The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old March 12, 2013, 07:15 PM   #1
Wild-Bill

Jumped on a Rough Rider

Today I "bit the bullet" and bought a 6" Heritage Rough Rider 9 shot 22lr with the extra mag cylinder. Its like buying two guns at the same time. I didn't pick up any Mag rounds yet. Thought I would break it in on LR's first.
I wanted a "cowboy gun". This one half the cost of other SA revolvers, so it fit the checkbook. I like the gun.
My Sportsman's Club has an indoor "cowboy shoot" every other Friday. SA revolvers and Lever Action rifle, both .22 caliber. That's where I'll be this friday.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3-12-13 022.jpg (233.9 KB, 239 views)
Old March 12, 2013, 07:56 PM   #2
CajunBass

Congratulations. I bought one, a six-shooter, last week. I've shot a couple hundred rounds through it the last couple of days. Just plinking, nothing fancy or long range, but it'll bounce a can around.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old March 12, 2013, 08:22 PM   #3
Chesster

Congrats. My first SA combo was a Kimel. Now I use a Ruger and a Colt but got many years out of that old Kimel.
Vote 'Pro-Choice' on 2nd Amendment issues!!!
Old March 12, 2013, 08:41 PM   #4
Cheapshooter

Congratulations!
I have one I bought a few years ago. It's been a good range blaster, and lots of fun to shoot. Accuracy has been good, after a little "tweaking" of the front sight to bring POA, and POI together. I haven't used the magnum cylinder a great deal, but I will probably use it more now because 22WMR can actually be found at the LGS, and sporting goods stores. Unlike 22 LR!
I would have preferred a shorter barrel than the 6", but it was a good deal on a marked down, new in box gun. Besides, that gives me an excuse to but another one.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old March 12, 2013, 08:46 PM   #5
deerslayer303

Congrats on your new wheelie. I just got one also and am about to die to get out and shoot it. Mine did not come with a magnum cylinder. But in the box was a coupon for it, so I mailed it to Heritage today.
Old March 12, 2013, 08:49 PM   #6
Cheapshooter

Just Checked out the photo of your new prize. You have the adjustable sight model, which will negate any need to tweak the front sight as I did. I wanted the "true" cowboy look with the fixed sights, so had to make adjustment the ood fashoned way, or just aim to the left.The front sight looks obviously bent, but the windage is dead on now.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old March 13, 2013, 08:35 AM   #7
Tad_T

It's a nice looking Six Shooter. .22 Single Actions are a lot of fun.

I am sure you will enjoy it and the "Cowboy Shoot" sounds like a fun way to do that.
Old March 13, 2013, 04:05 PM   #8
Wild-Bill

I am anxious to try the fiber optic sites to see if my old eyes can pick up the target faster. In practice I can cock the RR with my left thumb where I couldn't with my Taurus 94 with the heavy hammer and small thumb pad.

We have to cock & fire 6 times as fast as you can, and of course hit some targets in a particular sequence. The targets are some kind of soft plastic 6" in diameter, 1/2" thick that fall when you hit them. They are at 25ft.
Five different sequences with the last one firing left handed. Or right if you are a southpaw.
Then we do it with Lever Actions.
The Cowboy Way
Old March 16, 2013, 10:53 PM   #9
Wild-Bill

Well, things didn't go so well first time out with the RR. A lot of FTF's.
The problem is that the cyl will not lock up on three chambers. The same three in a row everytime with out fail. When you try to cock, it backs the cyl up and will not go to the next chamber.
I tried the Magnum cylinder and it functions fine, everytime.
It is the 9 round 22lr cyl that I am having trouble with. I have checked the cyl timing slots with a micrometer and everything looks fine. I suspect the star wheel on the back of the cyl.
I have and email into Heritage.
Old March 18, 2013, 04:57 PM   #10
Wild-Bill

Sending the cylinder back for replacement. Trying to get Heritage to ship new cyl and include a return shipping label for the bad cyl.
Gun was three days old. Defective right out of the box.
Old March 19, 2013, 07:04 PM   #11
Wild-Bill

Update. Now they want the whole gun back.
I thought maybe I would go shoot some mags while waiting for the new 22lr cylinder, not.
They are at least handling all the shipping due to warranty. Thank You Heritage.
Old March 19, 2013, 09:21 PM   #12
CajunBass

Sorry to hear that. Keep us posted.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old March 26, 2013, 10:04 PM   #13
Wild-Bill

