The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 6, 2012, 09:15 AM   #26
tango1niner

the extractor is not working properly right?? So you really can't make it worse right?? Mark on your bolt its location then REMOVE it, determine what you need and then clean your bolt, reshape yours if it is bent up (the pics I posted are new extractors) then re-install and try (no money spent) or ask Oneoldsap very nicely if he would sell you one of his inventory or would install it if you sent him the bolt and some bucks. I would make the offer but I only have one of each style and none for sale. I would venture that a Rem. 700 extractor (not the whole bolt) is worth checking into as it might be a suitable replacement.

Last edited by tango1niner; April 6, 2012 at 10:53 AM.
Old April 6, 2012, 11:19 AM   #27
OneForAll

I checked around and a lot of people are saying that the Remington 700 rivet less extractor doesn't work right. I notice that when you shifted the extractor around in my bolt that you could noticeably feel something built up behind the extractor. I dis-assembled the bolt only to find out I don't think this thing has ever been cleaned, or oiled. I spent the better have of yesterday cleaning the bolt inside and out without removing the extractor until the extractor moved freely and what little rust that started forming on the firing spring had been removed. The thing operates better than the day I got it, so I'm Pretty happy. I'll keep an eye out for a new extractor and when I find some, I'll buy them all. Thanks for all your advice Tango1niner.
Old April 6, 2012, 12:03 PM   #28
tango1niner

I generally don't agree with alot of people because generally alot of people are full of crap. Self proclaimed experts and such. I am not a gun expert by any means but have been around them a long time. I am a retired machinist/toolmaker and have seen alot of broken things that weren't broken but just dirty. As far as the Rem. 700 rivetless extractor goes I would would have to disagree with alot of people. While they might not be as robust and positive as the Mauser, Springfield rifle, M70 Winchester claw extractors when they are maintained as they should be they work fine. Just my $.02, glad I could help.
Old April 6, 2012, 12:16 PM   #29
OneForAll

No, thank you, sincerely. I was really worried about the gun, it was my first gun I owned. I like it when you find honest people still exist in the world today who are willing to help and are so nice about it. Thank you once again, if I have gun trouble question, I look forward to any advice you'll have for me. Thanks
Old April 6, 2012, 03:11 PM   #30
stainless1911

What about this OneOldSap member, did you see if he has one?
Old April 7, 2012, 01:09 PM   #31
Scorch

I think oneoldsap was right. And he says he has them, so PM him.