns, some daylight shooting using only the laser on a white background, a demonstration/comparison of the light's luminosity at night time, and some discussion of the pros and cons of the light:

TLR-1 HD Video Review Link

Old November 4, 2012, 08:48 AM   #2
Captains1911

I agree that it's the best weapon light for the value. I run a TLR1s on both my G19 abd G23, and another on my 870, never a problem with either. The only thing I dislike is they remind me of the $250 I paid for my Surefire X300.
Old November 4, 2012, 09:32 AM   #3
Erikbal

Deleted

Last edited by Erikbal; November 4, 2012 at 09:51 AM.
Old November 4, 2012, 10:19 AM   #4
Mrgunsngear

Quote:
The only thing I dislike is they remind me of the $250 I paid for my Surefire X300.
Ha! I have a X400 so I know how you feel
Old November 6, 2012, 05:18 PM   #5
Vireye

I have the TLR-1S (same light with added strobe feature) for my Sig. It's a great light. My one issue is that my strobe feature stopped working fairly early and the light went dim VERY quickly, but a quick email to Streamlight, and I had a brand new TLR-1S on its way to my house.

In addition to a quality light, they have quality customer service backing it up on the off chance you get one that isn't up to spec, as it appears mine was.
Old November 6, 2012, 05:29 PM   #6
Mrgunsngear

Good info there. Just to clarify though---it's not the same light; the "S" is brighter.
Old December 5, 2012, 05:18 PM   #7
dgludwig

Thanks for the informative review. Plouffedaddy, have you had any experience with the TLR-2S unit? I'm thinking that a laser combined with the light is something to think about having on a "nightstand" pistol. And the strobe feature is intriguing-though I've read many times that activating the strobe on the Streamlight product is tricky at best.
Old December 12, 2012, 05:49 PM   #8
tmoore912

Thanks for the review. Good information. Going to try one of the TLR-1s on my rifle.

Tags
streamlight