The Rough Rider took off for Florida today.
They wanted the entire gun as it is a 9 shot 22lr/mag, to ensure both cylinders are going to function properly after repair.
Gonna miss two "cowboy" shoots with it coming up this friday and the following friday.
I'll have to use the "ole" Tauri 94 I guess.
Today I drooled over a Ruger Single 10 with fiber sites at Gander MT. Twice the cost of the RR. My pocket said OK , but my head said NO.
Old March 27, 2013, 07:00 PM   #14
Venom1956

But a Single Ten your paying for the quality of materials going in. Its made just as nice as a fullsize CF SA revolver.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old March 27, 2013, 08:41 PM   #15
Wild-Bill

I don't doubt the quality after looking at the Single 10. It is a stainless beauty. After, and, if the dust settles in this sport, I will seriously consider the Single 10 and pass along the RR to my step-son.
Old April 10, 2013, 10:40 AM   #16
Wild-Bill

Rough Rider Saga, continues

The RR came back today Special Delivery Fed Ex.
It still does not lock up now on one chamber, one of the three original chambers that I had trouble with. Same cylinder. They supposedly adjusted a "hand". When you try to cock it instead of locking into the timing slot it backs up the cylinder.
I am surprised the cylinder wasn't replaced as there is a nick in one of the timing slots.
The magnum cylinder works fine.
I am saying they did not check out this repair very good if it failed for me right away.
My call to Heritage repair was handled very well and a second UPS label is on its way to me. They were very apologetic and promised to get the problem corrected.
Old April 12, 2013, 04:09 PM   #17
Wild-Bill

I took the RR to my FFL yesterday. He happened to have another 9 shot RR, so we took that cylinder and put it in my gun, the cylinder worked perfectly. The included mag cylinder works perfect also, We then took my cylinder and put it in the FFL's RR and it would not lock up on two cylinders. Bad cylinder...
They wanted to send me a new cylinder at first until they realized it was a 9 shot and said the gun had to come back to the factory. Lotta good that did. They did not replace the cylinder and didn't fix the gun.
If they would have just sent a new cylinder. Instead now they have to absorb 4 shipping charges. Sorta "shoots" the h*** out of profit.
The gun left again today for warranty repair. Purchased 3-11-13.
Old May 10, 2013, 02:51 PM   #18
Wild-Bill

I definitely should not have jumped on this RR.
Got the gun back yesterday from the second trip to Heritage since new Mar 11. Cylinder was replaced with yet another defective cylinder. This one jams while cocking on one chamber, same chamber everytime. Star wheel point is damaged.
Waiting on Heritage's response.
More later.
Old May 10, 2013, 02:58 PM   #19
newfrontier45

This is why I always suggest spending a little more for a used Ruger.
Old May 10, 2013, 04:59 PM   #20
Wild-Bill

Or a Uberti...
Old May 10, 2013, 05:28 PM   #21
Carmady

They don't call it a Rough Rider because it's easy.
Old May 10, 2013, 05:43 PM   #22
rclark

Somehow you really got a lemon!

My RR experience was good. Right out of the box it shot fine windage wise. Only problem I had was the hand spring broke many rounds later which I replaced. Problem free and accurate. Of course now that I have a tuned Ruger Single Six, the o' RR is taking a vacation! Never did bother to shoot the WMR cylinder. BTW, I never did try to shoot it 'fast and furious'... Just target shot with it and some plinking.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old May 10, 2013, 06:37 PM   #23
Wild-Bill

I started with the RR because of the fiber sights and it was less expensive. Before I went down the other road I wanted to find out if this type of gun was for me. I still don't know as I have not been able to use it. I have sent two emails to Heritage with no response so far.
My ole faithfuls at this time are the Taurus 94, and a Crosman C31 Co2 BB pistol.
Old May 13, 2013, 01:39 AM   #24
22-rimfire

Wild-Bill, I would just get a Ruger Single Six or Ten and you can just ride out the Rough Rider saga until completion. Based on what I have read, your experience is somewhat unique. Judging by the Taurus M94 that you already own, I'd say you need to re-think your 22 revolver needs.
Old May 13, 2013, 10:09 AM   #25
weblance

There are always used Ruger Single Sixes on Armslist, for maybe $100-$150 more than what you paid for the RR. They are 3 times the gun the RR is. Even when bought used, they will last forever. A SA revolver doesnt get as much heavy usage as say, a Semi Auto pistol does, so there are no worries buying a used Ruger SA. I have a ST and 2 SSs. Excellent revolvers that will last until the next ice age. Sorry to hear about your problems with the RR.